Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Newbie in Pittsburgh

D Kay

Join
Jun 2, 2018
Brand new Spark owner here, in South Hills of Pgh. I’ve always wanted a drone for my (very amateur) photography...and just for the fun of flying (I’m an RN and used to fly Medevac for a living). I was so excited to get my new drone. For months I was researching which drone to buy, and I figured I’d get the Spark because of it’s ease of flying as I’m an older guy and have never been a gamer. I’ve had it up about 6 times now in beginner mode. I quickly realized I’m in over my comfort level at this price point. So, as advised by several YouTubers, I bought a cheap as can be Syma a week ago to practice with, and I do see marginal improvement in my ability.
I know the old mantra stands true (practice, practice, practice)... and I do tend to learn better with “hands on” training. But I think some “classroom training” wouldn’t hurt either. The DJI simulator didn’t really do anything for me.
My question is... is there anywhere one can take a class or anyone willing to Precept a newbie flyer, or even a drone “club” in the area. I want to feel comfortable enough to go beyond line of sight (although I know the rules) and get some better footage. I just am petrified of losing a $400 camera/drone.
I have learned so much from this forum already, so I figured I’d throw this out there.

Reactions: Doma
Most all of us started with the same fear as you. I think you have identified the best solution as practice. I have found flying fairly low using a flight height of 10-20 feet going out more and more until you are comfortable. I did this at baseball/football or golf courses.( be sure to get prior approval of golf course manager asking for the day the course is closed). The value of golf course flying is mostly they are open spaces and some have dog legs where you can fly out of sight but can watch on your tablet or phone screen. No need to start at a high flying until you get comfortable. Then increase your height as you practice. The value of the golf course is generally if you need a quick landing the fairways are open. MOST IMPORTANT AT THIS PHASE IS APPROVAL but start on soccer or baseball fields. Don’t rush just-
HAVE FUN-Fly safe

Reactions: Doma
I was out in Pittsburgh this past weekend for the annual vintage Grand Prix. Packed my Spark along and launched from one of the observation pier up on Mount Washington. I flew across the rivers snapping a couple pics as I went. See below.

open

DJI_0139.JPG

DJI_0165.JPG

DJI_0166.jpg

IMG_9720.PNG
open

open

open

open

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.