Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Trying to figure out the whole firmware upgrade process

T.Kauffman

Join
Jan 5, 2018
And not getting very far.

I've downloaded and installed DJI Assistant 2 but can't get logged in - it wants a verification code and I've no idea where to find it (if it is supposed to be that area to the right - I get something that looks like an open box at an angle with no text).

If I do get past this - is there any way to just download the current firmware files to my laptop and then do the updates without having the spark/controller/etc with me at download time? My home internet is dial-up, so I haul my laptop to my local Starbucks for any download over 6 MB - and I have no desire to try to play with the DJI hardware here.

TIA -
Tom

I think that the verification code is being blocked by your AntiVirus/MalWare program

I managed to get into my account with firefox without any issue - but if Assistant is trying to get internet options from MS Explorer it will never work - I don't let explorer access the internet. My AV is MalwareBytes Pro.

OK - it is getting settings from IE; I absolutely hate software that ignores my default browser setting. Now that I'm in. all I get is a graphic on how to connect an Inspire 2; as I said above, NOT interested in bringing all the hardware to Starbucks to do firmware upgrades.

(BTW - retired mainframe sysadmin/systems programmer, just playing with Spark to see if I want to get serious in the hobby)

Last edited:
Assistant doesn't use a browser (i.e. Chrome, FireFox, etc.) it uses the internet connection, thus you're test was invalid. Try disabling MalwareBytes Pro, then right click on Assistant and "run as administrator" if using Windows OS

Assistant doesn't use a browser (i.e. Chrome, FireFox, etc.) it uses the internet connection, thus you're test was invalid. Try disabling MalwareBytes Pro, then right click on Assistant and "run as administrator" if using Windows OS

Well - no. I changed IE to NOT use my local proxy server and Assistant gave me a verification code and let me sign in. MalwareBytes gives an explicit alert when it blocks a web site and I wasn't getting that.

Ah...didn't realize you were blocking any proxy. So you're good to go right?

Ah...didn't realize you were blocking any proxy. So you're good to go right?

Well, I hope so - but it looks like I have no choice but to drag all the hardware here to Starbucks - I was really hoping that Assistant could just download all the firmware files and then be used off-line to do the updates as needed.

Well, I hope so - but it looks like I have no choice but to drag all the hardware here to Starbucks - I was really hoping that Assistant could just download all the firmware files and then be used off-line to do the updates as needed.
Is it because you don't want to open up your network?

Is it because you don't want to open up your network?

My home internet is dail-up with a 210 minute maximum connect time (between 8.8 and 10.2 MB download, depending on connect speed) and there is no wi-fi in the area. In addition, the house is a Faraday cage - foil-covered foam insulation in the walls and a steel roof. I had to install an outside antenna/inside booster/repeater to get signal for my phone when I bought it last year. I could allow access to my in-house wi-fi, but since it doesn't have internet connectivity it wouldn't help much.

The Starbucks has google gigabit service, but it is small - to the extent that one or more items would be under my chair while trying to do firmware updates. Not what I want to do.

My home internet is dail-up with a 210 minute maximum connect time (between 8.8 and 10.2 MB download, depending on connect speed) and there is no wi-fi in the area. In addition, the house is a Faraday cage - foil-covered foam insulation in the walls and a steel roof. I had to install an outside antenna/inside booster/repeater to get signal for my phone when I bought it last year. I could allow access to my in-house wi-fi, but since it doesn't have internet connectivity it wouldn't help much.

The Starbucks has google gigabit service, but it is small - to the extent that one or more items would be under my chair while trying to do firmware updates. Not what I want to do.
Ah...now I understand

To the OP, some options ...

Do you have sufficient cellular coverage on your cell phone that you could use it as a hotspot to download the firmware?
Is it possible to sit outside of Starbucks to do the update with your Spark (so as to be less obtrusive to other patrons)?
Do you have any friends or family nearby with better internet service at their house?
Or you could just keep the firmware you have and fly like that just fine.

To the OP, some options ...

Do you have sufficient cellular coverage on your cell phone that you could use it as a hotspot to download the firmware?
Is it possible to sit outside of Starbucks to do the update with your Spark (so as to be less obtrusive to other patrons)?
Do you have any friends or family nearby with better internet service at their house?
Or you could just keep the firmware you have and fly like that just fine.

I could do the download/install over the cell connection, although I really hate to do it (old-school system administrator type - don't do ANYTHING wireless, always use a hard connection) - but the DJI crapware device driver that assistant uses won't install on Windows 8.1 as it is unsigned and I see I need to change EFI bios settings to change this, and I've really got better things to do with my life.

I could do the download/install over the cell connection, although I really hate to do it (old-school system administrator type - don't do ANYTHING wireless, always use a hard connection) - but the DJI crapware device driver that assistant uses won't install on Windows 8.1 as it is unsigned and I see I need to change EFI bios settings to change this, and I've really got better things to do with my life.
Well, when you are at Starbucks, you are connected to WiFi, right? What's the difference?

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Well, when you are at Starbucks, you are connected to WiFi, right? What's the difference?

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

That's the download. Downloads are restartable. The update would have been by wire, less subject to interruption or corruption. Now I get to do the update by wifi and quite frankly I'm not happy about it.

Okay. Well, again good luck.

With seriously all due respect, I think you are taking the whole process way too seriously. Just go out and fly. And hopefully, you will come to the realization that updating over WiFi is no big deal and is completely safe for the Spark.

Have fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran