Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RC question

StanS

Join
Dec 7, 2017
I must be missing something.

My understanding (based on nothing) is that the iPhone connects to the controller (wifi or cable) and only the controller is actually sending the signals to the Spark.

If this is so, and the iPhone is basically in physical contact with the RC, why is there a range difference with wifi or the cable.

Does the iPhone’s wifi also talk to the Spark?

Thanks

Does the iPhone’s wifi also talk to the Spark?
It only talks to the Spark if you're flying with your iPhone (instead of the Spark remote controller). In that case, your iPhone would be connected to the Spark's Wi-Fi network (instead of the Spark remote controller's Wi-Fi network).

Reactions: DesertWindAero
No it doesn't make sense. There is some kind of connection between the aircraft and the remote even if you are flying with remote control. I switched between 2 different mobiles last week and there was a huge difference between them regarding video transmission.

I think maybe the remote is wifi repeater of the mobiles wifi. I once took off with remote only but I left it to hover only a metre away from me. Did anyone tried to fly it with remote only?

I think maybe the remote is wifi repeater of the mobiles wifi.

Your device does not produce a WiFi signal.

The remote / Spark produces a WiFi signal that your device picks up.

And Yes, you can fly with the remote only (Spark WiFi ) although not advisable.

Let's assume flying with the remote with iPhone connected via wifi or cable. iPhone talks to the remote (via wifi or cable). Remote talks to the Spark. So, if I understand this correctly, the iPhone doesn't talk to the Spark.
If this is the case, then why am I reading so much about the cable being much better than a wifi to controller connection?
It seems odd that a wifi signal traveling an inch from iPhone to controller would not be as good as the cable.
This whole question came to mind when I was looking at Lichi and Autopilot, neither of which cannot use the OTG cable.

It seems odd that a wifi signal traveling an inch from iPhone to controller would not be as good as the cable.

It's not a very strong WiFi signal from the remote to the device.

However, remote to Spark, much better.

That is why it suggested to turn off Bluetooth, and place in Airplane mode to eliminate your device from searching so hard for a better signal or things like your other apps, fitbits, etc. bugging your device and ignoring the remotes signal.

If the WiFi options don't work because your environment is too noisy, then some have found comfort in the "accidental" discovery of the use of the OTG cable but there are some drawbacks.

Feel free to search this forum for most of the answers concerning OTG with it's use on different devices.

I use to fly with a cable on my mini4 but lately I've had good luck with just the WiFi connection and it works fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit