Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Japan Nuclear Exclusion Zone

TK421

Join
Dec 18, 2017
Greetings all, I'm a regular Japan visitor (from Australia) and plan on visiting the Nuclear exclusion zone early next year. The DJI maps imply that there are no restrictions, well in places I would expect them to be anyway. Like right over the plant itself. Whilst I have no intention of flying over, or getting that close, I'm intrigued about what is actually restricted, especially in neighbouring areas that are pretty empty.

Is the DJI map tied into what's locked in their firmware? I just don't want to rock up and virtually be grounded. Is there a way to test this before I actually get there?

Welcome to Spark Pilots,

The DJI maps imply that there are no restrictions, well in places I would expect them to be anyway.

There is an app called AIRMAP in the app stores free.

It's very detailed showing NFZ, NOTAM, TFR, etc and other information.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the power plant site.

Screenshot_20171219-145409.jpg Screenshot_20171219-145300.jpg

I don't speak Japanese but I think it says stay away....

I'll be away from the plant. Only a moron who likes Japanese jail would fly over that haha. The red text is the name of the plant.

I'm trying to understand the correlation between real world no fly zones, the firmware and the dji map. The dji map doesn't appear to show this. So wondering if there are places anywhere really, where the device will let you fly, despite there being an actual nfz, and vice versa, no flying, despite being clear on the map out in a real world safe zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spark 317
If what you're asking is should you depend on the firmware to prevent you from flying someplace illegal, no you shouldn't.

If what you're asking is should you depend on the firmware to prevent you from flying someplace illegal, no you shouldn't.

I'm not really asking that either. I'm asking do the dji maps equal the nfz data that's also in the most current firmwares.

Oh! I'm going to guess they're not always 100% in sync but should be pretty close. Anybody know for sure?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67