Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looks like otg android is back and app download new app 4.2.16 587 Monday 21st May.

I'm not getting OTG to work with 4.2.12. It won't show Connected. But, it doesn't try to charge the controller as if the phone is a battery, so something's different. Phone is a Motorola Moto E4 Plus running Nougat 7.1.1. I bought the cable from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018M8YEX0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've read the thread and it seems I just need to hook up the cable. Notice in the pic one end is labeled as Host. I have tried putting that end in the controller. No joy. Reversed the cable and it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.

When the controller is charging the phone, the cable is the right way round.

My Nexus doesn't show connected unless I pull out the RC end of the OTG cable and then plug it back in again.
Worth a try?

Reactions: roarc3
When the controller is charging the phone, the cable is the right way round.

My Nexus doesn't show connected unless I pull out the RC end of the OTG cable and then plug it back in again.
Worth a try?
Thanks, but that didn't work for me. Still though, something has changed. The controller's not trying to draw power from the phone anymore - and vice versa.

Edit: Just to be sure, we're doing this with the Wifi off, right? The OTG cable is being used in place of the Wifi?

Last edited:
Thanks, but that didn't work for me. Still though, something has changed. The controller's not trying to draw power from the phone anymore - and vice versa.

Edit: Just to be sure, we're doing this with the Wifi off, right? The OTG cable is being used in place of the Wifi?

The OTG cable is used instead of a WiFi connection between phone and RC, to eliminate breaking up and loss of the live video feed.
It also allows you to manually choose 2.4GHz for the RC->Aircraft link, which can potentially have better range than the 5GHz that you end up with in the EU.

I'm not sure, but you may need a data connection to get the resource file when you install the apk.

Did you download the apk to your phone, or try to install it from the link.

The OTG cable is used instead of a WiFi connection between phone and RC, to eliminate breaking up and loss of the live video feed.
It also allows you to manually choose 2.4GHz for the RC->Aircraft link, which can potentially have better range than the 5GHz that you end up with in the EU.

I'm not sure, but you may need a data connection to get the resource file when you install the apk.

I installed the APK on my phone with Wifi connection. It downloaded and installed the resource file. I'll try it again today with a different phone and post the results.

Has anyone in the UK got 4.2.12 from the Play Store yet, or has it fizzled out?
I got it last Tuesday but it keeps getting taken down I have the new 4.2.12 downloaded on my phone s8 and when I go to Google play store it's gone back to 4.2.8 version. I think dji are working on bugs.

I have 4.2.12 and here's the Google play store saying it's only 4.2.8 don't know what's going on its done this to me four times already and every new update I can't tell what's changed so I presume dji are just fixing bugs for different versions of Android and makes of devices.

Here's my play store saying 4.2.8 is available when I'm already using the new 4.2.12 app. Strange.

Screenshot_20180422-181224_Google%20Play%20Store.jpg

Just tested with Huawei P10 lite. OTG video feed is working perfect, but important telemetry data is missing (nr. of satelites, signal strenght bars, battery). With WIFI everything works.

I'm not getting OTG to work with 4.2.12. It won't show Connected. But, it doesn't try to charge the controller as if the phone is a battery, so something's different. Phone is a Motorola Moto E4 Plus running Nougat 7.1.1. I bought the cable from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018M8YEX0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've read the thread and it seems I just need to hook up the cable. Notice in the pic one end is labeled as Host. I have tried putting that end in the controller. No joy. Reversed the cable and it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.
Host goes to the controller. Make sure your phone supports OTG. There's an app that can do that. Try this sequence that I copied out of this site yesterday. Good luck.

My OTG procedure (DJI GO 4 4.2.12):
Turn on Remote Control (RC). Wait for solid red.
Plug in OTG cable in phone.
Plug other end in RC.
Choose DJI GO 4 app in popup window.
Wait until GO 4 app is open and it says "RC Connected" in lower left corner.
Power up your Spark. Try to place RC as close to Spark as possible. (DJI recommend 20 cm)
Bonding between RC and Spark should take less than 30 sec.
Hit GO FLY!
This is absolutely fail-safe method!

And your cable may not work. I just copied this review from Amazon

Not for Mavic or Spark.
I bought two of these to connect my android directly to DJI Mavic and DJI Spark drones. They did not work for this purpose. I have other cables that do work. Not sure what the problem is. see less
By Amazon Customer on August 23, 2017

Last edited:
Host goes to the controller. Make sure your phone supports OTG. There's an app that can do that. Try this sequence that I copied out of this site yesterday. Good luck.

Plug other end in RC.
Power up your Spark. Try to place RC as close to Spark as possible. (DJI recommend 20 cm)
Hit GO FLY!

Not for Mavic or Spark.
I bought two of these to connect my android directly to DJI Mavic and DJI Spark drones. They did not work for this purpose. I have other cables that do work. Not sure what the problem is. see less
I did not see that review. Oh well, thanks for the great tutorial. I may try with another cable. Which one do you use?

I installed the APK on my phone with Wifi connection. It downloaded and installed the resource file. I'll try it again today with a different phone and post the results.

I just tried to install both apk versions of 4.2.12 on my wife's Huawei P10 Lite, to reply to another post about missing telemetry on a P10 Lite.

I got the same problem as you, it can't install the resource file, I tried all kinds of tricks like deleting cache, using 4G, using WiFi etc.

Still won't work, no resource file. :mad:

I did not see that review. Oh well, thanks for the great tutorial. I may try with another cable. Which one do you use?
I use this one from dji website and then use my charger cable that come with your phone. it works every time

Buy DJI Goggles Micro USB OTG Cable

Plug other end in RC.
Hit GO FLY!

Not for Mavic or Spark.

Tried it with my "very" old Samsung S4 Mini yesterday and it worked great. Downloaded from APK mirror.

I bought a cheap otg adapter in Malaysia and cut an old data cable in half. It works and fits into the remote nicely. Nothing is sticking out on the side :)

You could build your own OTG cable. Just needs a bit of solder. There are tons of videos on YouTube about that.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
Another new update for the 4.2.12. Which I'm already using and have it downloaded on my s8.
Has anyone spoken to dji and asked why they keep pulling the Google play store go app back and forth?

Screenshot_20180423-085923_Google%20Play%20Store.jpg

Playstore isn't up to 4.2.12 in Germany but thanks to Gavieboydgi I sideloaded the newer version and gave it a try. It worked very good with OTG on my Xiaomi Mi 5, though I had a short short compass error/ATTI mode switch. After 15 seconds it went back to GPS. I recalibrated the compass for the next flight and everything was good then.

Though I miss the additional functions from the modded app, I really like 4.2.12. The deal breaker for me here is the battery usage of my phone. While it barely lasted 3 batteries with older versions I still had 77% after burning 2 batteries yesterday.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe