Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark - Tripod Mode

Rob C

Join
Jan 5, 2018
Would like some input as I am very new to flying drones and especially shooting video clips. I believe I heard on a YouTube video the recommendation to fly the Spark in Tripod mode for smoother cinematic effects. Is this the general opinion among the more experienced Spark pilots?

Would like some input as I am very new to flying drones and especially shooting video clips. I believe I heard on a YouTube video the recommendation to fly the Spark in Tripod mode for smoother cinematic effects. Is this the general opinion among the more experienced Spark pilots?
Not only is it smoother photos and videos, but it is extremely easy to fly and great for a beginner. I set up for my wife and she loves it.

I find it mainly usefull for certain cinematic shots like rotating the spark around it's own axes.

But when flying further/higher, especially in a straight line, it is too slow and doesn't do much in the video stability.

So I mainly used it for rotating shots and otherwise fly in normal mode. But as a beginner it is definitely a good setting to get some feeling on your drones moves and responses.

;)Keep in mind any prior adjustments made to your gimbal camera tilt up/ down settings will be slowed down even more. So check this before heading out into the Wild blue yonder

Yes indeed the camera tilt will be slowed down with it. But when rotating the drones axes that doesn't matter.

You’re right, rotating axis doesn’t matter.
My style, i usually combine both to minimize the gimbal 2axis restriction. Usually smooths it out for me.
Exactly, fly mostly without tripod, since I'm getting more experienced and dare to fly higher/further. But for the axis rotation I use it to compensate the 2 axis gimbal. Works great

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
Yep, before gimbals and stabilization came along. Old school cameramen like myself had to utilize every trick we could to smooth out those shots. Lol
Cheers, Drink up and be merry, for tomorrow, we die.

I am very new to the spark....can you fly to where you want to a shot then go into tripod mode? Then back out of it for the return flight back?

Yep! Agree PLUS you can tilt your camera a little more UP in tripod mode!

I've learned to use SPORT mode to get to where I want. Activate TRIPOD if I really want slower movement (e.g. if my subject is closer to the drone). But for distant shots, I would agree that normal mode does the job well

Reactions: dragosmd58
When you're flying really high, you get that airplane window effect (analogy I just made up) where you know you're going hundreds of miles an hour but the landscape passes by slowly. That's true in p-mode if you're high enough.

Although if you're flying low and slow in tripod you can look less like you're creeping along.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers