Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI to support OTG soon?

What are people so confused about the whole OTG thing?
DJI make their own OTG cable that you use to connect the Spark to the Goggles so yes of course it is supported.

Been using OTG with mine since day one... works perfect everytime. Zero lag, great quality.

BTW, not all cables are data transfer capable, like the cheapies which come with flashlights for example. They only have the outside two pins connected for power. Some of em don't even have pins in the 2 center positions. Those can drive ya nuts if trying to use them for data.

Last edited:
Reactions: uasav8r
What are people so confused about the whole OTG thing?
DJI make their own OTG cable that you use to connect the Spark to the Goggles so yes of course it is supported.

To be fair, I had read some postings somewhere that said using an OTG cable with a phone/tablet was not officially supported...an OTG connection was not in the DJI instructional videos or the user manual.

I use OTG as well though...works great.

--

Bill

To be fair, I had read some postings somewhere that said using an OTG cable with a phone/tablet was not officially supported...an OTG connection was not in the DJI instructional videos or the user manual.

I use OTG as well though...works great.

--

Bill
I have no problem using OTG with my Apple iOS devices (iPhone 7+ and iPad Mini 4) but I can’t seem to get it to work with my Android devices (HTC1 Phone, Nexus 7 Tablet).

Can someone tell me if they had success with OTG connection to the Spark with their android devices and if so what is the trick in doing so (if any)?

Thanks...Sam

It works for me on a Galaxy Note 4, and a NVidia Shield K1.

The cable can be the problem...seems like not all OTG cables work...but most do...try reversing the cable...it's the controller that is the "host"...that's unusual, as usually, we associate the PHONE as being the host.

I turn on the Spark and the controller, wait for them to connect, then plug in the cable...with Android, the first time the cable is used, it'll ask you what application you want to associate with that device...I chose DJI Go 4...so now each time I plug in the OTG cable, DJI Go starts automatically.

I use this cable:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1K8B1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one did NOT work...no idea why...too bad, as it's the right length and it's micro usb to micro usb...nice clean setup:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5GZ3N0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also be advised that a couple "regular" USB cables did not work for me with a given OTG cable...what I mean is...see the first cable I suggested? It's more on an extension cable...so you still need to use a regular USB cable to connect the phone to the controller...well...I had to go thru a couple cables before I found one that worked. SO weird than cables can have these differences.

--

Bill

It works for me on a Galaxy Note 4, and a NVidia Shield K1.

The cable can be the problem...seems like not all OTG cables work...but most do...try reversing the cable...it's the controller that is the "host"...that's unusual, as usually, we associate the PHONE as being the host.

I turn on the Spark and the controller, wait for them to connect, then plug in the cable...with Android, the first time the cable is used, it'll ask you what application you want to associate with that device...I chose DJI Go 4...so now each time I plug in the OTG cable, DJI Go starts automatically.

I use this cable:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1K8B1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one did NOT work...no idea why...too bad, as it's the right length and it's micro usb to micro usb...nice clean setup:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5GZ3N0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also be advised that a couple "regular" USB cables did not work for me with a given OTG cable...what I mean is...see the first cable I suggested? It's more on an extension cable...so you still need to use a regular USB cable to connect the phone to the controller...well...I had to go thru a couple cables before I found one that worked. SO weird than cables can have these differences.

--

Bill

Thanks Bill, you nailed it.

It was the USB cable. Because I hadn’t tried connecting to my android devices since yesterday I hadn’t give this much thought.

It’s frustrating though why one cable work and the other doesn’t. It would appear that there’s are different quality of cables that are not compatible with the higher end devices such as the Spark!

Thanks again for your quick response and detailed description and recommendations.

Cheers,
Sam

I just done the FCC mod and no need for OTG.

Still yet to confirm not 100%

Before FCC mode OTG worked better but couldn't display or see any WiFi settings or channels in go app. WiFi shown them but not OTG.

Since I put FCC mod I flew 300 perfect on WiFi. Double than before.

Still to try flying further and also not tried the OTG as I've not needed to.

I think the later EU sparks also com with weaker transponders in the remote as US and China ones seem to get up to 1500metres. I got mine from maplins and don't think I'll get more than 500m with FCC. Of it was US or older one I may be able to get a lot more.

So here is what DJI has said before about OTG:

The primary reason OTG isn't supported is that the RC is NOT MFi certified (Apple), meaning it doesn't have their authentication chip in it. Call it cost savings or whatever. Therefore, Apple might kill wired access at any time (of note, the iOS 11 update killed all my 3rd party cables that I have been using for 3 years, even though they claimed to be MFi, only the original short Apple cable works now).

The OTG connection is necessary for the DJI goggles to work (they don't have wifi), and optionally for CrystalSky. Both of these SUPPORTED devices run Android. Therefore, the OTG connection must remain active.

That said, DJI doesn't want to support OTG as a feature on all devices with all that testing, instead focussing on just their two products. If they really wanted to, they could build in authentication into GO4 that if it detects a Spark RC it won't connect by USB, and that would be the end of it. But at this point, the cat is out of the bag on OTG, so it is better for customer satisfaction to just not officially support a feature the device never officially had than to kill it.

Reality is, OTG is there, it works, and likely will work until the end of time, but DJI will never officially say so.

I have no problem using OTG with my Apple iOS devices (iPhone 7+ and iPad Mini 4) but I can’t seem to get it to work with my Android devices (HTC1 Phone, Nexus 7 Tablet).

Can someone tell me if they had success with OTG connection to the Spark with their android devices and if so what is the trick in doing so (if any)?

Thanks...Sam
I used an OTG cable when I was using a Nexus 7 tablet...it was a trial and error thing,for instance, the cable I used for a Nexus 6 phone which worked fine didn't work with the Nexus 7... I eventually found a cable that did work with the Nexus 7...

I just done the FCC mod and no need for OTG.

Still yet to confirm not 100%

Before FCC mode OTG worked better but couldn't display or see any WiFi settings or channels in go app. WiFi shown them but not OTG.

Since I put FCC mod I flew 300 perfect on WiFi. Double than before.

Still to try flying further and also not tried the OTG as I've not needed to.

I think the later EU sparks also com with weaker transponders in the remote as US and China ones seem to get up to 1500metres. I got mine from maplins and don't think I'll get more than 500m with FCC. Of it was US or older one I may be able to get a lot more.
Hi Rob,
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the FCC mod?
Thanks,
Sam

Hi Rob,
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the FCC mod?
Thanks,
Sam
It's the US firmware. Ups the DB signal...
I was only getting 200metres before now I get a mile of stable transmission :)

In my eyes the spark is pointless without The FCC

It's the US firmware. Ups the DB signal...
I was only getting 200metres before now I get a mile of stable transmission :)

In my eyes the spark is pointless without The FCC
I would assume that the FCC was a North American upgrade (i.e., including Canada) and not restricted to the US?

The primary reason OTG isn't supported is that the RC is NOT MFi certified (Apple), meaning it doesn't have their authentication chip in it. Call it cost savings or whatever. Therefore, Apple might kill wired access at any time (of note, the iOS 11 update killed all my 3rd party cables that I have been using for 3 years, even though they claimed to be MFi, only the original short Apple cable works now).

The OTG connection is necessary for the DJI goggles to work (they don't have wifi), and optionally for CrystalSky. Both of these SUPPORTED devices run Android. Therefore, the OTG connection must remain active.

That said, DJI doesn't want to support OTG as a feature on all devices with all that testing, instead focussing on just their two products. If they really wanted to, they could build in authentication into GO4 that if it detects a Spark RC it won't connect by USB, and that would be the end of it. But at this point, the cat is out of the bag on OTG, so it is better for customer satisfaction to just not officially support a feature the device never officially had than to kill it.

Reality is, OTG is there, it works, and likely will work until the end of time, but DJI will never officially say so.
it will work until the 4.1.18, dji already killed the OTG feature, so don´t update, but then they will stop the spark to work until you update and eventually we will fly with wifi only and with all the malfunctions already have.

I bought a new phone and it, of course, had iOS11 on it. I have not had any issues with aftermarket cables. I have many from different makers, all cheap. I wonder why you are experiencing this. How many cables have stopped working for you? Same brand?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe