Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My spark is a $700 paperweight...

MIke Jones

Join
Jul 15, 2018
Received my Spark in late June of 2017 as a birthday gift. Pulled it out today after a few months of not using it, and now, can only connect intermittently with my Samsung S7. The user interface of DJI Go 4 is absolutely horrible through the connection process - the QR Scan always never works, and despite the alternate (manually connect to the RC or Spark WIFI), the DJI software doesn't recognize that I'm connected. Extremely frustrating. Tried my wife's Samsung S7 and got similar results - 1 time out of 5 reboot sequences (all devices rebooted), I connected.

Anyone else want to take a hammer to their $700 Spark?

Received my Spark in late June of 2017 as a birthday gift. Pulled it out today after a few months of not using it, and now, can only connect intermittently with my Samsung S7. The user interface of DJI Go 4 is absolutely horrible through the connection process - the QR Scan always never works, and despite the alternate (manually connect to the RC or Spark WIFI), the DJI software doesn't recognize that I'm connected. Extremely frustrating. Tried my wife's Samsung S7 and got similar results - 1 time out of 5 reboot sequences (all devices rebooted), I connected.

Sorry you are have issues. I've only had mind for 3 or days. Dji's software seems to not like android products much. After the hair pulling I had found a list of good phones list on their website. I have a note4. The list was more for the newer phones. I was only getting, after 10 sec or so, 1 frame every 4 sec. Then I ordered what is called "OTG" cable for it. Not the adaptor and a cable. Just the straight cable one. Works great. With the cable on, my phone is on airplane mode...... I have the controller as well. Also it likes a boot pattern. Spark first then the RC wait til the light on the RC goes green then check wifi status on your phone. Log in the RC wifi launch Software. Hope that helps

Appreciate the response. Just purchased cable. Will let you know how it goes.

....with the cable don't worry about the login on the wifi I go in airplane mode. Plug the otg to the phone then to the RC, first time you will see a how to use or some not sense like that. The DJI app will be listed,It for me went by fast. I clicked it then launch the app...Hope it works for you. See you in the clouds.

Pair the phone with your spark the same way you would a WiFi hotspot and ditch the QR code thing.
If you have a contoller then pair it with that but you need connect the controller to the Spark first.
Spark is an aerial happy snap camera not a serious aerial videograph tool. WiFi networks play around with its coms and you need to practise all the RTH requirements or it will go bye byes.

I had some awful trouble upgrading the Firmware of the Controller/Spark and the Batteries. I needed to install the DJI 4.0 app via an old mirror, do the updates and then upgrade the app.

Right pain.

Spend some time reading this forum on the best version of Go for Android and follow the great instructions of those who have gone before you. You will love your Spark once you get over the hump. There's tons of great advice here in SparkPilots.

I love the spark I use android because of all the problems I had using ios to each his own i guess.

Sorry you are have issues. I've only had mind for 3 or days. Dji's software seems to not like android products much. After the hair pulling I had found a list of good phones list on their website. I have a note4. The list was more for the newer phones. I was only getting, after 10 sec or so, 1 frame every 4 sec. Then I ordered what is called "OTG" cable for it. Not the adaptor and a cable. Just the straight cable one. Works great. With the cable on, my phone is on airplane mode...... I have the controller as well. Also it likes a boot pattern. Spark first then the RC wait til the light on the RC goes green then check wifi status on your phone. Log in the RC wifi launch Software. Hope that helps
Seems like a lot of you guys don't take the time to read or even just watch YouTube videos, you could learn a lot about the spark before you have all the issues your having. I have not had as any problems with setting up and flying my spark.

My first couple of days with the spark was a real bummer as I hoped it would fly without all the issues I had trying to get my Kolibri to fly.

Soon realized that even though this technological marvel was way and above that drone it was still technology that needed to be learned...the hard way...by reading and watching. Now I can say that with continuing input from this and other sources, I fly when I want with very few issues using IOS or Android.

So my advice, make a commitment to learn the intricacies of this technological marvel or sell it and be done with it. One or the other will allow you to put the hammer back in the tool box.

Hoping you go for learning as the rewards far outweigh the effort.

My first couple of days with the spark was a real bummer as I hoped it would fly without all the issues I had trying to get my Kolibri to fly.

Soon realized that even though this technological marvel was way and above that drone it was still technology that needed to be learned...the hard way...by reading and watching. Now I can say that with continuing input from this and other sources, I fly when I want with very few issues using IOS or Android.

So my advice, make a commitment to learn the intricacies of this technological marvel or sell it and be done with it. One or the other will allow you to put the hammer back in the tool box.

Hoping you go for learning as the rewards far outweigh the effort.

Same here! I thought I had bought another piece of junk (and an expensive one). After a lot of study and a Go 4 version that handled OTG on an android phone... I had a wonderful flying piece of machinery that still amazes me.

My only wish list is that DJI could make a drone with the capabilities of the Spark that is under the FAA registration weight limit. That would make it more friendly to fly indoors and accommodate back yard flyers like myself.

Happy flying!!!

Hi. I had the same problem with my mavic, with my s7edge. The solution is to roll back the firmware to what worked for you before. Just make sure to turn off auto update in the app store.

Good luck [emoji3]

my spark and galaxy tab were made for each other they get along great maybe i just don,t know the difference but easy and reliable pair

Try the firmware updates - joy should return :D

I have this issue with my brother Samsung but after hours i coud fix easily. Try this:
1- turn on the SPARK & RC
2- put your phone in airplane mode
3- turn on wifi while in airplane mode
4- conect it to the RC with the password 12341234
5- start to fly
Hope you can make it!!

I've had nothing but problems with my Android (Nexus 6P, MotoX) devices, so I only use my wife's old iPhone 6S now. It works much better.

Reactions: Hddeuce03

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers