Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark: WiFi Technology?

RPL

Join
Jul 17, 2018
Currently awaiting my recently ordered Spark, and I’m quite excited. I’m also the proud owner of a P3 4K, P3S and P3A, all of which I love.

Anyways, I will be using my Spark with the remote controller (I ordered the fly more package). Here’s my question: How does the Spark achieve a max distance of 2km with its transmission system? I would imagine it’s some type of hybrid Wifi, as opposed to the WiFi used on the P3 Standard. 2km seems pretty impressive for a unit that doesn’t use Lightbridge or Ocusynch. Any experts out there on this?

Long answer short: Lightbridge/Occusync/Wifi all use the same frequencies (unlicensed 2.4/5.8 bands), so in theory should be capable of similar specs. That said, several hardware and software differences cause the Wifi Spark to have a shorter range, and in reality you won't see 2km except under ideal situations, especially if surrounded by other wifi emitters.

In over 130 flights I have never had even 1km without loss of signal.

In about half the amount of flights I've never achieved past 600M...2Km is a load of horse ****. Maybe if you're flying in the middle of the desert where there is literally 0 interference, and its flat land as far as the eye can see, you can achieve some decent distance, but anywhere with trees or any sorts of buildings don't expect to be going out very far. Thats my biggest and really only complaint with the spark

Reactions: Vaughan
2km is possible...but requires perfect situation. I've done it a couple times.

First - you'll need FCC mode.
Second - low / no interference (shut off all nearby Bluetooth and fly in an area with no interference.
Third - good line of sight - think rise over run - you'll need altitude.

From my back deck, I can usually get ~7,500ft flying out over farmland with a max altitude somewhere near 400' :)

I've went 1km but 600 to 800m is my everyday distance without transmission drops.

In CE country, I always have a 5.8g connection, and never succeeded more than 300m. DJI's max limit for 5.8g in CE is 500m.

Regarding connection. The internet seems flooded with stories that 2.4Ghz offers better range on the Spark. I've done some repeated home brew testing and find this flat our false. In two separate test locations, at the beach and from my back deck, leaving spark in auto mode with native 5.8Ghz offers better range and better video latency.

Footnote....I am using Spark on DJI GO software 4.2.16. Iphone 8 with wireless connection to Spark RC. Bluetooth off for all flights. My couple 7,500' flights were on 5.8Ghz.

Regarding connection. The internet seems flooded with stories that 2.4Ghz offers better range on the Spark. I've done some repeated home brew testing and find this flat our false. In two separate test locations, at the beach and from my back deck, leaving spark in auto mode with native 5.8Ghz offers better range and better video latency.

Footnote....I am using Spark on DJI GO software 4.2.16. Iphone 8 with wireless connection to Spark RC. Bluetooth off for all flights. My couple 7,500' flights were on 5.8Ghz.
This would be generally true for 2 reasons:
5.8 can carry more data, faster, so latency would be lower. Also, 5.8 is a less crowded band than 2.4, so would get less interference in some places.

2.4 however has better penetration, meaning it goes farther when there are obstacles in the way. Trees, walls, etc. This is where you may see better range, and also why those with lower CE power setting may also see benefit here.

There's one more problem in most CE countries. 5.8g band is not supported for WiFi transmission, so when switching rc-spark connection to 2.4g, then rc's WiFi "disappears" specially for Android devices.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
This topic had piqued my curiosity....so last evening from my deck I launched. 5.8Ghz auto connection. No OTG cable.

Flew out of my neighborhood then over farm fields. Altitude a centimeter or two over 400'. Achieved a range of 10,600 ft before turning around. It had slightly more range, but I was already dipping into my battery RTH reserves. Got home and landed with 11% remaining. A little too close to call. But proves that Sparky can do 2 miles out of the box FCC mode 5.8Ghz.

I would think 2km is easily achievable in the correct conditions. I flew my P3 4K (which also uses WiFi) over 1600m away (above a lake). It was only rated at a range of 1200m, so I was quite happy. Once I got my P3A, range became a thing of the past. I’ve easily hit 2+ miles with Lightbridge.

Currently awaiting my recently ordered Spark, and I’m quite excited. I’m also the proud owner of a P3 4K, P3S and P3A, all of which I love.

Anyways, I will be using my Spark with the remote controller (I ordered the fly more package). Here’s my question: How does the Spark achieve a max distance of 2km with its transmission system? I would imagine it’s some type of hybrid Wifi, as opposed to the WiFi used on the P3 Standard. 2km seems pretty impressive for a unit that doesn’t use Lightbridge or Ocusynch. Any experts out there on this?

I did 1.5 km yesterday but... in perfect condition of weather

Screenshot_2018-07-19-14-35-44.png

WTF? You did 1.5km and you used 24% battery?
What manner of magic is this?
I just got mine and have only done 12-15 flights but I’ve never got more than 1km total distance on a full battery! Weather calm, sunny and dry today. Where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
You guys are mentioning turning off bluetooth on the phone/tablet...I frequent the forum and hadn't read that til now...so that's really a way to extend range?

Thanks...

You guys are mentioning turning off bluetooth on the phone/tablet...I frequent the forum and hadn't read that til now...so that's really a way to extend range?

Thanks...
Using the OTG cable w/ the phone on airplane mode gives me the best range and performance.

I just got mine and have only done 12-15 flights but I’ve never got more than 1km total distance on a full battery! Weather calm, sunny and dry today. Where am I going wrong?

What speed are you flying at? I turn off obstacle avoidance as I am generally over 250 feet. Fly's at about 13 mph with this setting.

Sport mode routinely flies over 30mph. For any distance flying, I use sport mode until I reach area of interest(assuming its a ways a way) then drop into normal mode, and then Sport on way home. Normal mode would take forever to go any signification distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh