Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

furthest distance in CE mode?

View attachment 1316 so how far are people getting with their sparks? Managed this earlier today in ce mode with a set of windsurfers.

Hi Chris, incredible flight. What is ce mode and is that a dji go 4 screen that you have posted? If so, how did you pull it up? Saw a you tube video from a guy in AZ that was testing the parabolic reflectors on the antennas. He made almost 2 miles before the Spark kicked into return to home. Are you using any antenna " boosters"?

Best regards, Dave

Reactions: Nick C.
CE mode is the restricted controller power output for Europe (correct me if My explanation is wrong). I just screenshotted the dlightrecord for the flight on the dji go4 app. I did using a standard controller and spark with just a set of eBay parabolic reflectors. It was in 2.4g with a nice clear flight path.

It is not only Europe. DJI name it like that, the easy way. It is matter of what type or radio communication rule you follow. CE is more related to high density area where there is a lot of devices. This is more a philosophical point of view of strategy regarding wireless telecommunication. DJI put the one CE mode (you can see in the Wifi settings for 2.4G, the number of channels you have, 13 = CE, 11 = FCC).
The windsurfers antennas reflectors are really nice and effective if you are a little in remote area. In urban area, they help if you can have all the disturbance behind you instead of in your front.
Reached 1500 m, both with 2.4G and 5.8G. Not sure if I was using OTH cable or not, but later I retried also with just wifi and it didn't matter.
2017-09-17 1500m.png
In any case, it is the max practical limit also with the battery autonomy and the time spent taking pictures.
Good think is the Sport mode to go back very quickly.

I have different models of windsurfers reflectors and the one that work the best for me are these ones: Antenna Signal Range Booster Extender for DJI Mavic Pro Remote Controller Black | eBay
There are also antenna mods, I got some but need the time to install them.

Forget to mention that CE mode is not only limiting the power of the RC but also the power of the Spark.

View attachment 1316 so how far are people getting with their sparks? Managed this earlier today in ce mode with a set of windsurfers.
Since 500m is the legal limit under the Air Navigation Order in the UK, that's how far I have flown.
I then turned around and flew back to take off point happy that the Spark will fly to the legal limit for this country.

I'm in Blighty. Won't fly mine any further than I can see it. So flipping small that I'm scared of losing it.

Reactions: The Editor
It is all know your limits. With Spark you get easily that the distance is not your friend. It is rare that the condition allow long flights and it is not that funny with a Spark. The great thinks with Spark is there are a lot of opportunities to fly and it is easier to come close to objects.

Hi Chris, incredible flight. What is ce mode and is that a dji go 4 screen that you have posted? If so, how did you pull it up? Saw a you tube video from a guy in AZ that was testing the parabolic reflectors on the antennas. He made almost 2 miles before the Spark kicked into return to home. Are you using any antenna " boosters"?

Best regards, Dave
Check out this this video, I use DU Recorder app to capture the screen. I reached 3044m/9986ft using the same cheap parabolic mirrors. They really do work.

I don't get the obsession with flyin crazy distances. Maybe I'm an old fart, but what's the point? The Spark is so small that you'll struggle to find it if you lost LOS at 50 meters. You're never getting it back at this range.

Since 500m is the legal limit under the Air Navigation Order in the UK, that's how far I have flown.
I then turned around and flew back to take off point happy that the Spark will fly to the legal limit for this country.

I understand that the CAA's Drone Code specifies we have to fly with our aircraft "in sight", but where in the actual regulations (CAP 393) does it specify we have to fly a (non-commercial) camera drone (small unmanned surveillance aircraft) (e.g. Spark) within a legal limit of 500m or even within "line of sight"? I'm just interested to know the whereabouts of the exact legal document specifying these limits that people keep quoting. Thanks.

I don't get the obsession with flyin crazy distances. Maybe I'm an old fart, but what's the point? The Spark is so small that you'll struggle to find it if you lost LOS at 50 meters. You're never getting it back at this range.
You have little faith in this trusty aircraft... Actually, I think in Australia you are supposed to have your name and address clearly marked on the drone.

I understand that the CAA's Drone Code specifies we have to fly with our aircraft "in sight", but where in the actual regulations (CAP 393) does it specify we have to fly a (non-commercial) camera drone (small unmanned surveillance aircraft) (e.g. Spark) within a legal limit of 500m or even within "line of sight"? I'm just interested to know the whereabouts of the exact legal document specifying these limits that people keep quoting. Thanks.
Try CAP722 which must be read in conjunction with CAP393

CAP722 refers to 500m VLOS in para 3.11, but CAP722 only applies to "unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for aerial work" (i.e. Commercial operations). CAP722 specifically states that recreational aircraft are not covered - Paras 1.6 and 2.19. Recreational flying is covered by the ANO - CAP393 - Paras 94/95. No mention anywhere of 500m, but happy to be corrected. I understand the rules for commercial operations are more strict, and I am not suggesting we fly recklessly, but I'm just trying to find the actual legal document where these distance rules are specified. If I am flying on a clear day from a hilltop and happen to fly out to, say 800m, still within VLOS with my Mavic, Spark, or whatever, I want to be sure I am still within the regulations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast