Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Shooting low to the ground, EPIC sunset shots.

His415

Join
Jul 12, 2017
I tried doing some low to the ground dolly shots during a beautiful sunset at the beach! Most shots were done around 1-3 feet off the ground.

I did a tiny bit of color grading in iMovie but the dramatic effects are achieved by shooting in manual mode on the spark. I just closed the shutter a bit and boom fire in the sky!!!

THanks for the love, I love how little it is, I just put it in my pocket take it out and put it in the air. So easy.

Reactions: Sparkster
When moving sideways I see the footage stutter a bit. Wonder if that’s unavoidable due to the 2 axis gimbal and/or electronic stabilization, or something else?

I think that was pilot error, [emoji13]. I have been able to get some smooth sideways shots. Also it would have helped if I was in Tripod mode.

Reactions: VenomousSVT
What settings did you use on your spark?

I used manual mode for video and dialed in the shutter speed and iso until I liked the results. Then film the shot!

I think most of the shots are iso100 and 1200 shutter

Congratulations, colors and mood - awesome, nice to watch. :)

The only thing I'd advise is to set in edit project and export settings the same framerate you've shot.
If not, some frames will be doubled, other skipped - hence undesired jerky/strobe movement in your video.

E.g. if Spark has recorded at 24 fps, set editing project at 24 fps and export movie at 24 too - not 29,970 fps.

I tried doing some low to the ground dolly shots during a beautiful sunset at the beach! Most shots were done around 1-3 feet off the ground.

I did a tiny bit of color grading in iMovie but the dramatic effects are achieved by shooting in manual mode on the spark. I just closed the shutter a bit and boom fire in the sky!!!

Excellent , the only concern is the skipping on the side shots. Otherwise breathtaking!

Cool photo.... Due to local trees and houses, I've been shooting my sunsets at 100 feet. I like your idea better, but can't do it. At least not at home.

When moving sideways I see the footage stutter a bit. Wonder if that’s unavoidable due to the 2 axis gimbal and/or electronic stabilization, or something else?
Mine does the same thing often. I noticed it in this video when it's moving forward also.

I think that was pilot error, [emoji13]. I have been able to get some smooth sideways shots. Also it would have helped if I was in Tripod mode.
The stuttering has nothing to do with the Spark or the Pilot... it's Apple video products. Both iMove and Final Cut Pro exhibit this issue. Probably because they expect 29.97fps and the Spark records at exactly 30fps. I had the same issue, then I saw other videos without the problem... they were using Adobe Premiere. I switched and the stutter went away.

Here's an example:

The stuttering has nothing to do with the Spark or the Pilot... it's Apple video products. Both iMove and Final Cut Pro exhibit this issue. Probably because they expect 29.97fps and the Spark records at exactly 30fps. I had the same issue, then I saw other videos without the problem... they were using Adobe Premiere. I switched and the stutter went away.

Here's an example:
I don't believe you are correct about Final Cut Pro X - perhaps older versions, but as you can see my FCP X has all the options. And I prefer it over Adobe Premiere. IMG_3112.jpg

The motion strobing seen in the OP looks identical in frequency and skip to that typical rendering from 24 to 30fps.

It’s interesting, i read some where that you can trick I movie to export in what ever the very first clips FPS is. I’ll export the movie again and check out the frame rate coming out of iMovie.

I don't believe you are correct about Final Cut Pro X - perhaps older versions, but as you can see my FCP X has all the options. And I prefer it over Adobe Premiere. View attachment 2045
Johnm: That's great to hear! I had wanted to go with FCP X, but came across a number of YouTube videos that warned about frame rates with it. Perhaps it's necessary to manually adjust the frame rate? (this is something I haven't had to do with Premiere)

Alright I got a chance to look at frame rates for in and out of iMovie.

Spark shoots at 29.97. (That's what my mp4's are coming off the SD card. 1080p)
iMovie also exported 29.97 as well.

I did some reading and iMovie will set the "Project" frame rate to what ever the first clip added to the timeline is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit