Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Finally bit the bullet!

thecommodore

Join
Mar 21, 2018
Just purchased my first ever drone! I got myself the spark fly more combo :) I'm mostly going to use it for travelling and photography flying it maybe a bit difficult as I live in London, but this definitely gives me an excuse to get out of the city more!

I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking :)

1. Whats the deal with android vs iPhone, I currently have a Sony Xperia z5 and an iPhone 7 from work
2. OTG cables apparently will boost the range but only work with iPhones? (they are not included in the flymore?)
3. Drone insurance in the UK which is your go to company?
4. Are they any additional things i should consider purchasing range boosters etc..?
5. What are your favorite youtube vids for beginners?

I think those are my main questions for now i look forward to reading your replies and sharing my spark content with you! :)

Just purchased my first ever drone! I got myself the spark fly more combo :) I'm mostly going to use it for travelling and photography flying it maybe a bit difficult as I live in London, but this definitely gives me an excuse to get out of the city more!

1. Whats the deal with android vs iPhone, I currently have a Sony Xperia z5 and an iPhone 7 from work
2. OTG cables apparently will boost the range but only work with iPhones? (they are not included in the flymore?)
4. Are they any additional things i should consider purchasing range boosters etc..?

I think those are my main questions for now i look forward to reading your replies and sharing my spark content with you! :)
Good luck. I'm relatively new and it's brilliant. Let's see some footage!!

Welcome! To help with your questions:

1. I started off using my Android phone with controller (LG G5). It worked ok, but the app would crash in the middle of flight just about every time. Not a huge deal as I would re-start it and be ok. However I switched to an iPhone 6 plus that we were no longer using and it's MUCH better, never had an issue.
2. The good old OTG. First off, OTG does not have anything to do with range, it's the connection between your phone and the controller. And it does not work correctly with Android unless you revert back to GO4 app version 4.1.15. After that version, you won't get all of your telemetry such as battery info, satellite info, etc. Now, with all that said, I've read a lot from people in Europe that say in CE mode, you really do need an OTG cable. CE mode is a lower power mode required in Europe. In the U.S. we are in FCC mode and have much greater range. I'll let some others that are in Europe tell you more about OTG and why they feel it's necessary.
3. Sorry, can't help there as I'm in the U.S.
4. The only thing I've purchased after my flymore combo is a battery lock. The battery lock on these are a poor design as some have smaller locking clips. I had one of my batteries fall off mid-flight. Luckily it was only about 5 foot high when it happened. I now use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WZVM89/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5. There are a TON of Spark videos on YouTube. Check out as much as you can. Here are some of the ones I liked:
DJI Spark Complete Walkthrough and Setting Up

Oh and the number one thing to read and know...the user manual!: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/20171031/Spark User Manual V1.6.pdf

Good luck!

Welcome to Spark Pilots! :)

Whats the deal with android vs iPhone
Both work. You'll likely have a good experience if you use one of these mobile devices.

Also, check out these tips for setting up your Android or Apple mobile device:

Are they any additional things i should consider purchasing range boosters etc..?
Check out my Spark must-haves list here. If you're considering a purchase outside of that list (e.g. a range booster), I'd recommend you wait until you determine you actually need the accessory (so you don't end up with a bunch of things you don't need).

What are your favorite youtube vids for beginners?
Here's a good video to start you off:

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the SparkPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI Spark quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!
*DJI Spark Manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/Spark User Manual V1.6-.pdf

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice! can't wait to get this thing up in the air, I have quite a big bedroom would you suggest doing a small take off indoors just for the first time to make sure everything goes smoothly?

tenor.gif

Flying indoors is not a great idea unless you have a very, very big room. Most who try to end up failing by hitting something & crashing. Save it until you get outside in a wide open area with no trees or wires. The wifi in many homes will interfere with the Spark.

Reactions: thecommodore

As a word of advise, always:
Read the manual and make sure you understand it's limitations.

Fly Line of Sight LOS and never go beyond.

Always operate from land. For e.g. Do not operate from a moving boat.

Make sure you are aware of the local regulations before flying abroad.

....and the list goes on.

Enjoy ;)

tenor.gif

Flying indoors is not a great idea unless you have a very, very big room. Most who try to end up failing by hitting something & crashing. Save it until you get outside in a wide open area with no trees or wires. The wifi in many homes will interfere with the Spark.

aha thanks for the response! :) I have quite a big park near me so once I've got it insured i'll take it for a quick flight there

I have quite a big bedroom would you suggest doing a small take off indoors just for the first time to make sure everything goes smoothly?
Flying indoors is really something you should only attempt after you're a skilled pilot. Try flying outdoors in a location where there are no nearby obstacles (especially trees) until you get the hang of it. If you absolutely must fly indoors, it would be a good idea to use props guards to help minimize any accidental damage.

Check your home insurance. If you are covered for personal possessions outside of the home then good chance you are ok. LV and Aviva cover drones on this basis and include personal liability. Call them to be sure.

Random question guys. Can you launch the drone just with gesture mode (no phone, no remote) for say a quick picture, I hear a lot about fly aways and was just wondering if i wanted a quick picture of say the family but without getting my phone out and connecting it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast