Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Should DJI promote drone law-breaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guest191

It seems to me that DJI have a vested interest in drone operators doing the right thing and behaving responsibly with their drones. If drone operators do the wrong thing and behave irresponsibly it will generate negative media coverage, resulting in governments bringing in stricter drone laws. Stricter drones laws will discourage people from buying drones. This must have an effect on DJI sales and their profitability. I think their No Fly Zones as part of the DJI Go App shows that they understand their shared responsibility that people do the right thing with their drones.

So when DJI announced they were starting a Facebook page I went to have a look at it (to follow and get my 1000 points also). On the DJI Facebook page there is a lovely photo of Sydney Harbour, obviously taken by a drone operator named Yiran An. Australia is a beautiful place, and Sydney Harbour is one of our most famous landmarks, known worldwide.

Sydney Harbour, and almost all surrounding areas – including Middle Harbour, White Bay, Rose Bay and the Parramatta River up to Ryde are all part of a restricted airspace due to the large number of helicopters and seaplanes that fly there. Now I am not saying that Yiran An has broken the law (as only qualified and licenced drone pilots, with specific permission per flight from Civil Aviation and Safety Authority (CASA) can fly in this space) but if this is not the case and I was this person I would be worried. It is known in Australia that CASA monitors drone footage uploaded to Youtube and other social media and prosecutes individuals who break our drone laws. (Drone pilot fined over 'hazardous' Jeffreys-Stefanovic wedding flight)
Now I am not expecting that DJI should know the drone regulations of every country, or even if every photo or video that gets uploaded to their Facebook page complies with local regulations, but if they promote these photos and videos are they at least encouraging drone operators to do the wrong thing? If I didn't know any better, I could have seen this image and thought "that looks cool, I'm going out with my spark to take some shots of Sydney Harbour too".
What people do with their drones affects all of us, and as I stated earlier, the more people who do the wrong things with their drones will result in bad press and stricter regulations. This is our hobby - is this what we want? Do you agree that DJI should only be showing people using their drones responsibly? Or is this beyond their corporate responsibility?

Interested to know what you think. (I have also posted this on DJI forum. I just have sneaking suspicion that DJI moderators may take this down if they think it reflects negatively on them).

I could have seen this image and thought "that looks cool, I'm going out with my spark to take some shots of Sydney Harbour too".
Yeah, not sure if I buy into that theory. Anyone that has raised a child instills in them the, " just because others do it that doesn't mean you can" upbringing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: leatherneck6017
"...are they at least encouraging drone operators to do the wrong thing?

No.

But, there will always be those who don't think ahead about training, rules, and general societal common sense.

Not really the point of my post... my post was about DJI's corporate responsibility to show people doing the right thing. It was on their official DJI Facebook page. It's a fair bet that the person who took the photo WILL be prosecuted, as CASA do monitor social media and Youtube.

They also have a vested interest in "saving face". I lived in a Chinese culture (Singapore) for several years, and saving face is a big deal to them. My issue with this NFZ policy is that it negatively affects Part 107 operators. If only DJI would stay on top of unlock requests...

Not really the point of my post... my post was about DJI's corporate responsibility to show people doing the right thing. It was on their offical DJI Facebook page.
Don't forget, this is a Chinese corporation operating out of a communist country. Their definition of corporate responsibility differs greatly from the rest of the modern world.

What about the effect on their sales and profitability if drone laws are tightened?

Not really the point of my post... my post was about DJI's corporate responsibility to show people doing the right thing. It was on their offical DJI Facebook page.

If a photo on their page shows just an aerial shot, how would the viewer know the pilot was doing the right thing?

What sort of photo would you suggest that shows "people doing the right thing"?

Reactions: BlancoRob
If a photo on their page shows just an aerial shot, how would the viewer know the pilot was doing the right thing?

What sort of photo would you suggest that shows "people doing the right thing"?
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 1.42.45 am.png

This is the image.. it's taken in Sydney Harbour. If they put up a photo of an airport could you reasonably assume they were in a No Fly Zone and doing the wrong thing? If DJI posted on their official Facebook page a nice close up shot of an airport doesn't that send a message that they think it's kind of okay?
Of course there are dickheads out there who do the wrong things with their drones, but should DJI as a company, with at least something to lose (sales if not face) be posting these? Are they a part of the drone community, shouldn't they be promoting responsible use? I thought that was the whole point of the NFZ, or why did they bother?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said in my OP, I don't. But if they didn't have a special permit, CASA will prosecute. And I reckon the odds are they aren't qualified and licensed either. It costs $15000 in Australia to be licensed, and permits aren't often given. As I said, it's a pretty busy airspace. This was probably just some douche who posted a pic taken with their Spark or Mavic while on holidays.

If he was licensed and had a special permit, easily solved by stating...Picture courtesy of Yiran An (via special permit). Or something like that.

Reactions: guest191
How do you know he did not have a special permit to fly there?

Probably had the micro size font in the corner of the image like the car ads..."Closed course, professional driver, don't attempt this (having fun), yada, yada, yada.)

Last edited:
Reactions: guest191
Most of those who view but don't comment have already had their minds spoken through other's words ;)... MOST... And find it pointless to repeat what others have said

Reactions: Spark 317
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers