Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Need urgent help about drones in Swiss, Italy and UK

Fid

Join
Nov 19, 2017
Hi all. Thank god i found this forum coz I was desperate to find answers!

In a couple of days, I am going to travel to Switzerland, Italy and London. I've done some research and found that it's ok to bring my Spark to these countries, and also fly them (adhering to local drone laws, of course!) My big question is the Liability Insurance.

My research about this was inconclusive. I found that you need to have a valid Liability insurance to fly your drone. In another finding, it says that you don't need the Liability Insurance if your drone weighs less than 500g (Spark!)

Can anyone here please please please help me out? You can also correct me if I'm wrong about some findings that i have found. I wanna bring my drone just to take aerial photos and selfies etc. What I have now is just a personal travel insurance for my trip. Big big thanks in advance to anyone helping out here.

The rules in the EU vary wildly unfortunately, but there is some consensus through all of them. Do not fly over people and not closer than 50m of property without the owner's consent. Flying over most cities is also forbidden due to these rules. Assuming you also check the NOTAMs, basically the No Fly zones, there's nothing you can break. I have never been asked about an insurance. Funny enough, since it's under 500g, the authorities in my home country didn't even want to register it. At the time being I can't even find an insurance that would cover damage done by personal drones in the EU

The rules in the EU vary wildly unfortunately, but there is some consensus through all of them. Do not fly over people and not closer than 50m of property without the owner's consent. Flying over most cities is also forbidden due to these rules. Assuming you also check the NOTAMs, basically the No Fly zones, there's nothing you can break. I have never been asked about an insurance. Funny enough, since it's under 500g, the authorities in my home country didn't even want to register it. At the time being I can't even find an insurance that would cover damage done by personal drones in the EU
Thanks for the reply. I guess as long as I follow the basic droning laws and respect locals and privacies I should be ok right? I wouldn't want to get into trouble with the authorities and locals and spoil my whole trip. The thing about spark is that it's so small, like a toy for anyone to consider it as a serious drone, hence I don't really know if certain rules applies for it. Hehe. But really appreciate the reply, thank you!

Hi all. Thank god i found this forum coz I was desperate to find answers!

In a couple of days, I am going to travel to Switzerland, Italy and London. I've done some research and found that it's ok to bring my Spark to these countries, and also fly them (adhering to local drone laws, of course!) My big question is the Liability Insurance.

My research about this was inconclusive. I found that you need to have a valid Liability insurance to fly your drone. In another finding, it says that you don't need the Liability Insurance if your drone weighs less than 500g (Spark!)

Can anyone here please please please help me out? You can also correct me if I'm wrong about some findings that i have found. I wanna bring my drone just to take aerial photos and selfies etc. What I have now is just a personal travel insurance for my trip. Big big thanks in advance to anyone helping out here.
There is no mandatory regulation to have liability cover (although advisable) in the UK.
However, what you may find more of a problem is where you will be legally able to fly in London.
Unlike other countries (the US for example),the Air Navigation Order which UAV’s fall under is law and not guidelines.
All of the Royal parks are off limits for flying due to terrorism concerns and flying in them can get you a longer ‘holiday’ in a small room with some nice bars at the windows.
Just be mindful and familiarize yourself with local laws/regulations and you will be fine.

There is no mandatory regulation to have liability cover (although advisable) in the UK.
However, what you may find more of a problem is where you will be legally able to fly in London.
Unlike other countries (the US for example),the Air Navigation Order which UAV’s fall under is law and not guidelines.
All of the Royal parks are off limits for flying due to terrorism concerns and flying in them can get you a longer ‘holiday’ in a small room with some nice bars at the windows.
Just be mindful and familiarize yourself with local laws/regulations and you will be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I did some search on flying drones in London. No where there that I see is permissable to fly. Bummer, Hyde Park is a no no. Would have been a beautiful sight. Probably won't even take the spark out of my luggage in London. And yes, I wouldn't want to extend my holidays for the wrong reasons! Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit