Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Disturbing news for Android users

This thread got Spicy real quick xD
True and I don't know why. I and a few others were only trying to point out some of the misconceptions surrounding Android.

Its because some people just cant accept obvious truths and have to get abusive, its the way they react when they have nothing else [emoji16]

Reactions: shorttimer
I still got my iphone 3, 4 and iPad 2nd gen.....wonder if I can still use those. LOL....or should I just let them RIP in the store room. [emoji23]

100% agree...I can count on 2 hands how many times I've flown my Spark since the OTG removal.
I Talked to a Dji Rep yesterday and I am a reseller...They have taken the precaution of taking it ..OTG...out at the moment and there development programme team are working on including it OFICIALLY...into the SDK ...
He told me they are close to integrating as it was never going to be a feature but they can't sit on there hands as so many people are doing it UNSAFELY..
As he said the wifi isn't working as Good as they hoped because the Spark is a wholey WIFI PRODUCT....
He told me be patient it is COMING

I Talked to a Dji Rep yesterday and I am a reseller...They have taken the precaution of taking it ..OTG...out at the moment and there development programme team are working on including it OFICIALLY...into the SDK ...
He told me they are close to integrating as it was never going to be a feature but they can't sit on there hands as so many people are doing it UNSAFELY..
As he said the wifi isn't working as Good as they hoped because the Spark is a wholey WIFI PRODUCT....
Well thats good news but, like waypoints which DJI have been promising for months with a new SDK seeing will be believing [emoji106]

Reactions: craig Dixon
Well thats good news but, like waypoints which DJI have been promising for months with a new SDK seeing will be believing [emoji106]
Yes Dave can't wait for that as I have been an Avid user of waypoints on litchi with my p3 pro but got the spark for quick easy missions...
My Dji Rep was pretty sure it wasn't far off OTG I mean ....Didnt think of asking about waypoints...
Cheers Craig

Yes, I've heard similar from a DJI employee. Common sense dictates that they (DJI) can't be happy over this WIFI issue.

Yes Dave can't wait for that as I have been an Avid user of waypoints on litchi with my p3 pro but got the spark for quick easy missions...
My Dji Rep was pretty sure it wasn't far off OTG I mean ....Didnt think of asking about waypoints...
Cheers Craig
[emoji106]I have had assurances from DJI that their app developers are working on Waypoints for the spark and it wont be long before the SDK activating them will be released maybe the same one with OTG support [emoji16]

[emoji106]I have had assurances from DJI that their app developers are working on Waypoints for the spark and it wont be long before the SDK activating them will be released maybe the same one with OTG support [emoji16]
I Agree the Spark is one of there biggest successfull products so it's going to happen just when....
Also he told me Apple IOS products are Definetly there focus which as an Avid Samsung galaxy note user I find a hard pill to swallow but I have to agree the just does not even have to think about working on IOS devices...I use my ipad mini 2 ...Works great everytime....
Android always had issues when new app versions come out ...its like a marriage that just has the occasional disagreement...Lol
Apple and Dji are like that perfect couple that you see from the outside that look like the perfect sitcom couple..lol
Just my experience..
Cheers Craig

Reactions: Dave woods
This thread got Spicy real quick xD
Yes, it seems like some people get quite abrasive if someone doesn't agree with them.

There is always "I am not aware it works like that - can you clarify?" or...

"I see why you might thing that way but this is what I believe."

The theads will come up with the correct answer sooner or later, sometimes it is just better to zip it if you can't say anything positive and just view the answers. But calling people liars or personal attacks adds absolutely no value.

You must realise that hardware isn't the only issue, then. Having to support countless devices running various flavours of an operating system is most certainly bothersome, though :) The Android operating system itself (skinned or not) plays a huge part, as it provides a core set of API methods for software to interact with. Some of these won't change much over time, but some will. Other methods will be added over time and older methods removed. This is fine if everyone stays up to date but since Android's adoption rate of the latest operating system is so poor compared to Apple's devices, it's a nightmare to maintain reliable, fast, cutting-edge (DJI Go 4 must aspire to be all three of those - this isn't a todo list app) apps without leaving people behind. All developers want to use the latest and greatest, of course, but on Android you simply can't – especially if your app is business critical and, in DJI's case, must be 100% reliable so that drones don't fall from the sky. They could support ONLY the latest one or two versions of Android OS, but then they'd be cutting out a lot of people and there'd be even more rants.

As a developer who needs to develop on multiple platforms I can testify that unless your app is super-basic (i.e. a glorified webview), developing on iOS is a LOT faster and painless. I 100% stand behind DJI launching on Apple first – purely because that's the app they've got ready for public release first.. so why wait for the Android devs to stop scratching their heads? As someone who uses both iOS and Android devices I'm okay with this. If I only had Android I would also be okay with it as my current hardware/software still does its job and I'd prefer to wait for bug-free software/hardware than something rushed.

Ok... not to take any sides... I have beem in IT for 20 years and support both IOS and Android....etc....

Reactions: Jtlrwells
What he said..lol
Like I said Apple just works but I prefer Android for the open door access and my file manager otg and so on...

Reactions: Gioser
In recent news from Las Vegas electronic show DJI has announced some new equipment and products.

It is possible that Autel Robotics will step in to fill the void if DJI abandons Android.
The new Autel EVO appears to be a potentially strong competitor to Mavic, although we don't yet know what DJI will announce on January 23.

3 times here, lost connection first 2 times and crashed at full speed the last time with no connection, all this within 200 ft of distance and not even 50 ft in height. Luckily only broken blades and one light pod under one motor, been a man cave artifact since
Are you using an apple or Android device?

I can get about 500 feet in a heavily congested wifi area and about 2,500-3,000 in an open field. Probably just give the Spark to my son-in-law and I'll continue using my other devices
Are you using an apple or Android device?

An interesting (and long) discussion. Thanks to the contributors.

Apple and DJI have a lot in common. DJI even uses the Apple style market release strategies (mostly) with similar effect. However I think Apple would be silly to buy DJI. It would take just one rogue drone to bring down a plane and they're done. Be similar to an iPhone catching fire and killing a bunch of people.

I'm a big DJI fan because their basic flight stabilisation / control is (IMHO) the best by a big margin. I use Android on a cheaper end phone (Motorola G4 Plus) with reasonable results and reliability. I do not have any plans to upgrade the very stable combination of app and firmware I use now, so don't really care if there is never another Android release.

Reactions: aviscomi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers