Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Size DOESN'T matter. Sometimes Short is Better. less than minute vid

I agree - short is better.

I have three complaints about some of the Spark content posted on forums:-
1 Small planets - what is the point of them? I concede that they are extremely popular but cannot see the attraction myself.
2 Endless footage of scenery, even if it is pretty. You are right less is more.
3 Mindless background music. What about some dialog explaining the scenes or even some poetry?

Sorry, I am in Victor Meldrew mode and haven't had my breakfast yet.
5141.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: pmshop
1. I like tiny planets. It offers something different, and if you have the raw files they can be re-edited many different ways.

2. Endless scenery does get boring that's why I try to always cut to music. Gives me a reason to make faster cuts and forces me to pick the best clips and throw out the rest.

3. Commentary is always better and gets more views but i find it very difficult to find something interesting to say on every video.

Reactions: pmshop
Going by my YouTube analytics, 1:14 minutes is my lifetime average view duration.
So I go with that unless I have a presentation.
(Going back to '12 but not seriously used until '15)

I just go through the libraries of music and in their channel, I use the search expression 0:30, or what ever the length is required.
If nothing desirable shows up, I use action type background music that is longer than required.
I try to find something that has a transition or a transition coming up near the required length.
I just trim and fade out from there.
Unless it is an exclamation transition - where the music stops before the next measure - and I just stop there, no fade.

Repetition and predictabilty are both major elements to avoid when putting video together.
Like everthing else in life. Variety works best. In everything. Spontaneity works better than predictability. Mix up your shots, so many wonderful low shots that can be executed with this little marvel, this adds interest and accentuates your higher POV shots.
What made that shot at the museum, was not just the pull away but the 3D feeling captured by passing the American flag on its way out. Totally unexpected. We knew how the shot would start and predicted an ending more or less. But that one unexpected element, cemented that shot.
The only thing with short segments is it leaves the viewer wanting more. A theory used by most Hollywood Movie makers. (Trailers)
I personally wanted more of that fascinating sculpture, from different angles. It really left me wanting more.
Duration is relative to the subject matter being presented. And how much one thinks the viewer will enjoy the subject matter. In that case a peculiar looking sculpture. It peaked the interest of the viewer. So that video could have been longer with no sense of time ever noticed. But an ariel shot over a neighborhood would have seemed excessive. A minute would have seemed like 5. All relative to the subject matter.
Sorry, I’m rambling on. Past my 30 sec. time frame.
Just a different POV.
The point is
One size does not fit all.

I've made TV commercials for 20 plus years and have been conditioned to make everything fit into 30 seconds which can be quite difficult given the amount of **** they want to cram into commercials, so it's nice having any amount of time I want to tell my story.

But that's the thing... you're telling a story.

You need to use what time you need to tell your story, no more, no less.
This may be sacrelidge to post on a drone forum but no one, and I mean no one, gives a toss about drone footage. If it works to tell your story then great. The best, most interesting visuals will be simple and unexpected and they will not be all drone footage = Boring AF.

Music is so important. I spend a lot of time looking for just the right music.

Bing err your shot is interesting because of the flag, it was unexpected, but I am missing the rest of the story, which could be the cool building, the sculpture or what you're doing. I don't know because you haven't shown me.

If you want it to be good, have an idea, tell a story and do what 99% of other people aren't doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers