Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

has the recent update stopped otg cable hack from working?

frequency9

Join
Sep 10, 2017
Hi! I'm new to this forum, so greetings to all.
I have owned a Spark for only about 3 weeks, however, I'm not new to flying drones and have owned a 450 flamewheel with dji naza lite for 5 years now, and I also fly a number of racing drones.

I read in someone's blog, earlier today, that after the recent compulsorary update, their Spark has stopped working with the OTG cable hack, but also said the connection problems with their android phone to dji controller wifi connection has been improved. I am unable to check this myself at the moment due to inclement weather conditions; does anyone know if this is the case?

My OTG cable still works with the current Spark firmware.

I am unable to check this myself at the moment due to inclement weather conditions; does anyone know if this is the case?
You could test your OTG cable indoors without flying your Spark.

I have owned a Spark for only about 3 weeks, however, I'm not new to flying drones and have owned a 450 flamewheel with dji naza lite for 5 years now, and I also fly a number of racing drones.

I read in someone's blog, earlier today, that after the recent compulsorary update, their Spark has stopped working with the OTG cable hack, but also said the connection problems with their android phone to dji controller wifi connection has been improved. I am unable to check this myself at the moment due to inclement weather conditions; does anyone know if this is the case?
No changes to otg functionality that I'm aware of or better app to phone reliability for that matter. Otg still working on mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

OTG Working fine here with .06 firmware and 4.1.8 app on Android

It should be noted that OTG with an iPhone (Blutooth off) has been shown to have no positive effect on reach or video stream lag.

I stopped using my OTG cable and have found no issues since. May be a different story for droid though.

Yes, I think that some wifi on android phone could have lags under some condition (background apps, ...). I had more issue with a Samsung S6 than a S8 and none with a ipad mini4.
Currently it is rare I use it.

My OTG cable still works with the current Spark firmware.

You could test your OTG cable indoors without flying your Spark.
Mine seems to work the same whether using cable or no cable. How do I test to see if it is in fact using the cable and not the WI-FI? thanks

Reactions: The Editor
Mine seems to work the same whether using cable or no cable. How do I test to see if it is in fact using the cable and not the WI-FI? thanks
Seriously?.....If your Wi-Fi is off (Airplane mode) then it's using the cable isn't it.

One funny think is that after retesting what work and what don't work if using OTG, IOS version is still the same as before but for android, most of the non-working function are now working. Only the change of wifi band is not possible with OTG and .0600. Maybe DJI realize that for many android phone in europe there was an issue at 5.8G and the easiest way is to make OTG for android working?

Interesting. I wouldn't believe that unless it's stated in the official DJI warranty.

I have had no problems with the update with connecting RC to iPad or iPhone. One quirk I have found is that the sequence of cable connections is critical to make the otg work in my setup- put device in airplane mode, drone or RC on, then the other, wait for drone RC pairing, open dji go 4- updated version, THEN CONNECT CABLE FIRST TO DEVICE(iPad or iPhone), THEN CONNECT CABLE TO RC, go fly! I have to do this sequence exactly to get the otg to work. If I disconnect the drone to change batteries, if I'm remembering correctly, the RC - iPad connection remains intact and no need to repeat until I exit dji go 4. I have had zero problems since I have figured out this sequence. Best regards, Dave.

No that's wrong and would not stand up in a court of law.

The DJI 'helpers' over on that forum are not the greatest and their 'advice' goes along the lines of:

"Have you tried reinstalling the firmware?"
"Have you calibrated the compass?"
"Have you calibrated the IMU"
"You will have to send it in"

For a DJI 'rep' to say that using OTG would invalidate the warranty is total rubbish.
Any fault/crash would have to be proved to be directly attributable to the use of an OTG cable and fundamental in the crash occuring.
Otherwise its like a car manufacturer saying "Oh, you used a third party oil filter in your engine so we are not paying out under warranty for your failed wheel bearing" - It doesn't wash I'm afraid.

Reactions: Wanderer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67