Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark registered...aftermath requirements

les.warden

Join
Jan 7, 2018
I’m in the US. Got a Dji Spark. Watched a ton of YouTube videos on flying, safety, do’s, and don’ts. Then I registered it with the FAA. Guess I missed the fact you can register under different areas and ended up registering under 107. THEN I noticed the differences. Still been trying to read a lot, but gheeze, so many rules and it reads like legalize.
So my question, what are the things I have to do now that I’m sitting under the 107?
Example: I know the drone logs my flights. Do I have to log my flights otherwise? Paper wise or cloud-based wise.
What else??
Really new to this and do not want to have a lot backtracking on things I ahold have been doing.

I haven’t thought about going commercial, but if I did, it would be nice to be doing all the must do’s the entire beginning time.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

The FAA has the requirements for flying under Part 107 on their website here.

Seems a big difference between the two is 107 must get a remote pilots certificate and 336 doesn’t, and I inadvertently registered under 107, do I just have to re-register under 336 and give them another $5?? Or does one have to remove the 107 registration first? Sorry if I seem thick here, but government rules aren’t the easiest to understand to ensure compliance.

You maybe able to transfer or add the 336 registration. Try logging back in to the FAA drone page - FAADroneZone

When I login, just below "FAADroneZone" is
HOME / SECTION 336 DASHBOARD + REGISTER PART 107 ACCOUNT

For you the "336" and "107" should be reversed. You can then try clicking on "REGISTER 336 SECTION ACCOUNT".

Register under the recreational use for $5 and it covers all the drones you own. 107 you need a license to even quality which is for commercial use and you have to register each drone separately.

In the 107 Manage UAS Inventory screen, there are 3 dots on the very right hand side following the details of Your Registered Inventory. Click on those dots and a drop down should appear and allow you cancel (remove) your drone from your 107 Inventory. Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 8.35.38 AM.png

Thanks for the guidance everyone. I deleted my inventory under the 107. Then went into the 336 area and registered Sparky for another $5. Got a different FAA number. I didn’t see that any drone info was required under 336, whereas under 107 you had to register each drone. I think I’m good to go now.

I didn’t see that any drone info was required under 336, whereas under 107 you had to register each drone.
Right. You'll only receive one FAA registration number since you're only registering yourself. Attach that registration number to all of your drones.

Reactions: les.warden
Looks like i made the same mistake. Should I re-register correctly? I’m only flying recreationally.

Looks like i made the same mistake. Should I re-register correctly? I’m only flying recreationally.

I would so that later on if you buy another drone its also covered under the Part 336 requirements where you just have to put your Part 336 registration number on it.

I would also e-mail the FAA and explain the situation and try to get a refund for the $5 you spent accidentally registering your drone under Part 107.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 7.53.37 AM.png

Unless I’m mistaken after reading a zillion times, my understanding is under the 107 you register each UAS separately AND you need a remote operators license obtained by testing, to the tune of $150. This whether you fly recreational or commercial.
Under 336 you register “yourself” and put the same # on all your drones. You’re only flying recreational here and no ROL required.
As stated before, I ended up removing my drone from the 107 and re-registering it under 336. That gave me a different FAA drone number.

TIP: afterwards, got out my P-labeler and made FAA number labels (small) and put on drone inside the battery compartment, on the batteries themselves, and on the carrying cases.

Unless I’m mistaken after reading a zillion times, my understanding is under the 107 you register each UAS separately AND you need a remote operators license obtained by testing, to the tune of $150. This whether you fly recreational or commercial.
Under 336 you register “yourself” and put the same # on all your drones. You’re only flying recreational here and no ROL required.
As stated before, I ended up removing my drone from the 107 and re-registering it under 336. That gave me a different FAA drone number.

TIP: afterwards, got out my P-labeler and made FAA number labels (small) and put on drone inside the battery compartment, on the batteries themselves, and on the carrying cases.

I did the same but just wrote with a sharpie on some blue painters tape. Good idea about the cases though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran