Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Dji Spark Head Tracking VR headset compatibility

Jarvis

Join
Aug 27, 2017
Since the Goggles update to the Spark has enabled head tracking capabilities a few days ago I was wondering if anyone has tried any alternative VR headsets out there that offer head tracking to see if they are now compatible with the Spark to allow head tracking? Are there even FPV headset that do that? Just wondering if there's a cheaper alternative to the DJI goggles that offer that particular feature. Thanks and fly safe my friends!

Litchi might do it with one of those VR phone cases. Works with other aircraft, not sure if it supports the Spark yet.

Litchi does work with Spark and the RC using GearVRGearVR-2.jpg with head tracking but not with OTG. Wireless was much nicer though and I haven't had any disconnects yet.

Awesome - latest version of Litchi? And it works without the OTG... ...even better!!

Know if there is a way to make side to side, yaw, headtracking work using only Litchi and Google Cardboard? It does work alright with up/down, pitch, gimbal position.

I just posted a thread about CAVU, my son and I just flew a couple hours ago using it with the google daydream goggles, worked great. The camera did move up/down with your head movements, didn't really notice it move from left to right, it was still an awesome experience. Highly recommend FPV, just make sure you have a trusty spotter to keep LOS. Similar to the above post, we did this using wireless which connected great, I have not gotten the OTG cable to work that well yet.

I just posted a thread about CAVU,

I normally fly with a mini4 but my everyday phone is the Samsung Galaxy s7.

I also have the Samsung VR goggles (collecting dust).

If the phone is in the headset, how do you push the on screen menus?

Will the buttons on the goggles work with the app to do this?

Thanks for any information.

I agree FPV is literally an immersive flight experience.

I normally fly with a mini4 but my everyday phone is the Samsung Galaxy s7.

I also have the Samsung VR goggles (collecting dust).

If the phone is in the headset, how do you push the on screen menus?

Will the buttons on the goggles work with the app to do this?

Thanks for any information.

I agree FPV is literally an immersive flight experience.

You will be a little more limited, you would need to utilize your buttons on the Remote Control (to record, RTH, etc.). You won't have access to quick shots, active track, and other options the DJI app and DJI goggles would provide. It won't be your primary way to fly all the time. It does provide a fun FPV experience for a fraction of the cost, especially if you already own a pair of VR goggles. CAVU is free to download, I would recommend downloading the free version, get your hud set-up , and see how you like it. I tested it out indoors without ever launching the drone, walked around the house while holding the Spark to see how it would feel. I still wasn't to sure, but after my first flight I was hooked, the FPV experience was amazing. I would still like to purchase the DJI goggles for the best experience eventually, but this setup worked better then I expected.

The WiFi works fine until I put the phone in the goggles.

The GearVR goggles must have a chip in them because as soon as you plug the phone in, it turns on the Oculus stuff on my phone.

I thought about uninstalling my Gear 360 app off my phone but I think as soon as I plug it into the phone, it's going to prompt me to install the app?

I've seen some generic VR goggles at Wal-Mart that won't have the Samsung Gear on it that may work.

The GearVR goggles must have a chip in them because as soon as you plug the phone in, it turns on the Oculus stuff on my phone.

I thought about uninstalling my Gear 360 app off my phone but I think as soon as I plug it into the phone, it's going to prompt me to install the app?

I've seen some generic VR goggles at Wal-Mart that won't have the Samsung Gear on it that may work.

I did have a similar issue, my phone would launch the daydream app as soon as I set them in the goggles. At first I just closed the app or minimized it to pull up CAVU. I then decided to remove the daydream app all together, I still get a prompt for me to install daydream when it senses the goggles, but I have been able to just hit cancel and continue with CAVU. It is a bit annoying, I hope you find a solution.

There are apps to disable that. Search for something like "cardboard enabler" by memory.

Reactions: William Phillips
Hi guys.
Any update here? I just bought a spark and have an S8 and an old pair of gearvr goggles.
Any recommendations please to give this fpv thing a first try.
Thanks!

With these two apps, FPV is possible with the Gear VR.

Screenshot_20171215-195124.jpg

Play cardboard eliminates the auto startup of the Gear VR (Oculus) and the CAVU puts the display on the phone for the goggles.

The CAVU is free but limited flight time unless you purchase it.
There's all kinds of options on the display to move the images to get it just right.

Although I haven't used it much, it does work on my Samsung Galaxy s7 and Gear VR goggles.

Just a note, It works via WiFi so no OTG cable can be used.

Good luck :).

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna give that a try. I read I have to mod the gear from goggles yeh,?

I'm now reading elsewhere that the Homido goggles are better and very cheap.
Any thoughts?

I've just bought the Homido v2 goggles to use instead.

Is it still true they only work with WiFi and not otg?
If so, then range is going to be limited.

Any thoughts?

I just tried a set of VR goggles with my iPhone 7+,and connected via WiFi to the controller, with the Litchi app. I've only flew it in close range. The Spark has the latest update, and will connect via WiFi,or with OTG on my Tablet (iOS) and iPhone. So do I need to use a OTG connection to get good range from it, or will WiFi work just as well, with out OTG?

Last edited:
Reactions: Junebug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers