Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I Couldn’t Believe It!

rick

Join
Nov 3, 2017
Loc
Lake Norman,NC
Yesterday flying approximately 200 feet up and 1500 ft. out, I encountered several birds circling my drone. I assume they thought it might be bees or another strange bird so I began a return home. Shortly thereafter two very large dogs entered the park barking and jumping wildly.. I tried bringing the drone down more quickly and when it got 3-4 feet off the ground a German Shepherd size dog jumped at my drone and I assume a prop hit him in the nose so he didn’t bite it but knocked it down. Replaced props but all ended up okay. LESSON LEARNED: watch out for dogs!

Watch out for all animals would be my mantra.... respect their space, we all have to share. It bothers me sometimes when I see drone video of horses, cattle, and other creatures being spooked by the noise and uncertainty of what that thing in the sky is. Hope the dog's nose did not get damaged either. Those props can double as a food processor at the right angle!;)

Point taken, I have three dogs, they have yet to "meet" my Spark.... I will remember your caution accordingly. Thanks for sharing.

I've had birds of prey swooping on my Spark more than a handful of times. It'll pucker you right up lol

That's why I fly with the prop guards.

It appears larger which may thwart an attack from birds.

If the bird hit the guard, the Spark might wobble and recover.
Hit a prop and gravity takes over.

My dogs have gotten used to the Spark and don't care.

In fact I think they are upset that I'm playing with the Spark and not with them.

It's good to have a spotter so that the landing area is safe.

Or carry a tennis ball and let them chase that while landing.:D

Take care you have people speaking of Seagulls and Cormorans attacking their Spark. It seems the spark is tiny enough that they are not scared of it. They seem to consider them as a human tool competitor against their fishing territory since they seem to also go after the human piloting the drone, as if they fully understand who is in charge. They also seem to study the drone first and know how to take it down fast. Birds are known to see things much better and faster than humans. They see flicker at up to 150 images per second (humans are at 50 per second at best - in lower light it's 15). So birds may detect better the blades spinning. A 10000 rpm blade which is probably the maximum rotation on a spark mean a little bit more than 150 rps, mean that a bird is close to detect the rotation. However, when staying still the Spark may be at 5000 or 7000 rpm which makes it around 75/100 rpm which is bellow the upper limit of detectable movement of a bird. So a bird sees and knows how the spark stays in the air.

I have found that birds are less interested in the Spark than the bigger drones. I have a CX-20 and the birds used to attack it all the time. In this case they take a closer look maybe but probably doesn't consider it as a threat

Are you sure you didn't put some honey or chocolate on your spark that day? Avoid holding your spark with honey on your hands, next time a bear will attack it :)
PS: just joking

I have had my Spark and Phantom 3 attacked by seagulls, they seem to have enough self preservation to swoop just before the drone, but like someone else mentioned "It'll pucker you right up"

Those pesky avian terrorists. They are everywhere. :eek: :D

That was the most awesome bird encounter video I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing that one of a kind experience.

Reactions: JoostGT3
Watch out for all animals would be my mantra.... respect their space, we all have to share. It bothers me sometimes when I see drone video of horses, cattle, and other creatures being spooked by the noise and uncertainty of what that thing in the sky is. Hope the dog's nose did not get damaged either. Those props can double as a food processor at the right angle!;)

Point taken, I have three dogs, they have yet to "meet" my Spark.... I will remember your caution accordingly. Thanks for sharing.
Are your dogs vegetarian?
I don't believe dog loves respect anything but dogs and themselves.
If I'm flying and someone's dog starts after my drone, I order them to put it on a leash. The law in most places states dogs should be under control at all times.
As for wild animals, I leave them alone if they leave me be. No one walks up to a biker and complains their Harleys too noisy but they are happy to give a drone pilot a hard time. $2 heroes are always brave if they think it's safe to speak out.

Was taking video of a relative's large property a few weeks ago. A turkey vulture started circling my spark - but at some distance. I rose up to 400 ft and he (she?) stayed below the AC, but still circling spark's location the whole time I was flying. Never came closer than 100 ft or so. Maybe protecting a nest in the trees so it didn't want to come up too high.

Picture1.jpg

Last edited:
Whew, I just got buzzed by a big hawk as I was landing in my driveway, probably only 20' off the ground. He then flew to a big tree in my back yard less than 50' away and watched us for a few minutes before flying off. Definitely made my heart race, as this was only my 10th flight!! I haven't started using the camera yet, but I am **** sure going to now!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers