Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Fresh Water Damage - Successful Dry Out

Jeremy Nelson

Join
Jul 18, 2018
I wanted to post my recent spark loss and successful recovery here because this fourm has provide me with a lot of useful info over the past year, thanks to all.

Last Saturday I was filming an event on a river. We launched the canoe around 8:15AM and immediately went across the river and launched the Spark. Because I've had the battery eject/fall out over land before I now ALWAYS double check the battery before launching by giving it a few tugs without pressing the release and then pushing back in fairly tightly. The drone had been in air for 4.3 minutes when I decided I had the shots I needed. I brought the drone back to the canoe and paused to take a picture of my friend and I. While hovering about 5 feet away and 8 feet from the surface, the battery popped out and the drone fell into the river.

It took us about 10 minutes to find and recover the drone and battery out of the river. I stuffed the drone back into my dry bag and finished the event. Once home around 3PM that day I put the drone in a large bowl and covered it with 10lbs of rice. After letting it sit for about 30 hours or so I took the drone out and went though the power up cycle. The drone powered on and connected to the remote, but I got a camera feed error. I powered off, disconnected the battery and after 5 mins tried again. Nothing. Though out the day I tried a couple of other times Still nothing. At this point I thought the drone was lost and began filling out the service claim with DJI.

I disconnected the battery and set aside until i could get everything boxed up and shipped out. When I picked the drone up a piece of rice fell out from somewhere. This prompted me to try to power on one last time. I was surprised to hear the familiar welcome tones. I pulled out my phone and connected to the drone. Because i live near an airport i had to take it somewhere else for test flight. Across town I flew the drone and went through all quick shots and return to home. Happy to report back, all is working.

First I'm glad you found your spark in the river second you need to buy a lottery ticket

Maybe OP had a tracker(waterproof). This is why trackers are so important because there might be situations where it's going to be hard for you to find your drone especially when it crashes in an unfamiliar place.

After reading so many similar stories, I have to wonder if in a situation like this, before doing the rice thing, would there be any advantage to rinsing out the Spark with rubbing alcohol to help remove as many mineral deposits as possible? Knowing that the alcohol is water soluble, it might help with the drying process as well providing that it does no harm to the internal components of the Spark. Just one of those things that makes me go "hmmmm". :rolleyes:

Reactions: pmshop
Just bought a battery guard after flying all this time without it. Sad we have to do that.

Would a vacuum chamber be good for drying out a Spark.

It will evaporate all moisture within since it's in a vacuum.

I have a couple of pumps and thought about building a plexiglass box or a modified pressure cooker, just in case I drop any electronics into the water and need to dry them out fast.

Is there a liquid or something in the batteries that might boil off and damage the battery if placed in a vacuum?

Thanks for any input.

Oh my God please do not put a lithium battery in a vacuum. Under vacuum nearly all electrolite liquids reach boiling point. This will cause a chain reaction leading to all three cells in the battery shorting out and going into a run away condition.

Last edited:
Oh my God please do not put a lithium battery in a vacuum. Under vacuum nearly all electrolite liquids reach boiling point. This will cause a chain reaction leading to all three cells in the battery shorting out and going into a run away condition.

methinks the problem is overthunk. most times simpler is better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe