Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is full size iPad too bulky?

I use several, the largest being my iPad Pro 10.5. I tried the 12.9 but it is just too big. I prefer the 10.5.

Thank you. I was on the fence between Samsung or iPad. Definitely going with the iPad (and pretty sure 9.7") as most of what I've read is it is more compatible, less app crash, maybe a little more user friendly.

Thank you. I was on the fence between Samsung or iPad. Definitely going with the iPad (and pretty sure 9.7") as most of what I've read is it is more compatible, less app crash, maybe a little more user friendly.
The new 9.7 iPad is faster, cheaper & better. It is quite a bargain as iPads go.

So a little update. I wasn't able to go to Best Buy yesterday like I had hoped/planned but got a chance to go this evening. I was going to get the 9.7" iPad but when I had them look up their stock for a black one (Space Gray), they didn't have any. I then inquired about the iPad mini 4, if they had that one in black. He looked it up and said "Yes." I then asked them if he would price match check local competitors and they were able to knock $100 off it so I got the mini 4 for $299. I think I will actually be happy with this choice after looking at both iPads side by side and actually lifting them up and holding them, the weight difference. So that's that! I'd like to thank everyone for their input on their experiences.

Doug

I was using an iPad mini and I went to the 10.5" as I felt the mini was a bit small. I did use that size (mini) for a few years before I went to the 10.5". Either way you can't go wrong.

I use iphone 6, ipad mini and samsung tab s2, all fit in the holder provided, no need for an extra piece to carry like a tablet mount, which I tried and no longer use because it is not an improvement. I did have to make notches in the side of the controller to allow it to open wider, which had no negative affects. Keeping things compact and simple is my goal, I bought this Spark for travel because it is so small. No extra gadgets needed is the true beauty of it.

I have a 12.9 iPad Pro. I use the MavMount. The view is wonderful. All of my early drones I flew by directly watching the drone. With this big screen I feel more comfortable flying by camera view. I use a lanyard with it.

I have used a full size since the start. I am 71 and I notice that the larger picture helps me a lot. I got the good aluminum holder that came with the lanyard. The lanyard is great not so much during flight but you can let the device hang around your neck and not worry about it when you are changing batteries, set things up, etc. I love the entire setup. Remember. Size matters.

Reactions: KevinRussell
I guess I could hook my 60 inch plasma screen to a generator and run an hdmi adapter off my iphone. That would give me a really good view. Might get a little heavy hanging off my neck so I’m thinking I could use a classic radio flyer wagon to transport it.

I use an iPad Air 2 with a mount on the controller & a lanyard to help with the weight. Love the big screen, but I use a smaller shade than the one in the photo above. You get used to the bulk & weight after a while & it doesn't bother me at all now

I guess I could hook my 60 inch plasma screen to a generator and run an hdmi adapter off my iphone. That would give me a really good view. Might get a little heavy hanging off my neck so I’m thinking I could use a classic radio flyer wagon to transport it.

Ocado Technology 42 inch Slablet - the world's biggest tablet [IMAGE 2].JPG

;)

So a little update. I wasn't able to go to Best Buy yesterday like I had hoped/planned but got a chance to go this evening. I was going to get the 9.7" iPad but when I had them look up their stock for a black one (Space Gray), they didn't have any. I then inquired about the iPad mini 4, if they had that one in black. He looked it up and said "Yes." I then asked them if he would price match check local competitors and they were able to knock $100 off it so I got the mini 4 for $299. I think I will actually be happy with this choice after looking at both iPads side by side and actually lifting them up and holding them, the weight difference. So that's that! I'd like to thank everyone for their input on their experiences.

Doug

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. I have been on the fence for the past week on whether to get a 10.5pro, new9.7, or mini 4 iPad. I loved the size of the mini, but was getting hung up on the 399 price, when the new iPad with much better specs was basically the same price. Saturday I noticed Walmart had the mini 4 for 299 so I grabbed one. Just ordered a mount today so hope to test it out this weekend.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. I have been on the fence for the past week on whether to get a 10.5pro, new9.7, or mini 4 iPad. I loved the size of the mini, but was getting hung up on the 399 price, when the new iPad with much better specs was basically the same price. Saturday I noticed Walmart had the mini 4 for 299 so I grabbed one. Just ordered a mount today so hope to test it out this weekend.

How are you liking the size of your iPad Mini 4? I am very happy with it. I did/do have a few issues so far though. My QR Code scanner doesn't want to turn on in the DJI GO 4 app, and the last time I flew, I had some pretty glitchy video feedback via wi-fi. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the app and now the QR Scanner does turn on. Weird!

I just got the skytreat mount for my iPad Air2 and I am very impressed!

Brilliant design and fits in my case nicely. Using my HUGE screen is a real treat and great alternative when I need the extra large view.

My small screen is an iPhone 7+ and dims to unviewable when the Florida sun overheats it (about 5 minutes in).

So I’m super happy using the iPad!

I'm still on the fence with 9.7". I did order a mount that will accept one and am waiting for that to come in and test the weight/balance of a similar Samsung Tablet that I have. Still like the idea of the bigger screen though. Thank you.
get the iPad air 2, you won't regret it.

Reactions: perrylawrence
I fly using my iPhone 7 Plus. Using my iPad 4 mini kinda kills the portability of the Spark concept. Yes it will work, but makes the whole idea of a small compact package useless. The real advantage of the Spark is the ability to have it on hand for those times when you accidentally run across something that you want to capture, and the quick set up time it takes to get into the air and action. My Spark is almost constantly with me as you never know when a opportunity will present itself for some great pictures or video. The iPhone is always with me also, so it's a "no brainer"as to what I have to take with me. I also use a iPad 4 mini with my Mavic Pro,and a Inspire 1 V2. I use a iPad Air 2 in the winter for flying from inside my pick up truck cab. I set it up on the dash board, and it's like flying with a big screen TV! LOL!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilot6521