Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark = Best Disposable Drone

rcflyingaddict

Join
Sep 5, 2017
Let me explain... Over the past ten days of ownership I have found peace, some may call it zen with Spark ownership. I have drones that require prop's to be installed prior to flight, or gimbal locks to be removed or landing pad's to be sprung to life but with the Spark I do none of this. I find I take it out/fly it more often because I can literally pull it out of the bag (dgi flymore bag) turn it on and launch it from my hand. Once in the air I don't worry about it nearly as much (ie - disposable or better word may be easier to replace) as my more expensive drones given that a worst case loss is considerably less than my other rc kit. Best accessory that I have purchased (actually only accessory) in addition to the flymore kit is 4 more batteries.

Reactions: julian46
Battery clips are one thing to keep an eye on. Make sure it clicks with 2 clicks.... and props have a little tab which is the weak point and can break. Wouldn't even notice it till a prop flew off. Other than that it is a very good drone with great build quality. Had mine for 2 months now and love it! Wouldn't call it disposable tho as it cost more still than a racing drone or most others on the market... for size and price it is the most expensive and $1100Au isn't considered throw away money... (fly more with 2 more batteries added)

Battery clips are one thing to keep an eye on. Make sure it clicks with 2 clicks.... and props have a little tab which is the weak point and can break. Wouldn't even notice it till a prop flew off. Other than that it is a very good drone with great build quality. Had mine for 2 months now and love it! Wouldn't call it disposable tho as it cost more still than a racing drone or most others on the market... for size and price it is the most expensive and $1100Au isn't considered throw away money... (fly more with 2 more batteries added)
Good point - Disposable was more to convey the level of worry that one has when flying RC and out of all of my RC the Spark has the lowest level which actually makes it fun/relaxing in a sense. If they had a way to let the MP RC work with the Spark then I'd be 100% satisfied.

Reactions: Wombatclay
I have to laugh as I somewhat feel the same way. While I still go through a checklist, with the Spark I just take it out and fly. I don't use my Mavmount on it, no sun-shade. I just basically take it out, power up and go. Its become my "go to" drone for family events and smaller type activities where pulling out a small drone isn't as intrusive to some people....

Let me explain... Over the past ten days of ownership I have found peace, some may call it zen with Spark ownership. I have drones that require prop's to be installed prior to flight, or gimbal locks to be removed or landing pad's to be sprung to life but with the Spark I do none of this. I find I take it out/fly it more often because I can literally pull it out of the bag (dgi flymore bag) turn it on and launch it from my hand. Once in the air I don't worry about it nearly as much (ie - disposable or better word may be easier to replace) as my more expensive drones given that a worst case loss is considerably less than my other rc kit. Best accessory that I have purchased (actually only accessory) in addition to the flymore kit is 4 more batteries.

I fly my spark where I wouldn't dare fly my I2 ($6000.00). I bought it to do roof inspections in an area where there are a lot of low trees.
It has surpassed my expectations and aside from occasional app crash, I have no problems or issues with it.
I still love my I2, but equally love his little brother.
I don't consider it disposable, but a much lesser risk in hostile conditions.

I agree, fast, fun and easy to fly, even in bad weather, fire it up and buzz around inside the house. Plus, it's fairly inexpensive, if I crash it or lose it, not something I'd lose sleep over.

It's like that famous quote: the best camera is the one we have with us. The spark is so easy to fly no fuss no muss. It's there and ready to go. My favorite accessory so far has been rc stick protectors. Then I can really just toss the whole thing in my bag with no worry.

A replacement Spark isn't that expensive, there are now good deals out there (refurbished and new). Even if DJI care doesn't apply (loss).

However, I would have to redo my skin, aircraft registration incl. batches, insurance policy S/N, DJI care S/N. But I agree, one can fly a Spark with peace of mind.

I was flying my Spark over the ocean in La Jolla, CA over the weekend and came about 6 inches from crashing hard into a pier while flying backwards, (I have the video.) I told my wife that it really gave me a start to see that I almost lost the drone in many feet of water.

She said, "What are you worried about? If you crash or break that drone, you'll just go out and buy another." She's right. And it gave me perspective.

It's like that famous quote: the best camera is the one we have with us. The spark is so easy to fly no fuss no muss. It's there and ready to go. My favorite accessory so far has been rc stick protectors. Then I can really just toss the whole thing in my bag with no worry.
As a long time photog that's precisely the point. The I2 with X5s is the optical quality I would like but then again I'd literally NEVER have it with me. It's like wanting the best picture of said bird .. my 600F4 is the ultimate glass for that shot but again it sits in it's suitcase, in my closest and therefore does not get /any shot. I have a two week old P4P and to be honest while I like the upgraded glass from my MP and the 20MP and most of all the variable aperture I find that I don't take it with me as much due to it's size and noise. And dare I say the batter life on the P4P is too long and no palm launch to boot :)

Let me add another episode ...

The weekend, I was out to an animal shooting in some nature. We were many photographers, and two drones: my Spark and another photographer's Mavic.

There was a moment when it was ok to fly the drones, but it was raining heaviliy. I took out my Spark and flew it for 6 minutes thru the rain, great footage. The Mavic remained dry and grounded ;)

After the shooting, everybody inquired me about the Spark, interest into the Mavic remained lame, even after mentioning RAW and 4k.

Spark in the rain! I like that! Bet the footage is marvelous. Did you notice more interference?

Spark in the rain! I like that! Bet the footage is marvelous. Did you notice more interference?
The connection was rock solid across a lake. But I flew it in FCC mode for added piece of mind. Also, the country (East Europe) has relaxed drone rules anyway.

Reactions: noooris
I don’t think it’s disposable, it cost me just a little more than $200 less than my Mavic, not counting two more batteries, landing gear and filters. With its size, I bring it with me more often than my Mavic and P3P. It’s a lot of fun flying the little dwarf plus I can fly it anywhere, people think it’s just a toy, instead of getting bothered, they’re amazed.

Let me add another episode ...

The weekend, I was out to an animal shooting in some nature. We were many photographers, and two drones: my Spark and another photographer's Mavic.

There was a moment when it was ok to fly the drones, but it was raining heaviliy. I took out my Spark and flew it for 6 minutes thru the rain, great footage. The Mavic remained dry and grounded ;)

After the shooting, everybody inquired me about the Spark, interest into the Mavic remained lame, even after mentioning RAW and 4k.
Spark and MP are better together ... does that mean that every Spark owner and every MP owner need to own the other --- well Yes eventually :) Had my Spark and MP out this morning (magic hour) and took the Spark up first and framed a few great shots ... realized that I really wanted something that would leave the Spark out of alt range and possible distance range I brought Spark back in (no animosity... just landed right in my palm as if nothing had happened) and launched the MP. Spark is my goto, carry it with all the time but having the MP and being able to let it get ALT and distance and get the shot goes back to my better together statement - like PB&J.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers