Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Go 4 vs Litchi vs Airmap vs Autopilot with IOS

John.H

Join
Dec 10, 2017
Loc
Flower Mound, Tx
This might of been discussed before, if it is I'm sorry.

I'm looking into flying my spark with different platform other than DJI Go 4. Everything is still working fine with v4-1-21, other than some video lagging & disconnect. I'm asking the question, "does anyone else fly the spark other than with DJI Go 4 app." thanks,
John

i have noticed that the dji app has really took a turn downhill video is so laggy when flying and playback/trying to download original video is getting awful i wish there was another app to fly the drone as dji sucks

Reactions: AirCam
I use DJI Go with cable for normal flying and haven't had issues since adding the cable. I also have 20 Waypoint Missions on Autopilot. The 3rd party apps don't seem to be able to use the direct link cable, so you have to go wireless for them. I picked Autopilot because they have more support for the Spark than Litchi.
Litchi really cant do much with the Spark, and you have more functionality with DJI Go.

Autopilot's Waypoint function works great for me as I like the more technical aspects of being able to pre-program a path or action, and have the drone go do it. They do a really good job at this and are able to get around some of the Spark's limitations.

There is also a whole thread on Spark and Autopilot here and there are great details on most of the functions.

Red Waypoint is Androiod only at this point, so not on my radar.

Thanks Jon,
I’ll check into Autopilot. I do use the OTG for 95% of my flights. Autopilot will give me an excuse for using WiFi.
But since I updated firmware to v. 4-2-21 on DJI go 4 app, I have been noticing more disconnects and lagging with the cable.
Are you using 4-2-21?

Yes, I keep my stuff fully updated. I haven't had much luck with the DJI Go 4 app without the OTG cable, I just use it 100% of the time I use Go 4 ...

I only have the 2 batteries that came with the Fly More Combo, but am ordering the remote recharger and 2 more batteries from DroneNerds since DJI can't keep them in stock. I was going to hold off to see what DJI is announcing for their new products, but I have put it off too long already. ;)

Once thee new batteries get here I will go through the rest of the Autopilot Modes.

Do Autopilots way points mission continue if out of tx range like Litchi, or do the way points need to be in tx control? What happens during waypoint mission and ac looses tx?
Thanks

Bob,

Spark does not have internal waypoint storage like its larger siblings. (at least it is not available) Autopilot and Litchi store waypoint info in the drone for autonomous flying. Since Spark does not have said storage, Autopilot does this through their software and your controller for the Spark. I have mine set to hover on loss of control, and simply flip over to Sport Mode and fly it back. This only happened 1 time when I let my phone battery drain down trying to get 1 last flight in...

Last I checked, Litchi does not support Spark in Waypoint mode at all.

Bob,

Spark does not have internal waypoint storage like its larger siblings. (at least it is not available) Autopilot and Litchi store waypoint info in the drone for autonomous flying. Since Spark does not have said storage, Autopilot does this through their software and your controller for the Spark. I have mine set to hover on loss of control, and simply flip over to Sport Mode and fly it back. This only happened 1 time when I let my phone battery drain down trying to get 1 last flight in...

Sorry to ask something that can be obvious, but I do not understand how switching to sport mode on the RC can do something to the Spark if transmission already has ceased. How come?

koffe,

Switching to Sport mode disengages any fancy features you may be getting from the 3rd party software and allows the drone to be controlled from the remote in manual mode.

Yes I understand that but was more asking to your saying that you set your on hover on loss of control. Did that loss of control mean something else than loss of connection between RC an Spark?

Bob,

I'm now clearer on how it works. Thanks. Ran several test flights today with it, and aside from several bumps, worked well. Just have to get clearer on how camera and gimble settings work.
And no Litchi does not support way points at this time for the spark.

Koffe,

I have a bad battery in my iphone and it goes from 30-40% to dead sometimes in a couple of minutes. I let the battery get low and it went into power save mode, the app lost connection to the controller / Spark (probably because wifi went down) and the Spark just hovered where it was when it lost connection with Autopilot. I have gone thru the training multiple times and have even performed the Sport Mode toggle when I didn't like the route I programmed to get the drone back and try another path.

You can either press the disengage button to stop the pre-programmed mission and take control manually, or flip the sport mode switch. If Autopilot is not connected, you have to go to Sport Mode.

Thanks Jon Burns. I try to gather as much information as possible, as I 10 days ago lost my Spark when flying with Autopilot. It is not easy to exact understand what happened and where to search for it. I have tried 3 waypoint mission with another Spark but did not find it. From Airdata I have got some text info and a map that shows what and when it happened. I hope that somebody could help to point out the most reasonable places to do new search and resque missions.

If you or anybody else would do a try to figure out a plausible crash site, I would be more than greatful.

Attachments

• Lost-Spark-1.jpg
    Lost-Spark-1.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Lost-Spark-2.jpg
    Lost-Spark-2.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 31
Bob,

Hello. I'm still fairly new with all this but I have flown roughly 10 waypoint missions on my spark with autopilot. I also attempted many more to have them not work as planned. My question is how come at times when beginning a waypoint mission it will go to the specified height to begin but instead of starting the route it seems for a lack of a better description to start to go into a dance where it seems like it's getting multiple instructions and doesn't know which way to go. Seems to rock back and forth jump forward as is it is beginning but doesn't really go anywhere. I usually just disengage and do something else manually. Does this sound familiar?

Been looking at 3rd party apps as well. I’m somewhat concerned from what I have read about stability and flyaway. I purchased the Spark knowing it did not have autonomous waypoints - but that is a feature that would be fun to play with.

Really there are two features I would love to see in the Go4 App that could be easily added —

- Ability to set multiple waypoints on TapFly
- Add multiple taps and fly a pattern
- ability to TapFly on the map instead of the camera

Overall though I am good...I knew what I was getting when I got the Spark...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe