Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA BE4UFLY official App

Dave Schmidt

Join
Dec 28, 2017
Has anyone else used the app out out by the FAA? It’s called BE4UFLY.
It will let you know if you are within 5miles of a airport and also (apparently) notify the airport via the app. I live in park city Utah and was told I can’t fly within 5 miles of any ski resort. Well that means all of PC is a no fly zone. However according to the FAA App the only restriction I have is to let the hospital know (it has a helipad) when I fly. From a practicality standpoint it would be impossible for them to answer every single phone call from every single drone operator. That is why I believe the FAA made it so easy in their app. Im I right to assume if the FAA app says I can fly, Im good to go? How does the FAA expect the average hobbyist stay up-to-date with the daily changing rules and regulations regarding drone operations.

Hello Dave, Welcome to the Forum :cool:.

I fly with the AirMap app available in the app stores.

It will show updated TFR's, NOTAM's, and all other NFZ's.

Reactions: les.warden
I've used B4UFLY and UAV Forecast (the map portion) to try to get a perspective of where controlled airspace will be in the area where I am flying. Because most of my flying is under 107, I'll bounce that information against a terminal or section chart. Usually ski resorts will not allow sUAV ops directly on their property but unless there is some legit airspace restriction or town ordinance preventing you from taking off on property within city limits, there is no FAR preventing you from flying within 5 miles of a ski resort.

After reading this the app got my attention. As I was messing around with the app I noticed a that its stated that as of right now inputting your flight info does not count as notifying the traffic controller. So you will still need to call them. But I like that they are working on making it easier for us to pass on the info to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme