Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Tello good backup?

Ted Bush

Join
Feb 10, 2018
I am thinking about getting a DJI Tello as a back up to my Spark, that is in the shop. See Sad Day post. Any feedback from you guys?
TB

Friend of mine just got one as his first drone. He likes it so far and it's kind of a no brainer for only $100.

I just saw the other day that refurbished Sparks are under 300. That could also be an option for a backup. Or one for friends and family to try, no risk in crashing your primary drone.

Tello is a toy drone while Spark is a compact aerial camera. Toys are cool but not the same path. I would suggest, if you wish to be an FPV drone enthusiast, buy a mini Woop, FPV goggles and a cheap FrSky Tx. Flying FPV with only manual setting, which is the norm, has much more scope than a Tello. If you want to take video or stillings, get a Spark.

Last edited:
tello is not a backup, it cant stand any wind. More like if you want an air photo but spark would be too risky or loud, you could use the tello.

I am thinking about getting a DJI Tello as a back up to my Spark, that is in the shop. See Sad Day post. Any feedback from you guys?
TB
I did this exact thing. Got a tello to fill the void until my spark got back from the shop. It did a great job of doing it. But beware there is not official controller support.

I wish people wouldn't keep moaning the tello cannot handle wind. It holds rock solid position in 15 mph wind.
Some care is needed not to stray onto plain ground or water, but for a selfies at 5 mpixels it's superb and unnoticed or hazardous in public. Long flight time, very manoeuverable, gets more use than spark at present.Yes you'll lose it at 500 feet, but my selfies are at 10 - 20 ft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers