Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gimbal Protection

Adrianvert

Join
Feb 13, 2018
I purchased a gimbal protector and it put a little mark on my gimbal (it's fine only a very fine scratch). I threw it away immediately kind of annoyed as I've only had the drone 2 weeks.

Anyway. Does anyone always use a gimbal protector? Or never? Anyone broke a gimbal while travelling? I use the Flymore bag, camera upwards with a little bubble wrap over it.

BONUS TOPIC!
- Anyone use/ think that controller stick protection is necessary?

I recently bought one in a accessory package and don't use it. You should be fine storing you're drone in the flymore bag as the drones arms are long enough to protect the gimbal.

I use the controller stick protection as the controller came protected in the original DJI box.

Last edited:
Use both as I put my spark in a camera bag with my Mavic. Why wouldn't you use as much carry protection as possible? Nothing worse then ooeing your bag and finding a broken UAV.

Does anyone always use a gimbal protector?
I always attach this gimbal cover when transporting my Spark and/or sliding it into a bag. It's the most fragile part of the drone, so I decided it was worth it to spend a few bucks to protect it. If you're very careful with your Spark or store it in a case/bag that has a compartment that protects it, you might be just fine without a cover.

Cover.jpg

Another perk of a cover like this is that it'll protect the camera from being scratched and or getting dirty.

BTW, if you want to try a different cover, I keep a list of commonly used Spark gimbal covers here.

Anyone use/ think that controller stick protection is necessary?
I use this remote controller stick guard when storing my remote controller in a bag. When it's in my hard case, it's not needed since the sticks are not able to press up against anything.

StickGuard.jpg

I've seen a few people mention their sticks were damaged from not keeping them protected, so I think it's a must have item if the remote controller is not being transported in a bag/case that has a dedicated compartment which prevents the sticks from pressing up against the sides of the bag/case.

I always attach this gimbal cover when transporting my Spark and/or sliding it into a bag. It's the most fragile part of the drone, so I decided it was worth it to spend a few bucks to protect it. If you're very careful with your Spark or store it in a case/bag that has a compartment that protects it, you might be just fine without a cover.

View attachment 3645

Another perk of a cover like this is that it'll protect the camera from being scratched and or getting dirty.

BTW, if you want to try a different cover, I keep a list of commonly used Spark gimbal covers here.

I use this remote controller stick guard when storing my remote controller in a bag. When it's in my hard case, it's not needed since the sticks are not able to press up against anything.

View attachment 3646

I've seen a few people mention their sticks were damaged from not keeping them protected, so I think it's a must have item if the remote controller is not being transported in a bag/case that has a dedicated compartment which prevents the sticks from pressing up against the sides of the bag/case.
Yep gimbal protector. “ Wouldn’t leave home without it” A no brainer.

Why wouldn't you use as much carry protection as possible? Nothing worse then ooeing your bag and finding a broken UAV.

I'd like to use the gimbal protection. Though I see myself running a future flight halfway through and realizing the blurred image is not the clouds but my gimbal protector.

Though I see myself running a future flight halfway through and realizing the blurred image is not the clouds but my gimbal protector
You could attach something like a red ribbon to the gimbal protector so there's no way you'd forget when you see it laying on the ground beside your Spark.

I may be wrong but the Spark will let you know of a gimbal overload happening. With me, I use a sunshade on mine so it’s muscle memory and habit of removing the protector and adding the sunshade.

I have "Remove before flight" stickers on my gimbal and stick guards.

I like the red ribbon idea.

I almost purchased "Remove before flight" key chains for some flare but decided stickers would do and were homemade.

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
I purchased a gimbal protector and it put a little mark on my gimbal (it's fine only a very fine scratch). I threw it away immediately kind of annoyed as I've only had the drone 2 weeks.

Anyway. Does anyone always use a gimbal protector? Or never? Anyone broke a gimbal while travelling? I use the Flymore bag, camera upwards with a little bubble wrap over it.

BONUS TOPIC!
- Anyone use/ think that controller stick protection is necessary?
Could I ask which gimbal protector you used. I am considering one and would like to avoid the one you chose.

It was a custom made 3D printed one by somebody in New Zealand. Yeah avoid it it wasn't good sadly.

@Adrianvert, if you're looking for a replacement, I highly recommend this one. It's perfectly smooth on the inside and definitely will not scratch the camera/gimbal.

I recommend it, I would not stored my Spark without the gimbal cover. A most have, for the most delicate part of the drone.

I may be wrong but the Spark will let you know of a gimbal overload happening. With me, I use a sunshade on mine so it’s muscle memory and habit of removing the protector and adding the sunshade.
I forgot to take mine off Saturday and got errors. Took the cover off then rebooted the drone. All good now.

I'd like to use the gimbal protection. Though I see myself running a future flight halfway through and realizing the blurred image is not the clouds but my gimbal protector.
I drew an X on the gimbal guard with a silver Sharpie. As soon as the camera view comes up, you know you forgot something.

I get the "Gimbal Overload" on mine as well. I didnt like the tiny mark the cover left on my gimbal either when i first noticed it, but i licked my finger and was able to rub it off pretty easily. It only mattered to me when I wasnt sure if i was going to keep my spark. Once I got my second spark (it was used, and had been in a crash) I found Id rather not have to play tetris with the props and gimbal to get them in the bag, i put the cover on, shove it in the little dji bag with my controller, and sprinkle in 4 batteries (1 on the spark, 2 in the battery slots, and one in the front pocket and im good to go. also have a range booster and case of props in there and im not worried about damage. I use it on both of my sparks even though one is in a Hermitshell case. Not even sure if im on topic still, but whatever, i stand behind my words.

Reactions: Rafa7
If you buy a good carrying case you don't need one. DJI case isn't very good as it doesn't lock the components in enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe