Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hit the 1000' mark yesterday

If you are going all the way up to 1640, make sure air traffic is clear around you with AirMap.
And notify airports/ helipads.
Personally, my 1640 flights have only been near 1 airport or 1 airport and 1 helipad - not a major cluster where you would have to call 17-21 locations.

Oh, don't dilly-dally....get up there in Sport Mode then relax.

Closest airport is 40km away from me , i was not well informed about the Drone laws in Canada . I will be following them from now on . There`s a couple of easy access mountain tops that i have access to if i want some height for some pictures. Must be quite a rush to take them to the limit.

Took this out of a 9 minute flight. Have lots to learn but its a start. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
Here are a couple of techniques you may want to consider. Have the sky be 1/3, or 1/6 of the image. You can easily assess this by using the grid lines in the camera settings. Consider flying early morning, or late evening for better light. There is a free app called the golden hour that can tell you when the golden hour is in your area.

Reactions: notime
Great view from up there eh?

Closest airport is 40km away from me , i was not well informed about the Drone laws in Canada . I will be following them from now on . There`s a couple of easy access mountain tops that i have access to if i want some height for some pictures. Must be quite a rush to take them to the limit.

Ya, 300 feet is wimpy, but thats the rule in Canada! I also recommend FlightRader24 (the app). Lets you see who's flying around up there.

There is some hope, later this summer that they will revise our rules and mirror much of the FAA rules stateside. Proposed rules for drones in Canada - Transport Canada

The FlightRadar 24 app is cool ,lots of jets up there lol

If you turn your device sideways and zoom out to see the whole world, its pretty crazy... amazing there are so few collisions!

And to think 20 years ago that it would be possible now to have that technology in your pocket ... wow! (spoken like an old fekker eh!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Poletramp
If you turn your device sideways and zoom out to see the whole world, its pretty crazy... amazing there are so few collisions!

And to think 20 years ago that it would be possible now to have that technology in your pocket ... wow! (spoken like an old fekker eh!)

9/12/2001 I was working as a diesel mechanic.
We were in a rice field where you could hear the jets overhead (60mi near class B airport) very still out there.
But that day, I laid down a wrench and listened.
Then it hit me "There is not a single plane in the air across the entire USA".
A very chilling feeling.

Reactions: KevTN and Hddeuce03
That would have been something to behold, I don't think we stopped all air traffic here.... I cant remember clearly... I do remember being told about the first tower, then seeing the second tower hit live on the internet... what a terrible terrible day. May they all R.I.P. The world truly changed on 9/11

Last edited:
We were in a full panic and stopped everything.
Including receiving international flights.
I even heard of crop dusters getting chased by fighter craft because "they didn't get the no fly memo".
We had to come up with brand new security measures before we risked any more lives.
And just a mere 72 hours later, new policies in place, we started fights again.

So I finally had time to watch that 1000 foot video... Mansfield QC... cool. Last summer, we had a UFO experience... wait, you skeptics, listen.... we were out doing the yard work when I happened to look up... spotted what looked like a parachute way up between two clouds, really high... I was able to photograph and video it a little (gonna have to post that to my YT channel), sent a pic off to Environment Canada to see if they could confirm it as a weather item, they could not. To make this a short story, the point of mentioning it was I also checked it out with the MUFON site... I am a skeptic, but what the heck. Someone in Mansfield also reported it just an hour after we saw it.. their description was much like ours.... So since then we never did figure out what it was... there ends my story. Now, if I'd had the spark then, perhaps I would have tried to get closer! I am attaching one of the clearer photos. Best guess at the height based on the clouds we were seeing, at least 6000 feet. (Cumulonimbus clouds) What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_6330.jpg
    IMG_6330.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: pmshop
Looks like it may be a weather balloon but it does not necessarily have to be from Canada . Im a retired power Lineman and i remember one year back in the 90`s that we got a call for something mysterious hung on our wires . Was part of what i think was a weather balloon with what was left of a electronic gyzmo with weird writing figured at the time that it could have been Russian. Then about 6 years later we got another with no markings it was a small box about the size of a pack of smoke`s with aluminum plates sticking out of it .Could have been some kids science project lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme