Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying the Spark for two weeks

Oyibo VFX

Join
Oct 15, 2017
Loc
Belgium (for the moment)
After flying numerous Mavic Pro's and my Inspire 2, I have added the Spark two weeks ago. So far, I have almost 800km of flights this year (according AirData)
So, what's my initial thoughts on the DJI Spark??
Well, one with mixed feelings.
One thing it really impressed with is the quality of the camera. For a 1080 camera, images are crystal clear. Very nice.
But their are three things I'm really disappointed about,
  1. The controls are a nightmare. I have the RC and that works fine with an OTG cable. Video reception is not super but for a WiFi connection, acceptable. But the Spark reacts very rough on RC input. Very difficult to make even an orbit movement where this is easy with the Mavic or Inspire.
  2. A lot of flight modes from other DJI drones are not available on the Spark. As I said... Orbit is one I miss most.
  3. I can't set the RTH elevation higher then 50 meters. Our obstacles are almost 60 meters so that is scary. But I have to say that if I'm flying at 65 meters and press RTH, the drone maintains its height of 65 meters and not lowering to the 500 meters.
Another problem I have is that Autopilot does not work with the Spark. I use that a lot. I am in contact with Hangar (I'm a beta tester) so we'll see how that comes out.

So... Am I happy with the Spark.... yes.
Am I very happy with the Spark.... no I'm not.

The Spark is just too hard to control if you are over 150 meters away and over 60 meters elevation. With obstructions the range is limited but acceptable for now.
It will not replace my Mavic (the Spark is a backup drone) and I keep it for stand by.
Build quality is very good and the "feel" is ok.
It's a "nice to have drone" but I will not buy another Spark. Better pay a little more and get the Mavic.

Ps, I have no restrictions on distance and elevation. Did +100m height and over 1000 meters distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe