Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Compass display in mapbox

Rtristani

Join
Jun 10, 2018
Loc
Newport News, VA, USA
Hello all! I searched for answers on this but couldn't find one. When i click the mapbox from map to direction/attitude display, the compass and direction-to-controller is not accurate. When the display shows the aircraft pointed north, it is about 90 degrees off. When "pointed" at the controller, it is also about 90 degrees off. I recalibrated the compass, but it had no effect. Does anyone know what i am doing wrong?

I had the same problem exactly I tried calibrating the compass at least 20 yards away from the phone the lights on the spark will tell you when calibration is complete it work for me I hope it works for you

Maybe you need also to calibrate the compass of your phone?

Well, i learned something yesterday evening. It is hard to calibrate the compass in a tablet that doesnt have a compass![emoji37] my brand new samsung Galaxy Tab A is not going to be useful for flying. Back to the drawing board on getting a tablet.

Thank you everyone for your help.

You don't need a compass in your tablet to fly.....??
I agree with SuprPHREAK. Why are you worried about the devices compass? It's the compass on the Spark that matters.
See original post :)
To have correct indication where is your Spark the Go4 app need to know its orientation to plot where to look for the Spark.
For the rest, yes, you can live without a compass on the tablet.

See original post :)
To have correct indication where is your Spark the Go4 app need to know its orientation to plot where to look for the Spark.
For the rest, yes, you can live without a compass on the tablet.

Dronason,

Please explain. How/why would the GO4 app need to know the orientation of the phone...why would it need the phones compass at all? The compass on the Spark sends back that data to the app via telemetry. Not arguing at all, just trying to understand.

I'm guessing....if your phone/tablet has a compass, then on the map view you will also see YOUR orientation as well as the drones. Might be handy if you lose it?

This is wholly unnecessary to fly. I have never used it, ever.

I recalibrated the compass, but it had no effect

I would try again on the Spark.
I haven't heard of a device calibration in conjunction with using it with a Spark.

Ensure you are away from metal, wires, pipes, etc. and that all metal is removed from your person as well when calibrating (coins, watch, jewelry).

You may have a defective Spark that needs DJI's attention.

Here is a video showing how the attitude indicator works as it can be a little confusing.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Dronason,

Please explain. How/why would the GO4 app need to know the orientation of the phone...why would it need the phones compass at all? The compass on the Spark sends back that data to the app via telemetry. Not arguing at all, just trying to understand.
The small "radar" icon on the GO4 app should show you in which direction where your spark is. That's useful to point RC antennas in the right direction and check for any low ground air space traffic / birds in the right direction. The app will rotate the radar screen according to its compass indication and the drone direction will be defined by what the drone compass report to the app. App plot where it expect to be the North as a "N" and plot the Spark attitude accordingly to that North position. You will notice that if you rotate your device, the Spark indication will also rotate.

Also in this "radar" view it show you a kind of indication of how much power the Spark is giving to the motor front to rear and left to right. It is from the accelerometer sensor and in flight it is a great indication if you are fighting side or front/back wind. It is fare from a gadget but having a compass in the device is not affecting that functionality.

That's where a simple set of pictures with annotation would be a lot better but for whatever reason my phone seems not to like the hotel wifi where I am currently.

Reactions: suprPHREAK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmirOmerov