Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Techcrunch Review - DJI Spark is fun, but not the mainstream drone we were promised

clackey

SparkPilots Owner
Staff member
Join
May 26, 2017
Loc
Southlake, Texas
"Truly mastering the drone takes more than a couple of days of testing, of course. But that brings into sharp relief the fact that the Spark isn’t really the beginner’s product it might have seemed at first. The simple fact of the matter, though, is that such a device doesn’t really exist yet. The promise of pulling out a drone for a quick selfie is still years out."

Full story - The DJI Spark is fun, but not the mainstream drone we were promised

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
I kinda disagree...In today's world with smart phones, tablets, video games, etc., most people have the "soft skills" to navigate around various GUI menus and grasp certain concepts in regards to technology. Yes the older generation could have some difficulty and of course you'll always have some idiots that'll attempt to do **** that the drone was intended for.

Any person who can not learn to fly a small drone like the spark safely and responsibly should not be flying drones in the first place. I think DJI hit the mark with the spark in that it is just still challenging enough to fly that it will weed out the wannabes. Also it sounds like there was a lot of user error in that review. The spark (and even the mavic) does not have rear obstacle avoidance. Dji states in the manual that when rth is initiated the drone flies upward. They should not have flown backwards under a tree and then rth...

One thing that helps in the gesture mode is to watch the lights when they change color from red to green to yellow etc. Knowing what the Spark is telling you go a long way in controlling it effectively. Waving your hand fast doesn't seem to work as well as a slow to medium wave.

Yeah, and trying to demo the drone in a crowded area with lots of hazards like trees (obvious is obvious), tall buildings (GPS signal bouncing or poor signal strength) and what looks like electrical lines (EM interference and possible electrocution) will most likely result in the unfortunate loss of the drone or drone user.

I would like to know where and when DJI promised a new "Mainstream Drone"? I have yet to hear of any thing like that, so where did this info come from?

I would like to know where and when DJI promised a new "Mainstream Drone"? I have yet to hear of any thing like that, so where did this info come from?

I guess TechCrunch wants a new mainstream drone....no idea what they're talkin about! Maybe they want a Phantom 5?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme