Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Making money from drone footage- clipmining

ikopta

Join
Jun 23, 2017
Don't know if already a word.
But a good way to make some earnings from your existing footage is to clip-mine it and upload to a stock site. Using Story/videoblocks at the moment, anyone using any-other sites?

Yep. In US, you need UAS operators license under FAA 107 to operate commercially (making $$ from your drone).

How does this work with YouTube monetization?
There have been YouTube users who have said in the past that the FAA has contacted them saying that monetizing videos on YouTube is "commercial". Note that the majority of these cases were prior to Part 107 being enacted.

However, the FAA's current website includes this in their "Definitions" documentation. But the likelihood of them coming after a YouTube channel solely for monetization is probably small.

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
Commercial use:
Flying your drone with the intent of generating monetary profit for your business,
or to promote your services as a professional drone operator.
This includes sharing promotional drone footage or photos via digital channels for free.

I take aerial photos in the uk for a number of estate agents and I have not got a licence, and won't pay the £1000+ con for the bit of paper which is just common sense. That's why I use the spark, it's quiet and unobtrusive I control it from the car and just pop my hand out of the window to launch it :)

Reactions: the88man
I take aerial photos in the uk for a number of estate agents and I have not got a licence, and won't pay the £1000+ con for the bit of paper which is just common sense. That's why I use the spark, it's quiet and unobtrusive I control it from the car and just pop my hand out of the window to launch it :)

People like you really piss me off. What makes you so special that you think you don’t have to follow the rules like everyone else? Do you drive around without a driving licence and insurance too?

Reactions: Brelsh
Not special but also not "special" enough to pay a grand to wear a little hi-vis to take pictures with my drone. I have a licence and insurance for things that matter :). Also that money is cash in hand, does that make you all moist too?

Not special but also not "special" enough to pay a grand to wear a little hi-vis to take pictures with my drone. I have a licence and insurance for things that matter :). Also that money is cash in hand, does that make you all moist too?

Myself and other people (including other members of this forum) are decent (not special) enough to pay for the licence and training, and yes as a decent member of society I’m happy to pay my share of tax and National Insurance rather than be paid cash in hand.

But hey, if your happy to scrounge off the rest of the hard working people in society, and brag about it - then it seems you’re thick enough to end up getting caught eventually.

Last edited:
As has already been mentioned on this thread, the OP’s ‘idea’ cannot be undertaken without holding PFCO in the UK or Part 107 in the States since it would be classed as commercial activity.

I love the chest beating about "this is the reason more laws" blah blah blah, what a joke! I don't fly the drone out of sight, I keep to the laws in regards to the height and areas you can fly in. I take photos of farm land and countryside property. It's just people butt hurt about paying the ridiculous price for a piece of paper which is mostly just common sense, fu*king sheeple :p

Typical age group....me, me, me, me, me.... ad infinitum ad nauseum.

Done feeding the troll here...out!

Reactions: Lastrexking
I love the chest beating about "this is the reason more laws" blah blah blah, what a joke! I don't fly the drone out of sight, I keep to the laws in regards to the height and areas you can fly in. I take photos of farm land and countryside property. It's just people butt hurt about paying the ridiculous price for a piece of paper which is mostly just common sense, fu*king sheeple :p

Hmmmm - nope. The licence paid for itself twenty times over within the first six months, and that’s only a fraction of my business income.

First I would like to address the negativity in this thread. Please abide by the rules - Community Rules
I have cleaned up the thread and issued warnings where appropriate.

As far as using your drone for work, many countries now require a license or certificate to do this legally. In the USA you must possess a Part 107 certificate to use your UAS 'in furtherance of a business'. Ken will explain it all to you starting at 1:41...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef