Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

What an unrestricted wifi spark does - speed and 350m range

Mako79

Join
May 31, 2017
For scientific purposes

Reactions: DroneX
Yes. Its a modded apk.
It's also a special spark firmware with the wifi restriction removed.
I have to tread lightly on this topic as this may be frowned upon on this forum. I don't see what i have done is illegal as i am flying within line of site.
I am just trying to prove that DJI has artificially limited the wifi to boost flymore package sales.

Ah wasn't aware of modified fw, got a link (PM is you prefer) ? You could certainly get even better range with a little extender like the Xiaomi Nano/Youth, but with forced 2.4Ghz and hoping that it doesn't decide to switch to 5.8Ghz while in flight !

DJI doesn't want mods posted to their support forums, because it is unsupported. I don't think it matters here, so long as folks are aware it voids all warranty.

WiFi power may be limited for heat reasons. Transmitters get hot when powered up, and the Spark runs hot as it is. Plus, they must comply with local laws.

The FlyMore package and RC get better range not because of more power, but better antennas. Your phone is a very general purpose, low gain, omni antenna, and depending on how it is held, may be out of phase with the Spark. The RC has two higher gain antenna which send and receive a more focussed signal. That's why the better range.

Ah wasn't aware of modified fw, got a link (PM is you prefer) ? You could certainly get even better range with a little extender like the Xiaomi Nano/Youth, but with forced 2.4Ghz and hoping that it doesn't decide to switch to 5.8Ghz while in flight !

I ordered the Xiaomi Nano youth. It's on Snail-mail from china. Good thing the apk that i have locks to 2.4Ghz. Cant wait to see what range it can pull.

DJI doesn't want mods posted to their support forums, because it is unsupported. I don't think it matters here, so long as folks are aware it voids all warranty.

WiFi power may be limited for heat reasons. Transmitters get hot when powered up, and the Spark runs hot as it is. Plus, they must comply with local laws.

The FlyMore package and RC get better range not because of more power, but better antennas. Your phone is a very general purpose, low gain, omni antenna, and depending on how it is held, may be out of phase with the Spark. The RC has two higher gain antenna which send and receive a more focussed signal. That's why the better range.

I am looking at wearing a aluminium foil shirt or carry a brass wok

Reactions: suprPHREAK

Forum guideline 16, you should read it.

For this, I fully agree with you.
Modding the soft/firmware is just a call for issue with limited gain not worst the risk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers