Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying in Germany/Switzerland/Italy

iMith

Join
Mar 12, 2018
Hello everyone,

Complete newbie here so apologies for the simple questions.
I'll be going on a trip and I keep on getting a bit of mixed information regarding flying liability insurance and labeling requirements.

I will be using the DJI spark so around 300grams. Do I need the flying liability insurance for such a small drone, and what kind of labeling is required?

Cheers

Hello everyone,

Complete newbie here so apologies for the simple questions.
I'll be going on a trip and I keep on getting a bit of mixed information regarding flying liability insurance and labeling requirements.

I will be using the DJI spark so around 300grams. Do I need the flying liability insurance for such a small drone, and what kind of labeling is required?

Cheers

Well, it depends on where you are going on your trip.

Both yes, you need a liability insurance and labeling in Germany.

For more information send this link to the Google translator:
BMVI - Klare Regeln für Betrieb von Drohnen
Thanks very much for the link.

What kind of labeling? Will a simple sticker do or is there a specific type required?
Also, I don't know if I missed it but I translated the page but there wasn't any mention of liability insurance on this particular page. :S

Look for liability at the previously linked page. Private drones are handled like RC model aircrafts and therefore a liability insurance is mandatory. Fortunately my private insurance could be extended for drones.

The label must be fireproof. Mine is made of aluminum and the text is engraved.

Look for liability at the previously linked page. Private drones are handled like RC model aircrafts and therefore a liability insurance is mandatory. Fortunately my private insurance could be extended for drones.

The label must be fireproof. Mine is made of aluminum and the text is engraved.

Great, I just found it. Thanks very much.
Arrg, what a hassle. I'm only passing through Germany for a day or two. I guess if I don't fly it there and wait till Switzerland, I don't need to bother with the liability insurance then?
Living in Japan, I don't even know where I who I would get the insurance with. :p

Sorry, didn't realize I didnt post the location :p
I'll be going to Germany, Switzerland and Italy

In Italy you won't need a liability insurance, and unless you register your drone with ENAC (our Aviation Authority) you'll be considered a hobbyist and only be able to fly:
- not closer than 50 meters from people not involved with the drone operation
- not closer than 150 meters from homes
- not higher than 70 meters and not farther than 200 meters
- always in VLOS and in daylight (from 30 minutes before dawn to 30 min after sunset)
- never over crowds of people

And beware of
Venice: the center is under 2 airport ATZ so you risk 2 2000 Eur fines
Rome and Milan: the whole city center in under a Townhall imposed "special use airspace" so you risk to have your drone seized, in addition to the 2000 eur fine for both the nearby airports
Cinque terre: same as Rome and Milan but on a widespread area, luckily no airports there

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe