Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How I was about to lose my spark in Wind!

Technokul

Join
Aug 8, 2017
Yes, I shouldn't have flown in a windy area but I have learnt my lesson.

I was trying to bring the spark down when I decided I should use the RTH..

The RTH worked fine but as soon as it started landing it did not care for its GPS location.

The landing caused it to drift far away. I was lucky to catch sight of the drone and ran toward it.

I was racing against time, wind, landing and battery!!

It was dense forest in its drift direction. I had lost all hopes just when I gathered my head to sense it's orientation with a little trial and error and hurried but surely I somehow just eye balled it to my palm.

Lesson learnt :
1. If you dare to fly in wind. Keep an eye on your drone.
2. It is good to see map once in a while during your flight it help for your drone orientation.
3.use the *ucking pause button! It's not for a show. I could have stopped the landing.
4. Never ever flying in windy conditions!!!!

Suggestion for DJI: when landing you need to still keep on checking the GPS!!!!! Don't let the drone drift away in the wind!

Screenshot_20170912-003615.png

GPS is still operating during all RTH, otherwise it is not a RTH.
Most probably either Spark lost GPS or the wind was too strong to keep it in place.
Answer would be in the flight record inside the Spark (DAT file).

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Flying in wind is like boating in rough conditions. There are certain ways to traverse and land you need to learn so accidents don't happen.

I flew in 20+ winds yesterday, just to test and I'll tell you that it was a nail-biter!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav