Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hand launch in gesture mode.

Boggy

Join
Aug 20, 2017
A friend wanted to see my spark in action last night,so I decided to launch it using the gesture mode.( indoors) The motors started and it lifted away from my hand and hovered rock solid for about two seconds,then slowly and gently climbed and pinned its self to the ceiling! I grabbed it and flipped it over on its back to stop the motors and I'm too frightened of the wife to try it again so wondered if anyone else has seen this happen?

One thing I did wonder was,did I not move my hand away quickly enough and the spark saw this as the ground and tried to climb to 1.8 mtrs?

Reactions: Cliff Vachon
No more than a couple of seconds. It powered up went light and I let go. It hovered above my hand for about two then steadily climbed. About 1 metre to the ceiling and took about three seconds. It pinned itself there;). I held my hand under it but nothing happened,so I took hold of it and rolled it over to kill the motors.
It was connected to my I phone with the latest go4 update.It did recognise me in gesture mode by green steady lights which went red as it took off.I didnt get a chance to hold my palm infront of it!

I think I know! I don't know exactly how sensitive its barometer is, the ones in gliders I used to fly were very accurate. Without vps locked, it will gauge height with its barometer. In a room especially, the propellers will cause high pressure under the craft and corresponding low above especially as it approaches the ceiling, causing the craft to climb to what it calculates to be the correct height.
This may or may not explain the phenomenon outdoors also, I can't be sure.

Reactions: Boggy
Thank you Robert,that does sound like it may be the case.it certainly locked its self against the ceiling!
It seems its actually quite a common problem,the spark facebook page had a picture of a guys ceiling after his doing the same,with quite a few remarks about similar cases.

I fly mine indoors but I take off from the floor using the remote controller.
I have found that for better manoeuvrability I will have to turn off the avoidance system or I will be restricted in my manoeuvres.

Reactions: Boggy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast