Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying over a California reservoir & hydroplant

Just don't want to see anyone in trouble - check your states "Critical infrastructure" laws.
I checked with the “AirMap” app and there were no precautions. I also made sure to fly over the nearby hills, not the plant itself. Is this adequate planning?

I checked with the “AirMap” app and there were no precautions. I also made sure to fly over the nearby hills, not the plant itself. Is this adequate planning?
AirMap is just a guide for air space and hazards across the US.
I can only speak for what I know of Texas but just a few examples of our Critical Infrastructure laws, Power plants, cell towers & prisons are on the list.
Even flying over "mass livestock feeding operations" is prohibited.

So it is best to check and see what is on the books for your state and even cities you visit.
This is what I used to find those laws.
Browse Laws by State – State Drone Law
When you look at the refrenced text, the link will take you to the state's official website that designates the authority.
Not some "3rd party blog site".

AirMap is just a guide for air space and hazards across the US.
I can only speak for what I know of Texas but just a few examples of our Critical Infrastructure laws, Power plants, cell towers & prisons are on the list.
Even flying over "mass livestock feeding operations" is prohibited.

So it is best to check and see what is on the books for your state and even cities you visit.
This is what I used to find those laws.
Browse Laws by State – State Drone Law
When you look at the refrenced text, the link will take you to the state's official website that designates the authority.
Not some "3rd party blog site".
Thank you for taking your time to do some education. I have subscribed to the list that you linked. I also reached out to the California OES earlier today and they’re supposed to get back to me tomorrow. They work with homeland security, and I should be able to get the specifics I need. I certainly don’t want to operate illegally or invite unwanted trouble!

Thank you for taking your time to do some education. I have subscribed to the list that you linked. I also reached out to the California OES earlier today and they’re supposed to get back to me tomorrow. They work with homeland security, and I should be able to get the specifics I need. I certainly don’t want to operate illegally or invite unwanted trouble!

Sounds like a great resource you got there.
An FAA contact would not be bad either.
So AirMap is good but I also use UAVForecast to get the weather conditions.
Tells you the expected winds aloft.

It can very well be 3mph on the ground but I have seen it up to 50mph 400 feet up.
When that hurricane Harvey hit my hometown area, it was already 15mph on the ground but 4omph just 150ft up.
Had to get up any way to video a river that had not flooded the way it did since 1913

USA is funny. Can't fly a 300g drone over things, but you can fly a manned ultralight aircraft with no license or training at all pretty much anywhere you want.

USA is funny. Can't fly a 300g drone over things, but you can fly a manned ultralight aircraft with no license or training at all pretty much anywhere you want.

I know there is very slacked rules with ultralights and paragliders even.
But where does it say not to fly a 300g drone over something?
You can fly anything under 55lbs for recreation.

I know there is very slacked rules with ultralights and paragliders even.
But where does it say not to fly a 300g drone over something?
You can fly anything under 55lbs for recreation.
Your post above about "critical infrastructure" says it is prohibited to fly over cows. The Spark is 300g.

Your post above about "critical infrastructure" says it is prohibited to fly over cows. The Spark is 300g.

You see, that is a state law, not a law posted by the FAA
The cattle part is in my state (mass feeding operations) but I fail to find 300g limit for my state.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit