Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Police came to my house?

I had a cop come to my door. Someone in my neighborhood complained said I was hovering in her back yard. He mentioned they must have some pull in town and even mentioned the HOA banning drones all together. He went on to warn me of potential FAA fines in the hundreds of thousands I laughed and said that will never happen because i dont do anything that would warrant such crap.
Do you fly over people? Over cars? Over highways? Over 400 feet? Near schools? These would warrant an FAA fine.

Reactions: Sparkster
lol yet the ladies are at a public park i clad bikinis where every creepo around is staring or hell even filming with their phones..But the little quadcopter is spying on them LMAO Crazy Times..

Reactions: Victoria
i always get looked at when flying. i was flying off lake conroe on an amazing day. a lot of people where out at the bar next door and they were looking at it as if it was a ufo. then some kids walked up to me and asked if it could land on water and asked if they could fly it. i just said nothing because i don't even trust my friends to touch it. it was a very strange experience

Do you fly over people? Over cars? Over highways? Over 400 feet? Near schools? These would warrant an FAA fine.

If flying recreationally in the U.S. you are covered under FAA section 336 and there is no height restriction. I keep seeing people that think there is a 400ft restriction...that is only if flying commercially under Part 107.

I also don’t understand such people’s reaction. All these cameras around and perverts with phones. As for me, I am always happy to see a drone in the air. It’s so cool to meet people who share and understand your hobby. This is a real fun. Others who don’t have a drone are a grey mass of snobs. Lol :)))))))

people are hyper sensitive today, its pretty offensive that I have to police myself nonstop in order to make sure that the way I tie my shoes may offend someone. Heard on the radio today that somewhere a student got rejected for the cheerleading squad and her mom made such a big stink about it that the school said either everyone makes it or no one makes it and now they have taken away the cheerleading squad from the school. It irks me to think people can even be offended by the fact they THEY arent good at something!

people ~sigh

Reactions: Robert A Watt
I also don’t understand such people’s reaction. All these cameras around and perverts with phones. As for me, I am always happy to see a drone in the air. It’s so cool to meet people who share and understand your hobby. This is a real fun. Others who don’t have a drone are a grey mass of snobs. Lol :)))))))
the funniest thing is they'll get all pissed about the possibility of a drone taking their photo from 150 foot away, but they go right home and send nude snapchats to random people without consequence

I wonder if there is like a check list with drone that informs law enforement on what rights a drone pilot has. Maybe some thing you can wear around your neck.

Unfortunately as much as I love my drone it is healthy to behave this way... We are ultimately helping to normalise something that will eventually be used against us by different authorities... I think it is refreshing that we get questioned... Even if it is a pain in the bum...

Unfortunately as much as I love my drone it is healthy to behave this way... We are ultimately helping to normalise something that will eventually be used against us by different authorities... I think it is refreshing that we get questioned... Even if it is a pain in the bum...
True, I ran into a dude flying his fpv , i had to tell him to stay away from me and my drone. He was pretty reckless and breaking the LOS rule. I don't want anything trouble and never fly near or above people.

True, I ran into a dude flying his fpv , i had to tell him to stay away from me and my drone. He was pretty reckless and breaking the LOS rule. I don't want anything trouble and never fly near or above people.
Hard to use fpv and los rule in the same sentence.. but someone people fly like a holes regardless of what they are flying or their capabilities

Reactions: Ersatz
Happened to me as well when I was launch my spark from the swimming pool at the island I was staying. It wasn't my intention to disturb anyone I just wanted to capture both scene pool and the sea. Then came an old woman (guest) investigate on me this and that and told me I shouldn't fly at the private area and asked whether I'm a guest too?. I told her yes I'm a guest and asked her to stay home and build her own pool for privacy. I didn't mean to be rude but FYI the resort is full with Westeners and she seems look down towards local like me like I'm a stranger and can't afford to stay at that resort.

IMG_2787B.jpg

If flying recreationally in the U.S. you are covered under FAA section 336 and there is no height restriction. I keep seeing people that think there is a 400ft restriction...that is only if flying commercially under Part 107.
I have to correct you statement about height restriction...the FAA states that a UAS should not exceed the height of 400 feet but it goes on to say that if you are flying in the vicinity with tall buildings and you are within 400 feet of them you can fly to an elevation of 400 feet plus the height of the structure...

FAA regulations say drones shouldn't be flown above 400 feet. Higher than that, drones start to interfere with the national airspace. They can't be flown within a few miles of an airport, and they can be used only for fun — not for commercial purposes.Aug 10, 2014
Where Can Drones Fly? Legal Limits Are Up In the Air : NPR
Home Page Top Stories › 2014/08/10 ›

Here it is right from the FAA Page:

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
Subscribe
Print
To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:

Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
Register your model aircraft
Fly within visual line-of-sight
Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Never fly near other aircraft
Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
Never fly near emergency response efforts
For more information about what you can do with a model aircraft, please read FAA Advisory Circular 91-57A (PDF) or read the Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (PDF).

If you do not meet these requirements, you must fly under the FAA's small UAS Rule (part 107).

*The person flying the model aircraft is responsible for contacting the airport directly. Many phone numbers for airports are available here:
Airport Data

Many airports have processes for people who fly near their airport, and the model aircraft operator can talk with them directly about how to meet this rule.

Registration Requirements
The FAA requires you to register as a "modeler" and mark your model aircraft with your registration number in case it is lost or stolen.

Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

More information about the registration process is available through UAS Registration.

Additional Resources
Examples of UAS that do and do not require registration (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions
Definition of terms in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (PDF)

I have to correct you statement about height restriction...the FAA states that a UAS should not exceed the height of 400 feet but it goes on to say that if you are flying in the vicinity with tall buildings and you are within 400 feet of them you can fly to an elevation of 400 feet plus the height of the structure...

Incorrect. Only Part 107 has a height restriction, not 336. Notice in the picture, no height restriction under 336.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1526874783665.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526874783665.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmirOmerov