Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using Amazon Fire with OTG

Laurent

Join
Aug 17, 2017
Since I cannot make otg connection with spark's remote with my Samsung A5 2016, I was looking for the least expensive alternative. Do no want to buy another Ipad Mini (I have the 1st generation but does not work with Dji Go 4 of course ...) so I found this. Hope this helps!

DJI Go App on Amazon Kindle Fire!

&

My timing could not have been better.

Amazon dropped the fire hd to £49.99 last night so ordered one.

I am also very interested in using a Fire 7 / 8 HD with my Spark - happy to hear that the DJI app can be installed on the Fire.

What are the experiences like regarding the performance? Is the app running sluggish? Any video lags? OTG working?

As far as I know the Fire does not have GPS. Are there any drawbacks of NOT having GPS on the device?

I just got the Fire HD 8 working. With WIFI connection everything seems to work. Not so with OTG.

But for $49.99 I Can't complain, too much. OTG gets good video but no telemetry. ( Alt, Dist, Speed Battery etc)

Reactions: Wanderer
Good to know, thx. Are there any disadvantages because the Fire does not provide GPS?

Anyone tried a Fire 7? Ordered mine and wait to see.
I think that's the one I have, amazon or woot seems to have them on sale continuously lately for about $30. Works fine here though you have to keep the go app's version at .15 because .18 disables the cable.

The only problem I really run across is I sometimes have to unplug/replug the cable, and when you use the cable the Go app stops remembering your custom controller settings for some reason. (like how you have defined the Fn and right lower button) This is the case with my iPhone also though, so nothing to do with the Fire. The Go app seems more or less identical in operation on either platform. (both are a little buggy, and can be quite unstable at times)

I am about to order one - the only thing that still holds me is the lack of GPS.

What functions won't be available if there is no GPS on the device? Will I be able to use the map feature? Active tracking? Dynamic home point?

I am about to order one - the only thing that still holds me is the lack of GPS.

What functions won't be available if there is no GPS on the device? Will I be able to use the map feature? Active tracking? Dynamic home point?
It depends on the GPS of your Spark, not the tablet. Everything works except the map. But don't get me wrong, first, preloaded the maps on your Fire, problem solved, second as I just said, it's based on your Spark GPS, so the map will pick up certain info from Spark.

I do not use the map too much while flying, but I have no problem to playback my flights in the app 1nd maps are correct.

There is a feature to set the home point to the location of the controller, that function will not work with the fire because it can' tell where the tablet is. (and the controller has no GPS) Takeoff homepoint and dynamic homepoint both go by location of the Spark though, and that only requires the Spark's GPS.

It depends on the GPS of your Spark, not the tablet. Everything works except the map. But don't get me wrong, first, preloaded the maps on your Fire, problem solved, second as I just said, it's based on your Spark GPS, so the map will pick up certain info from Spark.

I do not use the map too much while flying, but I have no problem to playback my flights in the app 1nd maps are correct.

How do you playback your flight ?

What about the live video transmission with the Fire 8 HD? Is it smooth enough (in terms of framerate) or kind of choppy? And is there a noticeable delay?

What about the live video transmission with the Fire 8 HD? Is it smooth enough (in terms of framerate) or kind of choppy? And is there a noticeable delay?
When I said playback I meant the flight record playback which contains the map info. On Fire that has no GPS it has no problem to show you correct map info, it is definitely from the Spark itself.

Re the transmission video on Fire, I have to say forget about it, I use 3 different Android devices including Fire and Samsung S5, they are horrible!! I never can use them they are lagging, pixelated, and sometimes disconnected. Only when I borrowed an iPhone (6+) I see the best transmission video, however, they are in 720p so only good for your phone or social media show-off.

Too bad - that kicks the Fire from my list :( Smooth live video is absolutely essential.

Currently I am using a Cubot Max 6" Android Phablet (135 EUR) which has 100% smooth playback and app handling. It's quite perfect. But I thought it would be nice to have a 7" - or even better - 8" display.

Anyone using a low budget Android tablet (7-8") that works well with DJI Go?

The $50 phones from Walmart with no cellular service work well.

The problem is with the latest firmware if you're in a no-fly zone you have to have internet connection at the point of take off.

You do not need a mobile connection to unlock NFZ. I am also using a phone without SIM card. That's no problem if you "self-unlock" No-Fly Zones in your DJI account (at home) before going to fly:

Unlocking No-Fly Zones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme