Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Does OTG really work? Connecting RC to your device with micro USB cable.

Jim Wight

Join
Aug 15, 2017
i have seen mixed messages relative to using a micro USB to connect your device to the Spark RC. I am waiting for DJI support to also answer the question since there is no mention of it in the manual. Has anyone looked into the issue in a deep manor. I get the sense that the micro USB port on the RC was only meant for charging the RC and goggle connection. I have flown with the cable and without. I have yet to have any difference. I also think my iPad is still connected by Wifi. I do need to check that out more.

Jim

It works, some features will be gone or problematic but it works. It is not officially supported by DJI, you probably will get no as an answer from DJI support.
Some people reports that with cable they get stabler connection, some said that 5.8 works best, so in conclusion, use what is best for your location.
Depending on the wifi congestion, cable might or might not be necessary.
If you want to make sure that your iPad is not connected via wifi, switch to airplane mode.
Connection will be lost for 1 sec and then back up again and now via cable.

To sum it up

OTG connection to phone is not supported by DJI, they expect to use it for their google.
The following effects have been reported as affected by OTG connection:
  • Cannot change wifi band. In IOS, on android it don't seems correct (looks like PH3).
  • No signal level indication.
  • Loss of custom buttons setup (for ios devices only).
  • Not officially supported by dji, so it could be removed.
  • Some says that RC cannot be calibrated ? (not checked)
  • RTH maximum altitude is 50m (not checked)
To change the frequency band, it requires to first connect with wifi, set the band, turn off wifi and connect the OTG cable.

The first time that I got warning messages, was when I plugged in my Ipad Mini 2 with OTG. Have not used OTG since!

Some things to consider (outside of the stable connection thing etc)
Battery...
Sometimes, the remote will charge your phone while connected via USB (depends on what phone you have etc)
Not using a wifi connection from phone to remote will save power on both? (If battery on both is not an issue, ignore this comment)

i have seen mixed messages relative to using a micro USB to connect your device to the Spark RC. I am waiting for DJI support to also answer the question since there is no mention of it in the manual. Has anyone looked into the issue in a deep manor. I get the sense that the micro USB port on the RC was only meant for charging the RC and goggle connection. I have flown with the cable and without. I have yet to have any difference. I also think my iPad is still connected by Wifi. I do need to check that out more.

Jim
This has already been answered by DJI on this very forum! Blade Strike (Ken) is a member of the DJI team.

No - it is not and will not be supported (but it works).
OTG Here To Stay

@Jim Wight, OTG is certainly no obligation, like for me everything works perfect with the wifi, so far until 350 m distance VLOS!, didn't go further..
Video stream on iPad mini 2 also!

Last edited:
OTG work's with some non critical exceptions. Personally I don't use it that much anymore.
Regarding the message you get, what did it indicate? "Unknown device" ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

It's a bit buggy but I still prefer otg over wifi. I easily get twice the distance. I'm in the country and can consistently go over a mile away when using 2.4 ghz and an OTG cable. I also found that airplane mode helps a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Reactions: Michael G
I only use OTG with my Android device. WiFi is non useable as it is so laggy. I get distances of a mile with the OTG and zero cutout. (Except with my Stylo 3) I have access to all the features and settings and if I fly with a LTE device or near my home Wi-Fi while using OTG, I can live stream on Facebook or YouTube. I can fly 6+ batteries on 1 charge to the controller with the OTG connection. If your getting short ranges, maybe double check settings or possible restrictions in your areas. There might be something you missed or something didn't stick in the settings. It happens. There are tons of videos on YouTube and such that show the Spark doing amazing things. Mine is the most trust worthy drone I own. (I own 3) It's my go to. I push it to it limits all the time and it just keeps asking for more.

Sent from my LG-M430 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Jim
Question: What is the explanation for possible increase in flight distances using OTG cables? It affects only the RC to mobile device connection and has nothing to do with the wifi connection between RC and Spark. Seems that there should be no affect on distance unless there is a reduction in wifi interference because there is one less wifi transmission in the area (the wifi connection between the RC and the mobile device being eliminated with the OTG cord).

DJI makes no mention of the OTG because it was figured out by mistake by someone. (Not sure who) They figured that if the controller was similar to the Mavic one, maybe the OTG would work with the Spark as well and they were right.

As for what it does. I'm not the most technical guy but what I can figure out is that the OTG eliminates the need to pair the controller to the device. This allows the controller to operate on 5.8 ghz. Without that connection, lag is reduced in the feed from the Spark's camera to the device you're using. Most phones except maybe flagship phones (like a Galaxy S8 or something like that) transmit on 2.4 ghz. There are some phones that can operate on both 2.4 and 5.8 ghz. Usually when you just use the phone, it will transmit on 2.4 ghz. When connecting to the controller via Wi-Fi, you get the 5.8 ghz but you are subject to Wi-Fi interference. When using the OTG, you eliminate 1 of the Wi-Fi connections but you are still subject to Wi-Fi interference, just not as bad.

Sent from my LG-M430 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Question: What is the explanation for possible increase in flight distances using OTG cables? It affects only the RC to mobile device connection and has nothing to do with the wifi connection between RC and Spark. Seems that there should be no affect on distance unless there is a reduction in wifi interference because there is one less wifi transmission in the area (the wifi connection between the RC and the mobile device being eliminated with the OTG cord).
Correct - it is for the same reason that you should put your phone/device into airplane mode when you fly.
The front end of the receiver (in the remote) gets swamped by the RF coming from the phone. This means the AGC throttles up and turns down the sensitivity of the receiver.
This is not just a symptom of the fundamental or harmonic but purely the power of RF engulfing the RX in the remote.
The OTG cable means all wi-if can be shut down on the phone and therefore the RC receiver can do its job properly.

I don't quite understand the discussion here. Because for all I know and experienced, otg connection of the rc and phone/tablet worked - till the last update about two weeks ago when it was disabled.
So, do you guys use the old firmware ( with which, for my understanding, the spark should no longer be able to fly) or is it working again after another update (or however)? Because after the big update it does no longer work for me and I'
Correct - it is for the same reason that you should put your phone/device into airplane mode when you fly.
The front end of the receiver (in the remote) gets swamped by the RF coming from the phone. This means the AGC throttles up and turns down the sensitivity of the receiver.
This is not just a symptom of the fundamental or harmonic but purely the power of RF engulfing the RX in the remote.
The OTG cable means all wi-if can be shut down on the phone and therefore the RC receiver can do its job properly.

d like to have it back.
Any answer? Thanks in advance and greetings from Berlin.

I don't quite understand the discussion here. Because for all I know and experienced, otg connection of the rc and phone/tablet worked - till the last update about two weeks ago when it was disabled.
So, do you guys use the old firmware ( with which, for my understanding, the spark should no longer be able to fly) or is it working again after another update (or however)? Because after the big update it does no longer work for me and I'

d like to have it back.
Any answer? Thanks in advance and greetings from Berlin.
As comments above. Up to date firmware v.0600 and current releases Go4 for android v4.1.8 and OTG working fine.
It must be your end.
Check your cables/OTG adapter.

Last edited:
I bought an OTG cable after all the posts on this board and elsewhere - and I've never used it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the last firmware seems to have removed the need to use them?

It never stopped working for me after the September 1st update

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app
Thanks for the info. It's pretty strange though, cause in another forum I read of many for whom it no longer works after the September update, nor does it, as said, work for me any longer (Android).
Also I seem to remember having read that DJI disabled it on purpose. Curiouser and curiouser...

works for me since Day 1
Actually never even attempted a wifi flight, from box to OTG..

All firmware updates complete 0600 etc..

Tried the new Go4 v4.1.8 that just didn't work for me.. Drained my battery at 99% utilization in 5hrs, after finishing with Spark in the morning.

Also (a Big hit here) noticed the live view feed was Really blurry low resolution (maybe as low as 260p) blotchy and lagged so bad that i could barely finish 2 batts in Spark.. Ouch..

using Go4 v4.1.3 brought all the crystal clear no-lag happiness right back..
And Less drain on resources..

with the system resource experience of v4.1.8 i have been Force Close the app when finished pulling pics out..

But through all of this, and since day 1, i have been using the OTG cable.. No problems at all ever with direct link cable

Reactions: BlancoRob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme