Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Issues with Spark

Chips

Join
Sep 2, 2017
Hi all

Have had my Spark since late August 2017 and I usually fly it a few times on weekends. Latest firmware has been downloaded and successfully uploaded.

Since yesterday, I have started experiencing new problems and in my backyard where I have been flying it fine since Day 1.

First problem is the video transmission is fuzzy and slow. When I remove the card and download the video, it is clear and smooth, so it must be a transmission issue.

Second problem is lag. Commands via the RC are slow and this has just occurred this weekend. Even trying to move the camera up and down is very slow.

Third problem which is worrying is that the communication between the RC and the drone is faulty. At first, I could not connect the RC/phone to the drone and I thought it was because it was too hot and maybe it did not allow a connection. So I switched the drone off and went to do something else for 20 minutes. When I came back, I tried to reconnect and it did connect to the drone. But when I tried to fly, the only thing the drone would do was rise to its default hover height and stay there. I could not do anything with my control sticks to get it to move up or sideways. Only thing it responded to was the descend button which brought it down and cut the engine.

Thinking about the behaviour of the drone, I notice that it does not seem to 'fire up' when I press the power button for 3 seconds. Before, it would show more obvious signs of life as the forward red LEDs flashed. Now it seems to be quiet event when my RC shows GO FLY.

I have given up troubleshooting as I have done whatever I can without opening anything up or trying to be smart and mess with software (which I don't know how to do anyway). The next step would be to send it back to the dealer for a check and fix.

Frankly, my experience with the Spark still remains unsatisfactory. I know it is for newbies and that's good and I accept limitations in the image quality and performance. But I am not enjoying recording videos like what I have seen from the more experienced Spark owners. I send it straight up and record the scenery around but for now, I am not comfortable sending it very high up because I worry about it drifting away. I watch it rather than use the camera when flying as it is hard to get situational awareness with the image on the small screen.

If anyone has had similar problems or can offer suggestions, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Reactions: ProfPaul
Hi Chips that must be frustrating. I'm a Spark newbie myself and found out about SD card trouble making the Spark non-connectable: Spark not connecting at all because of sd card It's just a hunch but you could test without SD card to see if that makes the Spark act normal again. If so low level format the SD card or replace it.

Hi Chips that must be frustrating. I'm a Spark newbie myself and found out about SD card trouble making the Spark non-connectable: Spark not connecting at all because of sd card It's just a hunch but you could test without SD card to see if that makes the Spark act normal again. If so low level format the SD card or replace it.

It would surprise me if the SD card is the culprit. I have not changed it and usually, I download the images and videos after each flight and slot it back in. Then I reformat it before I fly the next time. But I always appreciate suggestions that point me in some directions to check out. I will try without a card and also use a different card and see if there is any improvement.

Thanks lots.

Hi, I transfer from Spark to PC using the white usb cable that came with the kit.
That way you don't have to keep removing the card, less liable for it to corrupt or go wrong.
Once transferred I always tick option to delete all videos and pics of card for next flight.
Hope this helps, sorry you're having trouble. [emoji3]

Hi, I transfer from Spark to PC using the white usb cable that came with the kit.
That way you don't have to keep removing the card, less liable for it to corrupt or go wrong.
Once transferred I always tick option to delete all videos and pics of card for next flight.
Hope this helps, sorry you're having trouble. [emoji3]

Thanks for the tip. I'll do it that way then.

Well, I removed the card and it seems to be responding to inputs from the sticks and I have put in a new card. Not sure if that will make a difference and I can't try things right away as I am also doing work so I am just testing in between during breaks.

I format my SD card via the DJI GO 4 app every third flight or so....no problems at all with my Spark, RC etc...

Reactions: Zm0rf
Before throwing away the other SD card, try low level format with SD Formatter.
A photography forum I am part of swears by it.
Also, If I ever have trouble with my SD cards not logging properly on my home made drones, this clears it right up.
Haven't bought a new SD card in over 2 years but only to expand my fleet with a new model.

Attachments

• SDFormatter 4.0 Setup.zip
    6 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: RaspPiGuy
I am also on latest firmware and dji go 4 v4.1.15 and at times I also get RC DISCONECTIONS or Lots of video break ups and lag but with this firmware I also managed to go 3.3km without issues and perfect video all the way so I don't know where the problem is but I do feel that the spark is way to sensible to interference.

Sent from my E6833 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

I noted on Kloo Gee's YouTube that there have been some issues with the latest update and Android devices.

I am also on latest firmware and dji go 4 v4.1.15 and at times I also get RC DISCONECTIONS or Lots of video break ups and lag but with this firmware I also managed to go 3.3km without issues and perfect video all the way so I don't know where the problem is but I do feel that the spark is way to sensible to interference.

Sent from my E6833 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

dji go 4 v4.1.18 is out since November 18th - try upgrading.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit