Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Crash report - Battery level malfunction

alexb123

Join
Oct 24, 2017
My Spark seemed to malfunction causing a fatal crash. I was flying in an open space with clear operating conditions and warm weather. I flew around taking video for about 8 minutes. Then I brought it back close to home to take some photos of the villa I was staying at for a few minutes, thinking that once I received the low battery warning (set at 30%) I'd be able to quickly come back in and land. I trusted the battery alert and was focused on taking the photos so I did not notice that the battery level bar was stuck in the green. Next, I suddenly received the "critically low voltage level" warning, and the Spark began its automatic descent. Within 10 seconds of the alert, the drone lost power and fell from the sky.

My flight record for that flight oddly does not show in the DJI GO 4 app (Android), but the log file is in the DJI Assistant program and I was able to find the log file in my phone. Here is the flight log viewer for the fatal flight:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

You can clearly see that at 38% battery, the indicator got stuck and therefore I never received the low battery/RTH warning. Meanwhile the voltage kept dropping and dropping. Once it hit a critical level, at 13m 52.3s, the critical alert was shown and at 14m 3.6s the drone lost power.

I'm hoping and expecting that this will be determined to be an equipment defect/malfunction and covered under warranty. I'm traveling for another month so unfortunately I'm stuck carrying this dead weight until I can get back to the USA to mail it to DJI. (Presuming they won't allow me to get it repaired/replaced under warranty at the authorized repair center in Bangkok).

In my post-crash research I found related issues with the Phantoms, but none with the Spark. I'm hoping some of you will be able to take a look at the flight record and offer guidance or further information on the factors and cause of the crash.

I'm shocked by what you wrote..no forum users who spend more to buy a drone by the name dji these things are inadmissible..però the strange thing is that after a certain percentage of the battery he does RTH .. it is clear that the battery went ko

Update: DJI looked at the data and determined the crash was due to non-pilot error. Therefore the repair will be covered under warranty.

Reactions: Sparkbart
Update: DJI looked at the data and determined the crash was due to non-pilot error. Therefore the repair will be covered under warranty.
Great news!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef