Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

iPad Mini physically fits in spark controller?

spiff72

Join
Jul 18, 2018
Loc
West Michigan
Hi all,

I have a simple question, I think.

I was on the verge of buying a used iPad mini to use on my new Spark, but I am no longer convinced that it physically fits in the controller arms. I have seen photos of a controller with a mini captured in the arms, but the images all appear to have a dark colored LCD screen in them, while my spark controller doesn't have this screen.

I have a Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 tablet, and i don't see any way that it will fit. The arms won't spread open far enough. From what I see for the dimensions, the iPad mini is basically the same size.

Is an adapter required for using an 8" tablet with the Spark controller without a screen? Is that other version of the controller from the Mavic line of products?

Thanks!

Although I don't fly like this, my mini 4 fit the controler.

20171207_202020.jpg

I actually have a tablet holder to mount it above the controller.

Reactions: Landondale704
Thanks for the response. I did some additional research on this and found a thread on another forum showing that it is indeed possible. It just takes a bit more force than i realized. That gave me enough confidence to shoehorn my tab s2 into the arms. Unfortunately, the S2 is thinner than the soft rubber grooves in the arms, so it isn't as secure as I would like. I have read some bad things about the compatibility of my tablet with the DJI Go, so that is why i was looking for an ipad mini. I will try to fly with the S2 tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Thanks!

You can wedge it in like the photo above but then hard to grip joysticks. Also odd angle to see screen and awkward weight distribution.

Better to use adapter plate with mount. I always use a sun shade too because glare washes out screen even on highest brightness setting.

iPad mini is great if you set it up properly

Frankly I tried all ways to use my iPad 4 mini with the Spark controller incl. a couple of holders and finally came to the conclusion, that a larger phone ergonomically makes more sense for me. Plus the screen on recent iPhones or Galaxies is much brighter than the screen of the iPad mini.
That said I love my Mini for other tasks.

I have this one and have been very happy with it. $24

61hXqFSXLqL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: pmshop
I have exact same one for $24. Fits iPhone when retainer is horizontal. And even full size iPad 9.7" when retainer is vertical. Made of aircraft grade aluminum. Just as sturdy as billet steel.

But sadly, the plate and ball of the joint is aluminum...the socket and springy mount is plastic.
That is also why I am going for the MavMount.

Yeah...there are some complaints that over time the joint weakens and you can't tighten it up anymore. Time will tell.

Also - it has a Mavic logo....who needs a Mavic when you have a Spark? lol.....

Reactions: pmshop
My Samsung has a center button and 2 other buttons on the bottom. I "slide" the tablet towards me so that the holder grips above the top button. I like it but not everyone will.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav