Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Disturbing news for Android users

I might be thinking incorrectly but doesn't the DJI CrystalSky 5.5 use the USB port in the Spark controller and uses Android fireware. From the above articles it appears that Andriod are 'out' and OTG cable are 'out' so therefore CRYSTALSKY 5.5 a will be going 'out'.

The DJI goggles are meant to be connected via USB.

Anyway, would it be just easier if DJI were to issue IOS or android specific firmware on the RC and AC via DJI Assistant 2 so it can be better tuned for either OS, rather than the same firmware currently common for both. Possibly in this manner it can improved the RC and Device to AC connection??

I might be thinking incorrectly but doesn't the DJI CrystalSky 5.5 use the USB port in the Spark controller and uses Android fireware. From the above articles it appears that Andriod are 'out' and OTG cable are 'out' so therefore CRYSTALSKY 5.5 a will be going 'out'.
Ouch! Well, I think that my course of action will be as always: find a solution. For the OTG there are already non official apps.
But I will have a look also to Litchi.
World is complex, fantasy is required, and Gunny as a field teacher [emoji41]

Just waiting for the replacement parts to arrive before mine goes up for sale as I look for another unit to buy, I'm positive DJI will not be on the list of potentials.
Look at the Evo from Autel Robotics. Better than Mavic and cost less !!

Unfortunately the CS does NOT connect to the Spark RC via OTG yet, though the CS does use a "scaled down" version of Android OS.

Attachments

• O.JPG
    O.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 21
Look at the Evo from Autel Robotics. Better than Mavic and cost less !!

Might be a bit premature to say "better than the Mavic", being that the Evo is not for sale yet.

Man, I just ordered a Spark yesterday and if it has issues with both apple and Android that really sucks.

Man, I just ordered a Spark yesterday and if it has issues with both apple and Android that really sucks.
No worries...the UK folks seem to be having the bulk of the issues due to a different standard (CE vs FCC), thus their range seems less than DJI has stated.

We should stop using cellphones to fly..... Integrated rc with screen...is the way to go
If you need with video out for an external monitor or googles

I agree, an open standard protocol for telemetry, nav and control could be used and then just relay stream the video to the phone/tab. Call it "OpenFly"

Android is congested and development for that device means making multiple versions. Android is fragmentation city. So you have older software and newer software clashing. So any software made for Android will suffer. DJI won't be the only cool drone in town for long. Autel is making one that looks amazing. We need competition, its good for us as consumers. Apple is known for muscling in on other companies. I do not think they will buy them. More like partner with them. I could see a spark or mavic in the Apple store. They almost look like they were meant to be used by Apple.

I've been pondering this for a while .. so I'll just ask ... as a UK Android S6 Edge phone and spark fly more owner with warranty and refresh .. what's my best option ? At present I'm using wifi and version 4.1.15 of the dji go app and it connects and seems ok but still the weather hasn't given me chance to go outside yet so all I've been doing is filling my head full of knowledge and tips . So thanks in advance for any advice .
I do have an OTG cable which I have tried and that worked well but I don't want to fly outside and invalidate my cover until it's official .
I can use an old iphone 6s solely for the spark but is it really worth it ?

Last edited:
Autel is making one that looks amazing. We need competition,
I think competition is essential in any marketplace, but DJI is just WAY ahead of the competition. 3DR couldn't compete because they contracted out all of the manufacturing, thus constantly ran into delays & shortages. Secondly, every time a competitor would release a new product, DJI would drop prices.

Also, please note that Autel isn't exactly new to the drone marketplace, the currently sell the X-Star which oddly enough looks like the Phantom.

In recent news from Las Vegas electronic show DJI has announced some new equipment and products. The sad part of the news was the part that DJI will be marketing these new items exclusively thru Apple retail stores to start. The marriage of Apple with DJI has revealed it's ugliness in full color. If we all thought that the problems we have been experiencing with our Android devices were glitches in programming, not so. If Apple gets their way with DJI, which we all know they will, our problems and deletion of features have only begun. It will not take long for Apple to make sure all DJI drones will be IOS only programming, bullies like Apple and DJI will make sure Android users will be pushed out and for the consumer, we definitely can forget about any customer service, as if there was any to start with, any problems with programming or lost features will be dealt with as usual, we are working on it. They have already proven that with the OTG connection, half a dozen updates since it didn't work and still not working. The stench of rotting apples is truly making its way into the drone business and it seems to be coming from the DJI headquarters.

As soon as Autel announce the final specs on the EVO i am getting that one, apple is a POS and would never touch those and quiet honestly DJI is becoming that for me as well. But yes as long as Autel doesn't do something shitty like what DJI is doing I am buying it.

In recent news from Las Vegas electronic show DJI has announced some new equipment and products. The sad part of the news was the part that DJI will be marketing these new items exclusively thru Apple retail stores to start. The marriage of Apple with DJI has revealed it's ugliness in full color. If we all thought that the problems we have been experiencing with our Android devices were glitches in programming, not so. If Apple gets their way with DJI, which we all know they will, our problems and deletion of features have only begun. It will not take long for Apple to make sure all DJI drones will be IOS only programming, bullies like Apple and DJI will make sure Android users will be pushed out and for the consumer, we definitely can forget about any customer service, as if there was any to start with, any problems with programming or lost features will be dealt with as usual, we are working on it. They have already proven that with the OTG connection, half a dozen updates since it didn't work and still not working. The stench of rotting apples is truly making its way into the drone business and it seems to be coming from the DJI headquarters.
How come DJI's hottest new drone, Phantom 4 Pro Plus comes WITH A BUILT IN ANDROID CONTROLLER/SCREEN? I live in Palo Alto, CA, heart of the Sillycon Valley, and Adroid rules, not Apple, stick a fork in Apple, they're done. Google has clobbered them with Android, it took out Apple's huge school market in less than two years; every one of their products and services are in trouble. Bank on Android, Intel is.

How come DJI's hottest new drone, Phantom 4 Pro Plus comes WITH A BUILT IN ANDROID CONTROLLER/SCREEN?
Because DJI has control of the hardware that is being used on that controller, just like the CrystalSky.

Android is congested and development for that device means making multiple versions. Android is fragmentation city. So you have older software and newer software clashing. So any software made for Android will suffer. DJI won't be the only cool drone in town for long. Autel is making one that looks amazing. We need competition, its good for us as consumers. Apple is known for muscling in on other companies. I do not think they will buy them. More like partner with them. I could see a spark or mavic in the Apple store. They almost look like they were meant to be used by Apple.
Already for sale in apple stores
Screenshot_20180120-192200.jpg

[emoji16]Screenshot_20180120-192200.jpg

$100 bucks more for the Mavic because it's painted that gawd awful white? Puuhleease!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers