Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Making money with the DJI Spark

aaaafireball

Join
Mar 11, 2018
Hi everyone , this is my first post so let me get to the point. I just bought the Spark. I'm going to wait a couple of months or 2 so i can get a feel for the drone and learn better ways to use the camera. After that I would like to use it to take photos and videos to make a little money on the side. Any tips, tricks, or advice for so I can make clients happy?

Hello from the Mid-West.

For starters, you will need to get your Part 107 Pilots licence from the FAA if operating in the US.
If you're making money, the Government wants a cut or face fines if caught.

I'm sure the laws are similar in other countries when the Hobbyists becomes a Commercial Pilot to earn income.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Sparkbart
Its more than a form. the Part 107 requires you to pay for and take a test. Once you are license every few years you'll have to renew that license.

Thank you very much, I will make sure to get that form!

Also, FYI, if you already have a portfolio of work taken before getting licensed, it could be considered commercial in nature as it is contributing to the business now. Therefore, you could face fines for those images. If you get certified, I'd say the risk is small, but it is there.

For hobbyist a need just to register my spark with FAA and follow de rules? Isn’t it? Thanks for helping me

Hello from the Mid-West.

For starters, you will need to get your Part 107 Pilots licence from the FAA if operating in the US.
If you're making money, the Government wants a cut or face fines if caught.

I'm sure the laws are similar in other countries when the Hobbyists becomes a Commercial Pilot to earn income.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:
Not quite, in Australia you don't need a licence unless the UAV is over 2kg. The normal rules apply where and when you can't fly. Taking stand out pictures and videos is really the challenge.

For a free country USA sure has a lot of rules. It also has a lot of YouTube aerial photography monetized.

Last edited:
If I am in USA, as far as I know you don´t need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
"
Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA
  2. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  3. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  4. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  5. Give way to manned aircraft
  6. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  7. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
  2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
  3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107

1. Look at option#1

1. Thanks

If I am in USA, as far as I know you don´t need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
"
Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA
  2. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  3. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  4. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  5. Give way to manned aircraft
  6. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  7. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
  2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
  3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107
That's correct.

But the OP asked about making money. That's not "hobby or recreation" flight.

No that's not correct. As a hobbyist with no intent of becoming a "commercial" drone pilot, YOU register with the FAA, not the drone. If you clicked the link to become a commercial UAS pilot it will indeed ask you to register your drone. So make sure you (third person you) click the correct link on the FAA website....

That's correct.

No that's not correct. As a hobbyist with no intent of becoming a "commercial" drone pilot, YOU register with the FAA, not the drone. If you clicked the link to become a commercial UAS pilot it will indeed ask you to register your drone. So make sure you (third person you) click the correct link on the FAA website....
Well, of course, however, many people here get confused when we say "you register yourself".

Mmmm.. No.... This is NOT a matter of semantics, there is a VERY different distinction and meaning with the FAA if you say YOU register vs. your DRONE is registered... It is important to make that distinction because if you register your drone, you pay for EACH drone you register and have a timeframe to complete the Part 107. As a hobbyist YOU register, pay a fee and your number is good for up to 5 drones.

Well, of course, however, many people here get confused when we say "you register yourself".

Mmmm.. No.... This is NOT a matter of semantics, there is a VERY different distinction and meaning with the FAA if you say YOU register vs. your DRONE is registered... It is important to make that distinction because if you register your drone, you pay for EACH drone you register and have a timeframe to complete the Part 107. As a hobbyist YOU register, pay a fee and your number is good for up to 5 drones.
No, I totally, totally get it. I know that. Obviously, if people select the hobbyist registration, they will ONLY have the option to register themselves.

Note that I am agreeing with you.

Note also, that even the FAA uses the phrase "register your drone" (rightly or wrongly). ;)

Getting Started

Reactions: Sparkbart
If you put a GoPro on a balloon, is it the same? Because, how you got the image from an elevated position is only something you would know.
If the answer to the question is NO , rig up a balloon with the GoPro, take some pictures of the rig and then go use your Spark. Stupid rules deserve recalcitrance.

Besides the legality, is the Spark camera going to produce images good enough that people would be happy about? I ask because I have taken pics of the same subject with my Inspire, Phantom, and Spark all within minutes of each other, and in most cases you can see the Spark pics aren't as good as the Inspire or Phantom pics look. I am for sure not a pro photographer, just an enthusiast but I can clearly see this

Just a couple of years ago the quality of images you get from a Spark would have been unbelievable from any UAV. Just because you can get something a bit better now, doesn't make these worthless, maybe not even worth less.

Reactions: Hddeuce03

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe