Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Thoughts/questions after a week

redsox93

Join
May 23, 2018
Loc
Toronto, Ontario
So I've had my spark for about a week now. Finally got to do some real good test flights up at my cottage this week...I must say overall I'm super impressed with the spark. For how small it is this thing packs a punch! It zips around super quick, takes some really nice video footage and handles itself really well in the wind.

My one major concern is the lag on the video feed when flying. Once I was out..say 100m or more, my video feed would start to lag, and anything beyond 150-200 M I would lose video transmission signal. Would an OTG cable help with this? I was also unable to fly beyond that 200m mark because I would lose signal, however, I must say the return-to-home fail-safe really impressed me every time.

I also found gesture control to be a bit gimmicky...couldn't really get it to follow me very well...but that's really not a big concern for me at all.

So I've had my spark for about a week now. Finally got to do some real good test flights up at my cottage this week...I must say overall I'm super impressed with the spark. For how small it is this thing packs a punch! It zips around super quick, takes some really nice video footage and handles itself really well in the wind.

My one major concern is the lag on the video feed when flying. Once I was out..say 100m or more, my video feed would start to lag, and anything beyond 150-200 M I would lose video transmission signal. Would an OTG cable help with this? I was also unable to fly beyond that 200m mark because I would lose signal, however, I must say the return-to-home fail-safe really impressed me every time.

I also found gesture control to be a bit gimmicky...couldn't really get it to follow me very well...but that's really not a big concern for me at all.
The OTG should help the lag. Not sure about the signal loss. Try force closing the Go4 app in device settings prior to flight. then turn on rc then the ac and then open Go4. Any other fight programs on the same device should be forced closed as well. Also, be sure the wifi is off on any device that has been connected to your ac. I fly with a tablet, but occasionally tested settings with my phone. Both devices will connect with drone at same time degrading the signal and operation. I realized this when flying with signal problems and heard voice prompts coming from my phone in my pocket! Turned phone wifi off, and issues resolved. Hope this helps.

The OTG should help the lag. Not sure about the signal loss. Try force closing the Go4 app in device settings prior to flight. then turn on rc then the ac and then open Go4. Any other fight programs on the same device should be forced closed as well. Also, be sure the wifi is off on any device that has been connected to your ac. I fly with a tablet, but occasionally tested settings with my phone. Both devices will connect with drone at same time degrading the signal and operation. I realized this when flying with signal problems and heard voice prompts coming from my phone in my pocket! Turned phone wifi off, and issues resolved. Hope this helps.
Definitely going to try an OTG...it's only $10 worth a shot. I definitely didn't have more than one device connected as I've only ever connected to my iPhone. Also read that having your bluetooth on can interfere with the signal...so I'm going to try turning that off as well. Any other suggestions to get some more range out of my spark?

Definitely turn off Bluetooth, I’m a new flyer as well, I don’t use an OTG (personal choice). The only time I have had problems is when I forget to turn Bluetooth off. I couldn’t say how far away my spark has flown from me. It has been a speck in the sky with clear signal on my iPad the entire time. Keep a clear line of sight, avoid power lines & metal structures which can cause interference. Have fun flying!

Any other suggestions to get some more range out of my spark?

These parabolic reflectors may work, but you have to make sure to keep the remote pointed at the Spark as the signal is concentrated in one direction .

Affordable and no modifications to the remote.:)

Definitely going to try an OTG...it's only $10 worth a shot. I definitely didn't have more than one device connected as I've only ever connected to my iPhone. Also read that having your bluetooth on can interfere with the signal...so I'm going to try turning that off as well. Any other suggestions to get some more range out of my spark?

I am brand new at the Spark, been reading here for ages however, I noticed in all my pre-flght hands on testing that even in my living room there was a lag between the iPhone and the camera on 5.8 wifi, very slight. Once I tried the OTG connection, it was gone. My very first flight this past Saturday was with the OTG, was smooth. As for range, watch the youtube range test videos. VLOS is something to consider depending on rules in your country.

Just ordered my OTG cable, should be here friday for me to try out. In the mean time I'm going to play around with the wi-fi channels tonight, and pointing my antennas in a more optimum direction, see what happens. How can I tell if I'm flying in FCC mode or not? FCC is the best right?

Just ordered my OTG cable, should be here friday for me to try out. In the mean time I'm going to play around with the wi-fi channels tonight, and pointing my antennas in a more optimum direction, see what happens. How can I tell if I'm flying in FCC mode or not? FCC is the best right?

You are in the USA correct? FCC mode all the way. Same for Canada.

Reactions: theflyer
You are in the USA correct? FCC mode all the way. Same for Canada.
Nope, I live in Toronto (I know my username is a bit confusing haha)...my cottage is located close to Parry Sound. Had the same connection/distance issues at both. If we get FCC all throughout Canada, and FCC mode is where you can supposedly go 2km (although I'd be happy getting anywhere from 500m-1000) what else could be going wrong? While flying at my cottage this weekend, the furthest I got away was just slightly over 200M away, and that was basically flying across my lake, open water - nothing to interfere...lost video feed around that distance though and next thing I know sparky is flying back home (can't argue with this though, when you see sparky flying home after losing connection to your controller it has to put a smile on your face)

Last edited:
I am up and down highway 11 every week, between Toronto and the North Bay area. Know Parry sound a little too... :cool:

Wondering if its an altitude thing you're experiencing. Have you tried increasing altitude as you get further out? Are you aiming the controller consistently at the drone, antennae mostly vertical and parallel to each other? Are you flying backwards (drone facing you) out at that distance? Those are all factors in distance. Have you tried 2.4 instead of 5.8ghz? Any large metal buildings on shore near you? Cant think of much else, other than your neighbours using wifi close by... Check the channel selection in the wifi settings, pick a quieter one if there is.... From what I have seen the parabolic add ons seem to work for most folks... I may get some once I actually fly more than my first attempt :p (one test flight so far!)

Red Sox, tsk tsk! :mad:;)

PS: FCC or other modes get picked based on your GPS location in the world, if for example you visited England, you're not going to get FCC mode whilst there.... (unless you us non standard software) Normally you have no choice in the matter....someone else here can give better guidance on this I am sure!

Last edited:
I am up and down highway 11 every week, between Toronto and the North Bay area. Know Parry sound a little too... :cool:

Wondering if its an altitude thing you're experiencing. Have you tried increasing altitude as you get further out? Are you aiming the controller consistently at the drone, antennae mostly vertical and parallel to each other? Are you flying backwards (drone facing you) out at that distance? Those are all factors in distance. Have you tried 2.4 instead of 5.8ghz? Any large metal buildings on shore near you? Cant think of much else, other than your neighbours using wifi close by... Check the channel selection in the wifi settings, pick a quieter one if there is.... From what I have seen the parabolic add ons seem to work for most folks... I may get some once I actually fly more than my first attempt :p (one test flight so far!)

Red Sox, tsk tsk! :mad:;)

PS: FCC or other modes get picked based on your GPS location in the world, if for example you visited England, you're not going to get FCC mode whilst there.... (unless you us non standard software) Normally you have no choice in the matter....someone else here can give better guidance on this I am sure!

Generally speaking, while flying out over my lake I stayed at a relatively consistent height lets say (40m-60m). Also, generally speaking I would also stand facing the way my drone was out flying, but I watched a video about the positioning of antennas (apparently the tip isn't the strongest part of the signal) so I'm going to adjust those next time. I also didn't try any other channel except 5.8...I had my wifi signal set to auto, and didn't mess with any of those options, so also something else to try next time I'm up there. And no, no large buildings anywhere remotely close to me (cottages would be the biggest, but I'm easily flying 30m + over them), and I'm highly doubting anyone has wi-fi up there.

Try elevating your aircraft gradually as you increase the distance, from what you've said that could possibly make a difference. Antenna position too. Let us know. Its a collective learning experience here.

Also, any power lines, transformers or such around your cottage area?

You can check for Wifi users with your smartphone, let it scan for networks.

Try elevating your aircraft gradually as you increase the distance, from what you've said that could possibly make a difference. Antenna position too. Let us know. Its a collective learning experience here.

Also, any power lines, transformers or such around your cottage area?

You can check for Wifi users with your smartphone, let it scan for networks.
Negative on all accounts...my cottage is also pretty remote, so I can be assured that theres no more than maybe a dozen networks on my whole lake. Nothing comparable to Toronto where I live, which I'm able to get roughly the same distance

Correctly facing the antennas is huge. Keep the flat part of both antennas parallel and facing the direction of the drone. The tips should be facing up at this point. With no additional parts and using all dji approved software. I can consistently get to 1000 meters with no video lag and no disconnects. This is without an OTG cable on 5.8. You will get better range on 2.4, however your live video feed will suffer for the added range. I also use manual wifi selection every time I fly in a new location. Pick the shortest green bar on the screen, this step has also improved my flights.

Nope, I live in Toronto (I know my username is a bit confusing haha)...my cottage is located close to Parry Sound. Had the same connection/distance issues at both. If we get FCC all throughout Canada, and FCC mode is where you can supposedly go 2km (although I'd be happy getting anywhere from 500m-1000) what else could be going wrong? While flying at my cottage this weekend, the furthest I got away was just slightly over 200M away, and that was basically flying across my lake, open water - nothing to interfere...lost video feed around that distance though and next thing I know sparky is flying back home (can't argue with this though, when you see sparky flying home after losing connection to your controller it has to put a smile on your face)
Easy to confirm you are in fcc mode.
On go4 app, check the channels that are available. If 11 in 2.4ghz band you are FCC, if 13 then you are in CE mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav