Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone Registration or Pilot Registration

Jeffrey Journey

Join
Jul 15, 2017
I have a question in regards to the FAA drone registration. From what I have researched you are no longer "required" to register your drone if you are a drone hobbyist (non commercial) and I believe your drone is below a certain weight. I am relatively new to this hobby and was going back and forth about if I wanted to invest the $5 to "voluntarily" register my drone but after some thought and encouragement (via YouTube) from Rick at Drone Valley I went ahead and did what I though was the drone registration.
I submitted my $5 payment along with my registration and received a Small UAS Certificate of Registration along with a UAS certificate number. My confusion is that I thought that I was actually going to register my drone but there were no questions regarding my drone specifics like make, model, weight...etc. It was more about me and my intended use of the drone.
I am now questioning as to whether I actually registered my drone or not and if not then what did I actually register?

Thanks,
Jeff

You only registered yourself. Your FAA registration number can be applied to all of your drones. If you ever decide to fly commercially, you'll need to actually register each drone you're using.

Any benefits on registering? Just wonder if you ever get an accident and by having a registration will make things easier dealing with law enforcement.

Total noob here :)

If you receive a drone registration number, per the FAA you need to mark that number on the drone
To clarify, marking the drone is optional even if you're currently registered with the FAA.

Reactions: xXxDieselxXx
To clarify, marking the drone is optional even if you're currently registered with the FAA.
From FAA registration site:

"Federal Drone Registration is a secure site that assists in processing the government legislation requiring registration for drone owners. Our drone registration representatives will handle your drone registration process from start to finish to ensure your registration is completed properly and in a timely manner. Once your information is officially processed, you will receive a drone registration number that must be marked on each of your drones"

@OCNYBob, that's the process one should go through if wanting to mark a drone. My point was that the FAA no longer requires drones to be marked. See more details on the FAA's website here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers