Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Disturbing news for Android users

We should stop using cellphones to fly..... Integrated rc with screen...is the way to go
If you need with video out for an external monitor or googles
As long as you are able to install 3rd party apps like Litchi. The P4P+ already does have an integrated screen based on Android but you can’t install 3rd party apps.

Oh no....I vowed never to go back to iPhones and iPads. They lack functionalities but cost a lot more. Better hope they dont end up like Nokia.
I wouldn't ever go back to using an iphone or ipad again either .. they really do suck in functionality compared to android .
Plus as long as the spark continues to work fine using the old version 4.1.15 , why worry .

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodrigo Herrera
I wish Samsung's multimillion dollar robotics lab would put out some competition in the drone market!

Sir how is it useless information? Are you disputing that there is not anywhere near 200+ various Android devices on available on the market today? This article states there are more than 24,000 (yes thousand) unique Android devices.

There are now more than 24,000 different Android devices
Ok... not to take any sides... I have beem in IT for 20 years and support both IOS and Android. To talk about the devices issue going on... Yes, there are many more device platforms on Android than Apple but Android makes 1 major release (like Oreo) and then standard updates. The individual manufactures of the devices come out with THEIR programming for each device. Example, I cannot install Android 8 (Oreo) on a Galaxy Note 4 because Samsung has not created the programming for that hardware.
Same release standards with Apple but there are no separate device manufacturers, only themselves.
If I am creating an appliccation that specifically designed for a kind of hardware on Android, yes, it will be very difficult to keep up and make additions for every kind of device and their specific platform compared to IOS. However, if the application does not take advantage of any specific hardware, then it is rather easy and I can program the app to rely only on the base OS, then it is about the same to develop for Android and IOS.
The DJI software does not rely on specific hardware profiles so it should not be that difficult to support on either platform. There must be limitations on both sides for support. I have had faulty hardware in both IOS and Android and the app support should not be required to support that.
There are + and - for both platforms... but seeing how Apple can purposely affect millions (if not billions) of older devices just to force the purchase of newer devices (and masks it for a different reason) really scares me away from IOS.
There should be no reason to NOT have the same support on IOS or Android for DJI. I completely understand why they would not support the OTG but it should be the same for all their drones because of the hardware issue... but.... they should not LIMIT it either. If it works, then great... if not, you will need to get a different device. I had an issue with a BRAND new Lenovo tablet. It is AESOME but would not connect at all with OTG. I got an Asus Zenpad 8 and it works perfectly.
This has nothing to do with the software or should be DJI support. It is a manufacture thing (Lenovo).
I hope this helps some and I love my Spark on OTG with the ZenPad 8... and I really hope they open the OTG support in future releases because it's the right thing to do for their community... the ones that buy their products which pays their bills and payroll (and makes a name for DJI good enough for a large organization to even want to purchase them). A good analogy... Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Reactions: aviscomi
Sorry but IOS devices runming the same version of the O/S which is most are identical to code for whereas android with its multiple front ends manufacturer tweaks and different hardware is a nightmare and when your coding for a device with the ability to fly safe operation is a parampunt consideration
Exactly what I've been saying in a prior post(s), but apparently some have refused to accept those facts.

Reactions: Dave woods
Exactly what I've been saying in a prior post(s), but apparently some have refused to accept those facts.
Not hardware related, but here is a direct quote from a DJI Engineer in reference to why it's difficult

upload_2018-1-14_13-40-55.png

Reactions: Dave woods
he DJI software does not rely on specific hardware profiles

Many of you that are members of the RC Groups forum do/should know that Blade Strike is a DJI Engineer. Please note the 2nd paragraph in the screenshot below. Notice how he specifically references hardware.

upload_2018-1-14_14-16-38.png

True...I guess that DJI is just out to "screw" them :)
No DJI is out to make the safest Drones they possibly can whilst giving them the best control systems and made of the best materials for a reasonable price and IOS is the best way forward for the control part while we still use phones and tablets to contdol them.

Crystalsky DJIs own tablet is Android based wtf are you talking about
Thanks for your polite reply and seeing as you obviously know everything you will know that crystalsky runs on a version of android that DJI have total control over and of course you will have taken in the part where I said while we still have to use phones and tablets, the fact still stands at the moment IOS is DJI's best choice for end users who have to use their phones and tablets as it is a ring fenced O/S that is easy to code for every IOS device out there, the discussion isnt about which O/ S is better I happen to love android and use an S8 + as my daily phone but an Ipad for my drones, its about safety and having a control device that can be reliable and as safe and functional as possible, thats WTF i was on about [emoji16]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast