Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Connecting RC to spark

roswellj

Join
Nov 8, 2017
Sorry if this is a question that has already been asked.
It seems that every time I use the spark I have to press the button on the back of the spark for 3 seconds and also put the rc into pairing mode. Surely you should just be able to turn each on and they should automatically connect to one another or am I missing something?
The sequence I normally do is...
Turn on Remote,
Connect Phone to remote,
Turn on spark,
go through 30 seconds of trying to get them to connect to each other.
They came in the fly more combo together.

Surely you should just be able to turn each on and they should automatically connect to one another
Right. That's what my Spark does.

How exactly are you connecting your phone to the remote controller?

What happens if you do nothing but turn on the Spark, turn on the remote controller, and wait? Does the light on the remote controller eventually turn green?

That's probably the case. The Spark and remote controller never instantly connect when powered on.

Reactions: RadioMike
I went to the DJI store yesterday asking how to hook up the OTG cable so I wouldn't have to use the Wi-Fi, they recommend using the cable every time because it can increase the stability of the video feed.

Here's the steps to do it that way:
-Turn on remote
-Turn on Spark
-Let them connect (green light on RC)
-Open app on phone
-Plug in OTG cable to phone
The "Go Fly" button should come alive and then you're ready to rock

Reactions: Doug Ross
I fly with OTG religiously... once usb debugging is properly setup, GO4 should launch automatically within seconds of the cable being plugged in.

My procedure is to first power up the Spark, then the remote. I wait about 10 seconds for communication to establish between the them, then unlock my phone. With the cable already plugged into the phone, I then plug into the remote. Almost immediately, I get a connection *ding* and phone prompt in the system tray stating its plugged in as a usb accessory. Within less than 10 seconds, GO4 automatically launches and is good to go fly.

If GO4 doesn't launch within 15 seconds, I unplug the cable at the controller, wait a couple of ticks, then re-connect. Works everytime for me using a Samsung Galaxy Amp Prime (version 1) running Android 6.0.1/Marshmallow.

On other phones I've tried, GO4 doesn't auto launch. It seems to be related to a connection option dialog which is presented during the initial connection attempt. Make sure you select "MTP" for connection type when prompted by the phone the very first time you make the attempt. Otherwise, you'll have to dig through your phone's USB debugging options to enable MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).

Three highly important things to note... first, not all usb cables are created equal. Some are only good for charging, and will not provide a data connection, period. Second, some are picky as to the direction they're plugged in, so you might try reversing the cable if having issues. Third, and most important, USB debugging must be enabled on your device to start with.

Hope this helps ;-)

I fly with OTG religiously... once usb debugging is properly setup, GO4 should launch automatically within seconds of the cable being plugged in.

My procedure is to first power up the Spark, then the remote. I wait about 10 seconds for communication to establish between the them, then unlock my phone. With the cable already plugged into the phone, I then plug into the remote. Almost immediately, I get a connection *ding* and phone prompt in the system tray stating its plugged in as a usb accessory. Within less than 10 seconds, GO4 automatically launches and is good to go fly.

If GO4 doesn't launch within 15 seconds, I unplug the cable at the controller, wait a couple of ticks, then re-connect. Works everytime for me using a Samsung Galaxy Amp Prime (version 1) running Android 6.0.1/Marshmallow.

On other phones I've tried, GO4 doesn't auto launch. It seems to be related to a connection option dialog which is presented during the initial connection attempt. Make sure you select "MTP" for connection type when prompted by the phone the very first time you make the attempt. Otherwise, you'll have to dig through your phone's USB debugging options to enable MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).

Three highly important things to note... first, not all usb cables are created equal. Some are only good for charging, and will not provide a data connection, period. Second, some are picky as to the direction they're plugged in, so you might try reversing the cable if having issues. Third, and most important, USB debugging must be enabled on your device to start with.

Hope this helps ;-)
"Usb debugging properly setup"

Can you explain what you mean?

Thanks

"Usb debugging properly setup"

Can you explain what you mean?

Thanks
First and foremost, it must be enabled on your phone or tablet for the OTG link. By default, its not available until you enable [Developer Options], as that opens up a lot of settings most users have no business messing with.

Once [Developer Options] are enabled, go in there and tick the box enabling [USB Debugging], along with another option just below that called [MTP], to turn on the Media Transfer Protocol.

Without those two settings enabled, your phone's USB port is basically only good for charging. If you connect an OTG cable and the phone starts to charge from the remote battery, then USB Debugging or MTP is not active.

To enable [Developer Options], go into phone settings > About and find the [Build Number] line. Rapidly tap that line until you see a popup stating "You are now a developer". Go back to settings, and just above [About], you'll now see [Developer Options] available.

It takes 7 *rapid* taps to make this happen. During the process, you'll see a popup stating "you are now (X) steps away from being a developer". Just keep tapping until it enables for you.

Be careful with what you mess with in there btw. You only need enable Debugging and MTP for the OTG cable to function. Again, without those two settings ticked off, the OTG cable won't work no matter what else you try.

Feel free to PM me if you have any issues with getting the OTG link functional. It makes a world of difference in FPV quality for me, as a hard wired connection is typically always more stable than wireless. If for no other reason, its one less signal to worry about flaking out due to interference. Too bad it doesn't work on the Phantoms :-(

Oh, one more thing that initially confused me about the OTG cable itself. Its nothing more than a USB cable with micro usb on both ends. Its nothing special otherwise.

I use an adaptor that slips inside the regular full sized USB end, instead of the bulky ones that slip over it. I picked up a 5 pack off amazon for less than $5, and wish I'd grabbed the 10 pack for like $6.88. They're useful to plug thumb drives, mice, keyboards, etc directly into your phone as well. I crimped the big USB end (slightly) to keep the adaptor from sliding out when unplugging, or accidentally during flight.

What really confused me was the "lightening" cable btw... those are only for Apple products since they have to go proprietary every chance they can.

First and foremost, it must be enabled on your phone or tablet for the OTG link. By default, its not available until you enable [Developer Options], as that opens up a lot of settings most users have no business messing with.

Once [Developer Options] are enabled, go in there and tick the box enabling [USB Debugging], along with another option just below that called [MTP], to turn on the Media Transfer Protocol.

Without those two settings enabled, your phone's USB port is basically only good for charging. If you connect an OTG cable and the phone starts to charge from the remote battery, then USB Debugging or MTP is not active.

To enable [Developer Options], go into phone settings > About and find the [Build Number] line. Rapidly tap that line until you see a popup stating "You are now a developer". Go back to settings, and just above [About], you'll now see [Developer Options] available.

It takes 7 *rapid* taps to make this happen. During the process, you'll see a popup stating "you are now (X) steps away from being a developer". Just keep tapping until it enables for you.

Be careful with what you mess with in there btw. You only need enable Debugging and MTP for the OTG cable to function. Again, without those two settings ticked off, the OTG cable won't work no matter what else you try.

Feel free to PM me if you have any issues with getting the OTG link functional. It makes a world of difference in FPV quality for me, as a hard wired connection is typically always more stable than wireless. If for no other reason, its one less signal to worry about flaking out due to interference. Too bad it doesn't work on the Phantoms :-(
Hmm, I was able to connect my S5 Neo without going thru this process, but I thank you very much for the detailed info. -I am using a double micro ended cable with the host end plugged into the remote.

Cheers

-Turn on remote
-Turn on Spark
-Open app on phone

Same here but I don't open the app first...plugging in the OTG cable automatically opens the app (Android).

--

Bill

Reactions: CodyH
The sequence I normally do is...
Turn on Remote,
Connect Phone to remote,
Turn on spark,
go through 30 seconds of trying to get them to connect to each other.
They came in the fly more combo together.

I don't wait for the app to connect. RC on, Spark On, then start loading the phone up. Usually by the time the app has loaded, I'm ready to fly. I suggest turning the Spark on as soon as the lights on the RC say it is on.

Hope this helps ;-)
“debugging options”? MTP? Hope you are joking! Have never performed any of these procedure and my OTG works. I am using Apple, though

OTG has no benefit over 2.4GHz wifi. The transmitter should be set to 5.8GHz by default.
If you power the Spark and the Tx first, there can be no confusion (before connecting the App)But be sure the Tx is set to 5.8GHz.

OTG has no benefit over 2.4GHz wifi. The transmitter should be set to 5.8GHz by default.
If you power the Spark and the Tx first, there can be no confusion (before connecting the App)But be sure the Tx is set to 5.8GHz.
You sure about that??

I went to the DJI store yesterday asking how to hook up the OTG cable so I wouldn't have to use the Wi-Fi, they recommend using the cable every time because it can increase the stability of the video feed.

Here's the steps to do it that way:
-Turn on remote
-Turn on Spark
-Open app on phone

some guy on facebook dji spark forum says using the OTG voids your warranty. is he full of **** or what. I would think if the DJI store guy says it's ok it should not void the warranty right.

I've been curious of that myself. Not sure on the answer but I've been told by DJI in Bangkok that I should use the OTG cable.

BUT! I will tell you that I was flying the other day using the OTG cable and my aircraft somehow got disconnected at a thousand feet and began it's RTH function. Fortunately the function worked great and the drone came home, unfortunately for me I was in a long tail boat shooting over water and had to make a water landing save by catching it while I was swimming. I'm not sure if there was a bad connection between the OTG cable and my phone or what but I don't think I'll be using the cable anymore after that incident.

but doesn't using the cable increase your range and when you use it do you put your phone in airplane mode? I'm new to all this had a Mavic before so this is new to me with spark

is he full of **** or what
Yes. Using an OTG cable could not void the warranty. The Spark is flown with the remote controller, so it doesn't matter whether or not the remote controller is connected to a mobile device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe