Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG question

slopat

Join
Nov 6, 2017
Hi, new to the forum and to the drone world. Cheers for the informative forum.

So here is my question, I just received a double micro-usb cable that I ordered for my brand new not yet flown Spark. One of the two micro-usb connectors is marked as the "HOST". Do I plug this "host" end in my phone, or in the rc? Apologies if this has been already answered, but can't find it if it has.

Thanks,
Pat

Reactions: moipogi
Good question. I saw those cables on amazon, and I was thinking of buying one. My advice to you is to try the host end in the phone/tablet and at the control. Keep in mind the sequence: ( Control on first > then spark > open the djig go4 app > plug one end of the OTG into the phone/tablet first then into the control last).

Sometimes if i forget to launch the app...when I plug the OTG cable into my phone..the DJI GO4 app launches.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Good question. I saw those cables on amazon, and I was thinking of buying one. My advice to you is to try the host end in the phone/tablet and at the control. Keep in mind the sequence: ( Control on first > then spark > open the djig go4 app > plug one end of the OTG into the phone/tablet first then into the control last).

Sometimes if i forget to launch the app...when I plug the OTG cable into my phone..the DJI GO4 app launches.

Hope this helps. Take care.
All right, thank you. Will keep the sequence in mind.

Amazon is where I picked up the cable. I liked the idea of no extra connection and it's quite short. It's a Cable Creation product, though I can't review it as of now, obviously. I also ordered a traditional otg cable just in case, but haven't received it yet. The traditional one does feature a 90 degree angle on the micro end, which after watching some YouTube seemed like a good idea.

Cheers and thanks again

I found some adaptors on amazon that plug *inside* the normal (large) usb connector instead of over it. I'm using these with a normal usb/micro usb cable, which is angled 90° on the micro usb end, and about 6" long overall. With this setup, i don't even notice the cable between my phone and remote after tucking it in.

They're super cheap, under $5 for a 5 pack, and available here:
Amazon Sign In

BTW, I crimped the (big) usb housing down slightly on both sides with a leatherman to keep the adaptor from sliding out when unplugging from the remote. So far, they work flawlessly, and are super handy for interfacing thumb drives, dongles, etc to my phones/tablets.

Reactions: slopat
Bah, sorry that link didn't copy correctly... hit amazon and search for "chenyang micro usb 5 pin adaptor"

Seriously need an edit button for posts here

So here is my question, I just received a double micro-usb cable that I ordered for my brand new not yet flown Spark. One of the two micro-usb connectors is marked as the "HOST". Do I plug this "host" end in my phone, or in the rc? Apologies if this has been already answered, but can't find it if it has.

Thanks,
Pat
Host side must go to RC. This impact also who is charging who, not only data transfer.

I found some adaptors on amazon that plug *inside* the normal (large) usb connector instead of over it. I'm using these with a normal usb/micro usb cable, which is angled 90° on the micro usb end, and about 6" long overall. With this setup, i don't even notice the cable between my phone and remote after tucking it in.

They're super cheap, under $5 for a 5 pack, and available here:
Amazon Sign In

BTW, I crimped the (big) usb housing down slightly on both sides with a leatherman to keep the adaptor from sliding out when unplugging from the remote. So far, they work flawlessly, and are super handy for interfacing thumb drives, dongles, etc to my phones/tablets.
Yes, I agree those work. I bought a pack of 5 for under $5.00 on amazon. Was thinking of doing the same or glue to keep the connector from falling out of the usb cable.

Yes, I agree those work. I bought a pack of 5 for under $5.00 on amazon. Was thinking of doing the same or glue to keep the connector from falling out of the usb cable.
Grrrr, I was looking at these again on Amazon last night and found the same ones available in a 10 pack for like $6.88! Hindsight, right? I've given 3 away to friends, so time to re-order. In my case, the minor crimp has held these firmly in place when unplugging. I'd be careful with the superglue though, since it tends to coat nearby surfaces in a white haze and could mess with your connections. (I'm a super glue nut as well, can't live without that stuff around).

Thanks,
Pat
I plug my host end into the controller. That was in the instructions that came with my cable

Wonder if this happens to anyone:

I’ve got a OTG cable bought online, one end is micro USB for the remote, another end is lightning for iOS device.

Before firmware .701 and apps 4.1.17, everything works well. But once updated, the RTH attitude is only max at 50m if i’m Using the OTG cable. However, if i use Wi-Fi between iOS device n RC, then RTH altitude can goes up to 500m.

Anyone experience the same?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe